Suspicious people? No, merely Canadian

by kurtbethel 54 Replies latest jw friends

• prologos
    prologos

for us in southern Florida it was always " CANADIAN" artic air on the TV weather reports that threatened the Coco palms and the citrus harvest.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

LOL!!! THis forum is killing me tonite guys!

Thanks, jgnat for the Rickyisms! I'm in tears!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Hey, I like Canadians. They are moving in like droves to Florida now, heh? So much, that Publix is always putting Molson on sale.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

On cheese. You forgot one thing. The US Dept of Agriculture is staffed with ex dairy/cheese executives (and meat executives and other foods . . . . . everyone BUT the fruits and veggie folks). Then, this Dept of Agriculture partners with fast foods, like Pizza Hut to develop the Double Stuffed pizza to sell more of thier cheese product. They then help the company advertise, so we buy more, which makes us fatter, so we need more healthccare.

Unfortunately, the US Dept of AGriculture does little to further the fruit and veggies that reach our tables. Imagine how different we would be if the US subsidized healthy foods.

• talesin
    talesin

haha, no, I never heard about the Maple Syrup heist,,, how appropriate! I just had to return a bottle today. I bought it to send to a friend in Central America, but CUSTOMS won't allow me to ship it. It's a 'food product'............ drrrrrrrrrrrr... like MAPLE SYRUP is going to contaminate the local species in central america .... :P

ack!

And so true about prohibition & organized crime, S. *nods head*

xo

tal

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Face it, the Canadian dairy industry is so backwards compared to the American dairy industry.

Americans are so advanced they have Milk Police now. Read it and weep, you Canadians!

Louisiana Milk Police Combat Prices That Are Too Reasonable

• talesin
    talesin

lol! Actually, our milk prices are regulated in the same fashion.......... it's also illegal to sell REAL milk (aka 'fresh').

tal

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

DaCheech - it was true and I think it actually happened in real life. Some jerk in Canada were using American cheese to hike his profits but he got caught and charged - the difference in dairy is that in the USA the ag is very heavily subsidized and they allow the use of growth hormones which then increases the need for antiobiotics in the food. Countries including Canada do not allow the alteration of that food source because of the health implications. Depending on where you live in the USA, the product tastes very different and not in a good way. Sadly, Monsanto and other groups including the US government keep trying to push these products on the rest of the world under the guise of free trade - I support those that want to keep this food out and I believe some of the reasons for obesity around the world, increasing diabetes and so on, is a result of so many alterations in our food supplies.sammieswife

---

rbGH

>>>Other Hormones
    For over 10 years, rBGH (recombinant bovine growth hormone), also known as rBST (recombinant bovine somatotropin), has been a staple in the dairy products consumed by Americans. Since these products are not labeled as containing rBGH / rBST, most consumers have no idea that a growth hormone intended to induce dairy cows to be more productive is in much of their milk, cheese, and yogurt.

After approving the use of rBGH in 1993, the Food and Drug Administration has turned a deaf ear to the pleas of consumers, food safety organizations and scientists to reverse its approval of the hormone, or to simply require labeling of foods containing rBGH. Even a legal challenge by CFS could not force FDA to reexamine the health threats of rBGH. The FDA’s decision stood despite regulatory bodies in both Canada and Europe rejecting the hormone due to numerous animal and human health concerns.In cows treated with rBGH, significant health problems often develop, including a 50 percent increase in the risk of lameness (leg and hoof problems), over a 25 percent increase in the frequency of udder infections (mastitis), and serious animal reproductive problems, i.e., infertility, cystic ovaries, fetal loss and birth defects.

Because rBGH use results in more cases of mastitis, dairy farmers tend to use more antibiotics to combat the infections, the residues of which also may end up in milk and dairy products. These residues can cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals and contribute to the growth of antibiotic resistant bacteria, further undermining the efficacy of some antibiotics in fighting human infections.

Furthermore, recent research has shown conclusively that the levels of a hormone called “insulin-like growth factor-1″ (IFG-1) are elevated in dairy products produced from cows treated with rBGH. Canadian and European regulators have found that the FDA completely failed to consider a study that showed how the increased IGF-1 in rBGH milk could survive digestion and make its way into the intestines and blood stream of consumers. These findings are significant because numerous studies now demonstrate that IGF-1 is an important factor in the growth of cancers of the breast, prostate and colon.

CFS seeks to force the FDA to remove rBGH / rBST from the market through all available legal means. In 1999, CFS, joined by a number of other organizations, filed a legal petition with the FDA requesting that it remove from the market Monsanto’s rBGH / rBST (trade name Posilac). In late 2000, the FDA announced that it was denying that petition. CFS will continue applying legal pressure on this important food safety issue

--------------------------

The Codex Alimentarius Commission , a United Nations body that sets international food standards, has to date refused to approve rBST as safe. The Codex Alimentarius does not have authority to ban or approve the hormone—but its decisions are regarded as a standard and approval by the Codex would have allowed exporting countries to challenge countries with a ban on rBGH before the World Trade Organization . [45]

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Tal - the maple syrup heist was part inside job with a conglomerate based in Vermont. Quebec produces about 80% of the worlds maple syrup and so they can control the price of the stuff kind of like oil. The thieves stole something like 30 million dollars worth of the syrup in tankers and moved it out - a portion went to the east coast and a portion went to the USA. So far they nabbed 3 guys in Quebec and 9 in Vermont - they expect more. I get mine from a local producer from local trees - sweet! sammieswife

• talesin
    talesin

sammieswife .. it's kinba cool, huh?

LOL,, maple syrup! ahahaha

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit