The poor and deprived life of JW children.

by Esse quam videri 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

I find it hard to believe that adults on this forum make such a big deal about not celebrating birthdays, x-mas, easter, halloween, etc, etc, etc. I grew up as a JW kid and it actually made me feel good, being different from the other kids in school. I had something they did not. We went to meetings. I gave my first bible reading at age 7. My Mom had the Congregation Servant [no body of elders then] come down and open up the Kingdom Hall on a Monday night so I could practice giving my bible reading from the platform. I read the whole thing in front of my Mom and the Brother several times. The Brother patiently waited until I was finished and my Mom said it was ready. My Mom encouraged me and gave me some pointers. Then we went home and I was excitedly waiting for Thursday's school. On Thursday I walked up the steps to the same platform and read the Bible just like I practiced with my Mom a few days previously. Exhilarating, exciting, mind blowing for a 7 year old. What kid at school got to experience that? I had magazine routes where the woman on Halley St. would take every Awake and Watchtower I brought to her. I have no idea if she ever read them and the Brother that accompanied me never asked her anything. I did all the talking, explaining to her about the good points of the magazines, just like I had practiced and even written down. She always paid me, full rate of 5 cents each, and thanked me for coming. What kid in school got to experience the feeling I had on those Saturdays? Sure I liked staying home some Saturdays and watching Spiderman cartoons, BUT, I never, ever, ever, ever, ever, [is that enough to get my point across?] ever missed birthdays, x-mass, etc etc etc. My family was together, I had 3 brothers that I really liked being with, my Mom took care of us, my Dad was super, [not a Witness, but liked them all and they all liked him], went on holidays every year, watched Hockey Night in Canada with my Dad on Saturday nights,[Toronto Maple Leafs were His team so of course they were the best], went swimming on Monday nights, Book Study on Tuesday nights etc etc etc.

Was I an unhappy kid because I did not celebrate all those x-mas, easter, birthdays,etc, etc, etc.? No, no and again no.

If you are an adult and feel you had a deprived childhood, grow up and get over it.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    I wouldn't say I was unhappy or happy but I didn't share your 'Exhilarating, exciting, mind blowing for a 7 year old. What kid at school got to experience that.' This was something I would rather not have experienced, giving some talk at the age of 7/8
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

I love my late parents but I do have some resentment that I was raised in this cult. We just hope we got our kids out in time to not screw them up too bad.

It's just not normal to be raised with rules, rules and more rules. Micro managing at it's best!!!!

• Viviane
    Viviane
    My Mom had the Congregation Servant [no body of elders then] come down

I bet she did.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Viv: I bet she did.

You crack me up!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

EQV: I had magazine routes where the woman on Halley St. would take every Awake and Watchtower I brought to her.

Well then, it just doesn't get any better than that, does it?

• LosingMyReligion
    LosingMyReligion
    Was I an unhappy kid because I did not celebrate all those x-mas, easter, birthdays,etc, etc, etc.? No, no and again no.
    If you are an adult and feel you had a deprived childhood, grow up and get over it.

Good for you! People are not all the same, so the experience you had doesn't reflect every other person growing up as a witness. Personally I always thought christmas seemed so cherful and fun, with the carols and holiday spirit that I secretly wished we could have celebrated it. I used to make christmas trees with my lego's and surround it with presents. I never told anyone or showed it to anyone because I knew they would not be happy with me. I think my ego could take a day each year with extra attention from my friends and family. After all, we are created in the image of a "worship me constantly" God aren't we? ;)

• Giordano
    Giordano

I imagine it's not too difficult for any 7 year old to experience something mind blowing. That perfect first bicycle. Catching a winning fly ball in the PeeWee league. Being a part of the cub scouts.

You got to give a talk at 7 and stop off at Halley street to sell a WT and A to an old lady. Ok...... you win!

• cofty
    cofty
    What kid in school got to experience the feeling I had on those Saturdays?

The kids who scored for their football team and experienced the thrill of winning and the camaraderie of belonging to a team.

What is sadder than a child thinking a magazine route is exciting, is an adult who looks back and still thinks the same.

In your own words "grow up and get over it".

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I never missed those things as a child, either, because I had never experienced them. But, as I started enjoying them as an adult, I finally understood what I had missed out on and it became very clear that I could never deprive my own children of such joyous experiences.

Also, adults would buy magazines from me when I was small just because I was cute. I clearly remember being jolted by that understanding when I became a teenager and there were no more "pity" sales.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit