How Modern Christianity has failed Christians

by Christ Alone 277 Replies latest watchtower bible

• designs
    designs

jgnat- christianity has to make the choice on whether this world will go on or meets its End on some Judgement Day. When we were JWs we rarely if ever got involved in environmental projects because of the belief in the Big A and I see the Churches at the same crossroads with more and more leaving the Judgement Day belief behind in favor of the earth having a future and they need to be part of that forward thinking belief.

• Terry
    Terry

Christianity is founded on a demonstrably false claim.

It has claimed that Jesus would return and restore god's kingdom.

A reasonable time period has elapsed for this to occur.

A wife nags her husband and says, "The roof is leaking--please repair it."

The husband replies, "I'm going to, but, first I'm going to home repair store to get some tools. I'll be back soon."

The husband leaves and drives off.

The wife waits for the entire remaining span of her life.

Her daughter waits for the span of her life.

Her children and grand children and great grand children wait, too.

How reasonable is it to conclude that the descendants of that wife are clinging to a false hope of roof repair?

I call "TIME" on Jesus. Game over.

Two millennia and still counting?

Let's all move on.

• jgnat
    jgnat

...christianity has to make the choice on whether this world will go on or meets its End on some Judgement Day. - designs

Just a thought, designs. The world will do what it does regardless of what we think.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I would agree, Terry, that Jesus failed the messiah test. Still, he had revolutionary ideas on how to treat the untouchables, the poor, the downtrodden, the widow and orphan.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Designs,

Jw's may not be that interested in the environment, but many Christian organizations are.

http://christianteens.about.com/od/christianliving/tp/8-Christian-Environmental-Organizations.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_environmentalism

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/apr/27/catholicism.religion

The judeo-christian faiths are suppose to take seriously the commandment of God to be stewards of creation.

• cofty
    cofty

Its been a very long time since Christianity said anything interesting.

CA - Equiping young people to argue for biblical inerrancy is to set them up for a fall.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You will note, PSacramento, that I have repudiated a commonly held "Christian" belief, not Christianity itself.

• designs
    designs

PS- You have to see the correlation between these christian religions getting away from the earth being destroyed in a Judgement Day scenario and adopting the view that the earth will go on which necessitates becomeing a better steward. For a Orthodox Jew who does not believe in a afterlife, ala the Torah, and that this is it and what you do now benefits your future generations stewardship of the earth is a natural fit.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Christ Alone wrote:

due to the large amount of help that Christianity currently gives to those in need, would we notice if it was gone? Again, yes.

Of course we would notice a gap in the infrastructure of charitable work, practically speaking. If the infrastructure currently used by Christianity were still used to help those in need, but if the Christian beliefs (depending on denomination might include things like the talking snake, original sin, talking donkey, boat full of animals, killing of firstborn, man in a whale, need to be born again, weeping and knashing of teeth, lake of fire, worm will not die, etc.) were no longer held by anyone, what exactly would people quickly realize (as you originally claimed) is so important about those beliefs?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Deuteronomy 20:19

19 When you lay siege to a city for a long time, fighting against it to capture it, do not destroy its trees by putting an ax to them, because you can eat their fruit. Do not cut them down. Are the trees people, that you should besiege them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit