Are The Governing Body Being Set Up To Take A Fall?

by DT 25 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• DT
    DT

The Governing Body's decision to declare themselves the Faithful And Discreet Slave appears pretty arrogant and presumptuous. Since most of us regard the Governing Body as arrogant and presumptuous, it's easy to conclude that is the reason that they did this.

What if something else is going on?

Remember when Steven Unthank was able to get the Faithful And Discreet Slave charged in Australia for failing to comply with the Working With Children Act? It was argued that the FDS was just a theological arrangement. It was a silly argument but at least it served to isolate individuals from legal liability.

Now the Governing Body seems to be doing the reverse by identifying the FDS with a single, identifiable group of people. This appears to be an incredibly stupid move considering that the FDS was recently formally charged in Australia.

Recently there was a new letter to the elders about handling child abuse. That letter surprised many of us because it insisted on the Society taking responsibility for decisions about child abuse. In terms of legal liability, this may be good for the elders, but bad for the Watchtower Society. However, the recent claim by the Governing Body serves to shift this legal liability to their shoulders.

I consider it possible that the Governing Body really is this stupid, but it could also be the case that they are being pressured or influenced to make these changes.

Consider these two scenarios and consider which would be more likely to succeed. A group of disgruntled people at Bethel revolts and tries to establish their own following. Or this group frightens the Governing Body into asserting their authority and then sticks them with the legal liability for the Society's many problems?

Most Witnesses are so brainwashed that they would be unlikely to follow any group that revolts and breaks away, even if they have legitimate grievances.

However, if the Governing Body (or a portion of the Governing Body) can be made to seem like the group that revolts by overturning fundamental doctrine and tradition, it would hardly make a difference for most Witnesses if they are replaced. It would probably be viewed as Jehovah cleansing the organization. There is already a precedent for Governing Body members being disgraced and removed.

Most Witnesses believe what is in the Watchtower. If the Watchtower says that Governing Body members have been replaced because they have rebelled against God's anointed representatives on earth, then most Witnesses will probably accept it without question. If these disgraced GB members later go to prison, then you might even see Witnesses rejoice that they are being punished for their apostasy.

I'm just speculating. I don't have any inside information. I welcome your comments.

• Satanus
    Satanus

A disgruntled, younger bethel group manipulating the old fogies into a corner, where they take the fall... Nice thought. Time will tell, i guess.

S

• ziddina
    ziddina

Personally, I chalk it up to human stupidity and arrogance.

Which makes the outcome less sure. They'll probably bumble along for many more years - I mean, wacko cults like the Scientologists are still 'active', too - unfortunately.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think forces from the deep unconscious are makeing them weak mentally, thier consciousness level is at a very low, because they are truely stuck in a delusion which does not allow them to respond best to threats they face they may barely be able to see them.

Denial is a two edged sword that cuts both way. When you can't face the truth and use nonsense logic to hide it from yourself, you have nonsense logic used to guide you as well.

• cofty
    cofty

DT - Interesting about the Australian court case. I never thought about that. Legally it seems like a very risky move.

Since the legal department is so active why would they let them expose themselves in that way? Unless the GB never discussed it with them before the AGM.

I am averse to conspiracy theories but this has me wondering.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

Oh if only ....

• moshe
    moshe

I mentioned the subpoena issue in jest, but perhaps they could be setting themselves up for legal trouble- I wouldn't be surprised if after more thought, the proposed changed in F&DS dogma, begins to just wither away with no further mentions of the change in teachings--

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I'm not a lawyer but the Governing Body technically removed themselves from the Corporations about 10 years ago. As I recall, they were to focus their efforts strictly on the spiritual aspects of the organization.

Now with the change in belief that the Governing Body are the FDS, then I guess you can sue the FDS or the GB all you want but what assets do they have? Add to them a small group of Bethel Elders under their direct supervision to handle the Child Abuse cases who likewise have minimal assets.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, but in theory doesn't that seem like a rather clever idea by Watchtower Legal to have a powerful group of people, ruling with an iron fist, not part of any of the corporations, yet vowing poverty.

Any thoughts by those here with better cerebral skills ?

Rub a Dub

• Kristina1972
    Kristina1972

I sure hope so.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Satanus - "A disgruntled, younger bethel group manipulating the old fogies into a corner, where they take the fall... Nice thought."

Yes it is.

Never discount the possibility (however unlikely) or effectiveness of an active Fifth Column.

I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit