Your God asks for too much

by Qcmbr 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It matters only what Christ teaches... for one who follows Christ.

As far as they know:

In history, slave owners followed Christ.
    Joseph Smith followed Christ.
    C.T. Russell followed Christ.
    The Pope in the Vatican follows Christ.

The list could go on and on of those that believed they were following Christ and yet had differing creeds, traditions, sources of inspiration, understandings about the nature of Christ and Holy Spirit, answers to questions about resurrection and sin and salvation, etc.

If following Christ simply meant "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," then all fine and good, OTWO follows Christ. If following Christ includes believing in the virgin birth and the resurrection, then OTWO does not follow Christ. So somewhere in-between, are some set of rules or doctrines that someone HUMAN must decide. If Christ explains it all, then he hasn't gotten to OTWO yet.

If following Christ simply means you don't have to know which of those things that differ is the correct path, then saloons and prisons are full of followers of Christ. (They actually are, just ask them.)

If following Christ means it's okay for children to be killed by the thousands in a tsunami because it will all work out in the end, we are back to the opening topic; Your God (and/or Christ) asks for too much.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Your God asks for too much

It's quite the opposite, actually. WE ask too much of God. The only thing God asks of any human is to live up to their potential. To live up to their design. When that isn't happening we need to course correct and when it is we reap the benefits of life.

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

XG requires the infantalising of his followers.

Eternal life in bliss is not sufficient reward to compensate for that.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Meh, God can ask whatever he likes. It's a raw deal no matter what he asks for, even change for a phone call.

• tec
    tec

XG requires the infantalising of his followers.

Not in the least. This statement is made in ignorance of the many learned, educated, knowledgeable people who love and are loved by God. Or perhaps it is based on the god you worshipped... the wts god certainly does seem to prefer infantalizing its followers.

OTWO, following Christ means showing love, mercy, forgiveness, faith... serving others, rather than being served. It is no secret that there are many who claim to follow Him (we all mess up, but when we do, we do not attempt to place the blame on Him by twisting His words to make our actions okay... though many people DO this; hence one of the reasons for the confusion), but who do not actually follow Him. When we start to put ourselves before Christ, then we can find a way to justify any of our actions that actually go against His teaching and example.

Peace,

tammy

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

So tec - your God did not die in a blood sacrifice? Your God has no rules or commandments to keep? Your God only asks for the basic social skills that can be achieved without God (I love, forgive, have mercy etc.) Your God saves all people even if only one is faithful (so how far down the ancestral line does this go before it runs out and people start getting eternally punished/ejected from heaven? Your God has never given any commandments via the bible (like penis mutilation) and then changed those commandments? Your God is not responsible nor interested in the ten commandments? Your God asks for no commitment (sacrifice) now for an eternal reward? All sins are paid for immediately now on earth (so your God did not atone for anything and Christs death was just a bad thing that didn't need to happen for human salvation?)

Who the frak is your God - seems like he asks for nothing, promises nothing, cares about nothing and wants to take credit for what the majority of humans do naturally? Please correct as I'm sure you will but note how your initial answer is:

1 - not the xian god nor the god of the bible (and even you must admit that.)

2 - seemingly a god who refutes all need to believe in him (if there are no commandments, no punishments after this life and no rewards then what is there?)

• cofty
    cofty
    This statement is made in ignorance of the many learned, educated, knowledgeable people who love and are loved by God - Tammy

No it was made in spite of the fact that many xtians are educated and intelligent.

Being educated does not protect somebody from being infantalised by religion.

"unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

"My sheep know my voice"

"As slave of christ"

I'm an adult, I follow nobody and slavery is repugnant.

• tec
    tec

So tec - your God did not die in a blood sacrifice?

Christ laid down His life for those He loved, yes.

It was not a blood sacrifice to appease the wrath of God, though. Not a tit for tat as the wts explains it.

Your God has no rules or commandments to keep?

He does. But if one understands love, then one only needs that. If one has love written upon their hearts, instead of upon stone tablets, then one needs no written law.

Your God only asks for the basic social skills that can be achieved without God (I love, forgive, have mercy etc.)

Funny how very many people lack these basic social skills.

We do not live in a world that reflects love, forgiveness, and mercy. These things exist in this world, but this world as a whole does not reflect these things.

Your God saves all people even if only one is faithful

I do not know what you are referring to here.

(so how far down the ancestral line does this go

I do not know. All the way down the line if you are Israel, at least according to Paul, and the promise God made to Abraham.

before it runs out and people start getting eternally punished/ejected from heaven?

No one is in heaven now to get ejected from it, to begin with.

No one is eternally punished either. Some do not enter into the kingdom and into Life, though. The goats... those who are destroyed by the fire that comes down from heaven (these are ones who ride out to destroy those in the kingdom; so their intent is to destroy... no basic social skills at all)

Your God has never given any commandments via the bible (like penis mutilation) and then changed those commandments?

Israel had many physical precedents, that actually have a spiritual meaning. So it might well be that they misunderstood... or that they NEEDED the visual to be able at some point to comprehend the spiritual. (circumcision of the heart)

Your God is not responsible nor interested in the ten commandments?

The ten commandments all stem from the first two - love. Have these... have them all.

Your God asks for no commitment (sacrifice) now for an eternal reward?

I stated in my first post what he asks.

We can also look at Christ's words:

"If you love me, then you will obey my teachings, and my Father will love you, and we will come and make our home with you."

All sins are paid for immediately now on earth (so your God did not atone for anything and Christs death was just a bad thing that didn't need to happen for human salvation?)

The wage of sin is death. All men are in the same boat with that... at least until Christ returns.

Christ... is life. If you have His spirit, then you are 'covered', and death cannot touch you.

So first: Christ came here, he lived under the law, he lived in obedience even to death... doing what we SHOULD be doing: not judging, helping, serving others, walking in faith and truth, even forgiving and asking forgiveness for those who harmed and killed him. He did for us what we are unable to do.

Second: He died, pouring out His blood (not the blood on the ground; but this means His Spirit)... of which He gives to us. Those who have the Spirit of Christ belong to Christ and are covered; so that death has no hold on them; because they belong to Christ who has all authority (including over death)

He also showed us - by leading the way - that we have no need to fear death. That it is not the end; that it has no hold on anyone who belongs to Him.

Who the frak is your God - seems like he asks for nothing, promises nothing, cares about nothing and wants to take credit for what the majority of humans do naturally? Please correct as I'm sure you will but note how your initial answer is:

My God is the Father of Christ, as I stated. Simple.

1 - not the xian god nor the god of the bible (and even you must admit that.)

Which christian god? The wts version? The wbb version? The IFB version? The fire and brimstone version? The Roman Catholic version? The evangelical version? The Calvinist version? Which one?

My God is the Father of Christ. The Father Christ showed us in His teachings, words, deeds.

2 - seemingly a god who refutes all need to believe in him (if there are no commandments, no punishments after this life and no rewards then what is there?)

I never said there were no rewards. Go back and read my original post.

There are those who belong to Christ, His brothers.... and there are also those who did not know Him, but who HE knows by the love in their heart made manifest through their deeds, and in doing good to even the least of his brothers. These are not the 'kings and priests who rule with Christ a thousand years'; but these are still known by Christ and written in his book of Life.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Being educated does not protect somebody from being infantalised by religion.

Yes, well, following Christ doesn't have much to do with religion.

Again, unless that is the teaching of religions such as the wts and such, who do want to keep their adherents from being too educated to see through them.

Becoming like a little child has nothing to do with intelligence or education.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Tammy you are one of the most religious people I have ever encountered.

Becoming like a little child has nothing to do with intelligence or education.

I know, I just said that.

Becoming like a child is by definition infantalising.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit