The poor and deprived life of JW children.

by Esse quam videri 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Magwitch
    Magwitch
    watched Hockey Night in Canada with my Dad on Saturday nights

We obviously had extremely different upbringings. Watching Hockey would never, ever have been allowed in my JW home growing up. Very violent and very worldy. In fact, if we had the nerve to suggest watching something like this, we would have had a Saturday night family study on why Jehovah hates violence.

I had a happy childhood with lots of love, however going to a high school football game on Friday night would have meant the world to me. I probably would not have taken all my clothes off and spread my legs for the entire football team, but the society had to error on the side of caution now, didn't they?

• rebel8
    rebel8

^lol I didn't even catch that. Yeah, he wasn't even a spiritually strong jw, and he's criticizing us for hating dubbery so much.

Jesus, even chess wasn't allowed.

• azor
    azor

Esse. I will keep this short.

YOU ARE A FUQING A**HOLE!

• J-DUBBED
    J-DUBBED

""Esse. I will keep this short.

YOU ARE A FUQING A**HOLE!""

Agree with that......

• zeb
    zeb

You had loving parents and that your dad was 'out' gave a moderating factor to your life. Watching 'spider-man', hockey, going swimming etc. I have known jw kids who got the borg speak any time they wanted to do anything like that. An 'uber' family i knew never ever not once took their kids to the cinema, never took them swimming it was always meetings meetings meetings.

So you never had Xmas but i will assume you never missed out on presents. I made sure mine never missed out.

and i wonder at 7 yo giving a talk to a cong of adults. would you have understood what you were saying?

it has been my observation down a long life that the 'younger they start the sooner they leave'.

You are are a rare thing indeed I wish you a happy life. BTW how old are you now?

• shadow
    shadow
    Esse quam videri,

I agree with you
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Esse quam videri

Maybe your childhood would have been different if your father was an elder in the congregation. Magwitch mentions and I quote 'Watching Hockey would never, ever have been allowed in my JW home growing up.' My father was very similar. When I was young we never watched sports particularly football, American or soccer. I wasn't particularly good at football but my brother was but wasn't allowed to play for the school, bad association and it might impinge on theocratic activities. My parents were strong witnesses we never missed meetings or field service. We were raised with pioneering in mind and we did. We done pioneer days. I witnessed at school and work and some came to the meetings. As a child it was one long round of meetings field service study and assemblies. My parents didn't believe in vacations from theocratic activities either. We studied, Your Will Be Done On Earth on a Monday night as a family and the Babylon the Great has Fallen Gods Kingdom rules, on Tuesday night at the meeting these were deep books and I had little interest in them at the age of 8 but my parents expected me to have an interest in them. There was no young people at our book study meeting. We had no friends of our own age there was very few young people in the congregation.We had a two hour Thursday night meeting Saturday and Sunday field service this was when I was in primary school. I also remember when I was about 7 my brother explaining to me how Armageddon could start at any time which was based on the belief that the tribulation had started in 1914 and soon we would be in a paradise earth which was better than Christmas and Birthdays but it wasn't true.

I think my child hood as a witness was probably quite different from yours.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan
    Finally someone who is not bashing everything as bad. I have a lot of good memories as being a witness, quite a few unique. I value and appreciate those memories, cause they are part of me and my history. I did not live a double life as a youth and I guess that made the life as a JW less burdensome and troubled. I was convinced at the time and did not feel forced. My parents allowed me to make my own choices. They never lectured nor deprived me of "normal things"... But perhaps Scandinavians are less inclined to extremes than e.g. Americans where extreme conservatism is much more widespread.
  • cofty
    cofty
    My parents allowed me to make my own choices

No they didn't. A free choice involves unfettered access to all the relevant facts.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan
    I went to the library all the time. They never interfered with my choice of literature etc...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit