Rumors that they spread about you. When you left.

by jerome 30 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The only one I knew to have spread rumors about me was my ex-wife. You see, our divorce was based upon HER adultery, but since she is still an active JW (having merely gotten her wrist slapped by the elders) and since I have abandoned the cult, it was very easy for her to convince everyone that I was the guilty party. In fact, she was spreading rumors that I was gay (I’m not), that I had a girlfriend when we were together (I didn’t), that I’m an apostate (welll…) etc. etc. It was effective enough that when I went back to our old area for a wedding (my daughter's best friend), half the people there wouldn't acknowledge my existence.

Tom

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

i heard from a girl i got into contact with after i'd been out for 6 yrs or so that people said i was a lesbian. i guess showing up to a DC with my new short and bleached hairstyle translated into lesbian to my jw "friends" . i guess the guy i had with me didn't factor into their thinking. i've never really given a shit about what people think about me so it didn't bother me. i just laughed about it all. in fact it's quite funny now since i have had a few lesbian experiences hehe. and just a month ago or so, when i went to see my brothers band play, there were tons of witnesses there. i went with my best friend who is a lesbian. we both have our tongues pierced (i was not hiding my piercing nor my tatts) hmmm, wonder if the rumors started again hehehe. my motto: Fuck 'em! :)

• larc
    larc

Friends, Romans, Countryman, lend me your ear,

Jerome sent me a lengthy email which explained his point of view. I sent a response back to him with a note of encouragement. Now, that, my friends, is the way to handle conflict.

Rags,

I forgot to welcome you to our family, so welcome.

Regarding my post to Jerome, my response was based on a long history of posts which I found confusing, so I am not going to summarize all that, which would be contraproductive at this point. As I noted, Jerome and I have exchanged private emails, which I think, has resolved my issues with him.

• Mulan
    Mulan

There always is a nitpicker. I just don't understand the problem with this thread. It seems a logical question, so here is the gossip about us.

Mainly it was about my husband, an elder for 25 years. The rumors have it that:
    1. we celebrate Christmas in July (I have no idea why........maybe someone saw me buy some green candles one summer)
    2. he has started his own church
    3. he is calling everyone to tell them his 'lies'.......not true. He has called not ONE PERSON, to tell them anything.

There are probably more, but those are the ones that make us laugh the most. We don't know who started them, but we have enough friends still in the Borg, that they tell us what they hear, and from whom, but the origin of the stories is vague.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I DAed myself while "in good standing" and had always be "a fine example". Apparently, because of this, they were not able to image me doing anything terrible, so they tried to "kill" me off!

Well not exactly "kill", but according to the rumors, I became deathly ill and was on the verge of dieing. LOL! I guess that was supposed to be their god’s vengeance for leaving.

I am and always have been in superb health. One nurse even described me as "disgustingly health". Hehe

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• mouthy
    mouthy

They said I went off my head after my husband died.
    The sad thing was they wouldnt speak to me so I could tell them I went off my head while my Husband was alive- By joining them!!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I am not sure of what they spread about me but I was later reinstated and there was a number of Jdubs that would treat me differently. The bunch of hypocritical bastards.

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• ShaunaC
    ShaunaC

I'm not sure of specific rumors but I'm sure there is plenty. I'm almost positive rumors were spread around that I probably had some STD or was on drugs because I lost a bit of weight and got into shape soon after leaving. Basically I started to look hot and so I must be doing something horrible.

I doo know for a fact that many who were like family, fathers & grandmothers...who previously praised me for being the ideal young JW woman...now all of the sudden exclaimed they never really liked me anyway and always thought I was mean to my ex-hubby. What BS!

• KD
    KD

When I was disfellowshiped, I was in good standing with all the membership. I just wanted out of the organization. I went off to college and joined a fraternity for the time of my life. I periodicly bumped into old friends whom would keep me up to date with the activities and gossip of my old Kingdom Hall. To the best of my knowledge, there were no rumors about me. As I write this, I realize that the people were actually nice to me.

After graduation I moved to another state and years later decided that I wanted to come back. I contacted a kingdom Hall near my house and started to attend meetings. I would sit in my car until the music started and then enter the hall. As I entered, most of the people whom were comming in late would smile and nod at me. (Of course they would look around for any Elders first). I attended for several months. During this time several Ministerial Servants would stand in the back of the hall, sometimes behind me and wisper. When ever I turned around, I got nasty looks from them. I figured that I could take anything that they could dish out to me because I felt that it was the "Truth".

One particular Sunday during the W.T. meeting, the topic of "this generation" was announced along with their lame excuse for it's new meaning. I was shocked and looked around the hall. There was no reaction from them as they sat there like blind sheep. The wheels started turning.

The following Thursday, I attended the Theogratic School meeting and had to leave early to cover an evening shift at work. I stood up and those same A**HOLE Servants and an Elder were standing in the back giving me nasty stares again. It was dark out and as I approached the glass door to leave, the reflection off the door was like a mirror. I slowed my pace to the door as I focused on the reflection of "Jehovah's chosen shepards". The Elder was pointing at me and gigling while the other Sevants were covering their mouths and wispering and chuckling. I walked out the door for work and never returned.

This was about 6 years ago and I bet they are still laughing at me.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Awwwww yes! I can feeeeeel the LOVE!

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit