How Modern Christianity has failed Christians

by Christ Alone 277 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mP
    mP

Christ ALone"

The 7th Earl of Shaftsbury was inspired by his faith to do many things.
    He became a Tory MP (Member of Parliament) in 1826, and almost immediately became a leader of the movement for factory reform. He was responsible for promoting a plethora of reform causes, including the Factory Acts of 1847 and 1853, the Ten Hour Bill, as well as the Mines and Collieries Act 1842 and the Lunacy Act 1845. One of his chief interests was the welfare of children, and he was chairman of the Ragged Schools Union and a keen supporter of Florence Nightingale. He was also involved as patron and president in the field of model dwellings companies, which sought to improve the housing of working classes in England.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Ashley-Cooper,_7th_Earl_of_Shaftesbury

mP:

Another example of the individual. How do you explain the opposition of the church to the abolishment of slavery then ? Of course its simple to see these reforms were beause he wanted to do good, while the main church was involved in business overall. Simple facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_views_on_slavery

. In 1844, the Methodist Episcopal Church split into northern and southern wings over the issue of slavery. In 1845, the Baptists in the South formed the Southern Baptist Convention due to disputes with Northern Baptists over slavery and missions. [113]

Some members of fringe Christian groups like the Christian Identity movement, and the Ku Klux Klan (an organization dedicated to the "empowerment of the white race"), and Christian Reconstructionists still argue that slavery is justified by Christian doctrine today.

The somple fact is abolishment hapened because England used the Royal Navy to stop the slave traders and was amongst the first to free slaves on a grand scale which eventually resulted in everyone else copyng.

The Catholic church did nothing to stop slavery.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Christ Alone, why are you claiming Save the Children has something to do with religion? It was founded by Eglantyne Jebb and her sister Dorothy Buxton. Eglantyne was an activist for starving children in Europe during World War 1 and Dorothy was married to a politician. The background is activist, fund-raising and political as far as I know.

• designs
    designs

Study the history of the Pueblo Peoples in the South Western United States. When the Catholic Spaniards came across them they saw a people with developed villages and extensive farming. These peoples were then subjugated and when conquered were forced to convert to christianity. Protestants and Catholics alike exerted Manifest Destiny and Rule by Divine Right upon the peoples of Asia Africa North and South America. The christians stole lands that were not theirs, butchered and destroyed an entire way of life, they had native children change their names to 'christian' names and denied them to use their native languages and cultures.

Christians pick up on a conscious and subconsious level the that they must 'rule' the world just like their Leader said he would do crushing all opposition.

• mP
    mP

designs:

No Conquerers aka opportnists make up any bullshit so they can steal and enslave others. We see the same in the OT where the Jews under Joshua, attack other towns and then boast about the gold, women they raped etc. Tehre are even laws that say the Jews can let go off captured virgins if they get sick of them in Moses writings. Xians will tell you the reason for the wars in the OT is because the enemy worshipped pagain gods. However that does not explain the bounty boasts and surprisingly the jews never attack poor towns with ugly women. Its obivously bullshite to justify their violence. The xians also only wanted to convert natives that had something for them to steal etc.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Modern Christi-SCAM-ity has failed all Christians and are trying to bring everyone else in the world down with them. Judaism is also a failure, as is Islam. None of them can teach people the truth about spirituality, and all try to suppress science. They all advocate mistreatment of women, suppression of sexuality, and advocate use of torture and slavery to recruit members and retain existing members. This is a symptom that they lack substance.

Perhaps it's time to look into spiritual Satanism? If jehovah, allah, and jesus all fail their followers, and they all claim Satan as their adversary, could it be that Satan is merely an Adversary of the ultimate scam? At least in Satanism, there is no mistreatment of women, no suppression of sexuality including homosexuality and group sex, no advocating of torture and slavery to gain members, and no extortion to keep members in line (and, hence, nothing to hide). Stupidity is the only major sin there, and that means you are supposed to research and experiment. Perhaps it's high time for Satan to get the respect He deserves, as He was the one that tried saving you and me from slavery to jehovah right from the beginning.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I think these replies are telling. An intellectually honest person would say that while they don't believe in Christianity, there have been many good things to come out of it. However, mp can't even admit to that. He is so angry with religion, he can't even say, "yeah, Christians have been responsible for a lot of good. The Red Cross, Salvation Army, countless Christian missions and hospitals have helped our culture." But no. The bitterness is so strong it's almost a poison that requires that all good be covered up so that the outrageous claim can incorrectly be made that Christianity has been responsible for no good. It's almost not worth arguing with a person like that. I wish I could say that I was surprised by this attitude of mp, designs, and others.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I'll certainly give you this one CA

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Also the work of the church is always the work of individuals. They have let the teachings of the scriptures to take care of the poor, the sick, orphans, and widows affect them and move them to action. The fact that mp cannot even acknowledge the positive effects of Christianity and cannot even use the word "Christianity" is telling. He still wants to hold to the erroneous claim that Christian out has "never done good". It's such a misstatement it is almost laughable. The best he can do is acknowledge something positive that was done and then try to twist the conversation into what negative things were done instead. Yet, if he went to a st Mary's hospital he would benefit from the support of the church without a question. One of the worst sorts of atheists in my opinion. I'll let what few things I've shown that Christians have done speak for themselves.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Modern Christianity has failed anyone, Christians on the other had, have.

IMO it is a case of not enough Christ, not a case of too much Christ.

I do think that preachers and such should be far better trained to deal with the controversies and modern issues ( that really aren't that modern at all but seem to keep rearing their heads every so often).

The whole notion of Christianity being anti-this or that ( anti-science for example) is just to silly to even bother with and yet, soem still perpetuate that myth and as such, preachers need to be aware of what their flock is going through, far more than they are now.

That many atheists know the bible better than many Christians ( even if they may only know THEIR understanding of it) is a sign that Christians are failing themselves in the teeachings of the bible that tell us to be equipped to defend our faith.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Thanks for getting the thread back on topic Psac.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit