Are The Governing Body Being Set Up To Take A Fall?

by DT 25 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• DT
    DT

I'm just bumping this because of the leak of the Watchtower articles about the new FDS understanding.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'm not a lawyer but the Governing Body technically removed themselves from the Corporations about 10 years ago.

I would suspect this was an effort to remove the religious "arm" of the religion out of the "business" part of the business.

After all, it is the religion that has the potential liability regarding its decisions on child abuse issues and the blood doctrine, etc.

Thus, set up the "Christian Cong of JWs" which has NO assets as the "religion" which merely "rents" offices and factories from the WTBTS Real Estate Empire. The only liability of the WTBTSRE is if someone slips and falls on their property. Put all the assets behind the "corporate veil" of other corporations, completely and totally separate from the relgion side of things.

Any Legal Beagle care to comment on this?

Doc

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am sure there is a large element of wanting to keep the funds free from being used to pay compensation. The difficulty comes from to points,

1) Where did their funds/property come from ? so, seperate or not they still belong to the religion.

2) The Tax free status of the funds relies on the religion.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." -- Hanlon's Razor

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Even if the GB was sued and lost, the winner would come up empty handed. The GB have no personal financial resources. They could easily fall as scape-goats for the organization if need be with little financial loss.

• nochoice
    nochoice

We should look at the results of this announcment from the Annual Meeting thus far. So far, the only JW's that really know about it are elders and super-uber-JW's. For them, this stuff is straight from God himself! They are pumped and energized. They are waiting for a Watchtower article to come out and explain it some more.

In addition, now they truly will obey anything that comes to them from the Branch like it's God's Word! Basically, they thought the Watchtower Society was God's mouthpiece before, but now it's ridiculous. This is going to continue to strengthen the base.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit