I Want Proof Jesus Even Existed

by Farkel 199 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Diest
    Diest

Jesus existed...praise jah! Durp.

A Slave of None.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

jesus the nazarine was the first political activist in the history of mankind. simple case of right person at the right time. savior? lol. just a human who was tired of seeing unjustesness and got killed for speaking out.

i do believe the nazarite lived but doubt his perfection. didnt john predate him?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Marking...thanks

• still thinking
    still thinking

I have been wanting to read 'Did Jesus Exist' By Bart Ehrman. Has anyone here read it? Was it a worthwhile read?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

If he said so then it must true? Mustn't it?.... OH shit, you mean people can be mistaken or duped, lie, embellish or just plain make shit up? ....and this happens how often??! OMG the sky is falling, you've ruined my rose tinted and iddlylic view of the world and I've now had to confront the uncomfortable thought that...WHAT IF I'VE BEEN DUPED TOO!!!??

Ha ha ha, nothing like cold hard research is there me dearies to blow them befuddled cobwebs of "faith" away?

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

That was 2,000 years ago. If it wasn't for the internet, most would have no idea what the WT used to teach, and in another 50 to 100 years all the things about it's relation to pyramids, or Rutherford promoting books he thought were inspired by demons, etc, would be long forgot and maybe only rumor even though thousands of things written and published on it.

Point is, maybe there was and maybe there wasn't a lot of things written about it. You can see how quickly within 100 years much of history can be hidden away or forgot.

• supernerdboy
    supernerdboy

"This is good quality bullshit . . ." I am ROTFLMFAOOL!

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

This is as good as it gets- but its not really conclusive, considering the time that had passed...

Tacitus on Christ

Main article: Tacitus on Christ

In his Annals, in book 15, chapter 44, written c. 116 AD, there is a passage which refers to Christ, to Pontius Pilate, and to a mass execution of the Christians after a six-day fire that burned much of Rome in July 64 AD by Nero. [30]

Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judæa, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind. Mockery of every sort was added to their deaths. Covered with the skins of beasts, they were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt, to serve as a nightly illumination, when daylight had expired. [31]

This narration has long attracted scholarly interest because it is a rare non-Christian reference to the origin of Christianity, the execution of Christ described in the Canonical gospels, and the persecution of Christians in 1st-century Rome. Almost all scholars consider these references to the Christians to be authentic. [32] [33]

• Heaven
    Heaven

I'm wondering the same as still thinking... has anyone read Ehrman's new book "Did Jesus Exist?".

Apparently he says he did but that he was an apocalyptic preacher believing similarly to what the JWs believe -- that God was going to fix everything 'soon' back in Jesus' day.

The Christians did not invent Jesus. They invented the idea that the messiah had to be crucified.

"The Jesus you discover here may not be the Jesus you had hoped to meet—but he did exist, whether we like it or not." - Bart Ehrman

• donny
    donny

I agree with Erman that a person named Jesus existed and that he taught that everything would be fixed in his generation. When I read the Bible without any outside influence or commentaries, it is quite clear to me that Jesus and Paul were talking about the kingdom of God coming in their time (1st century). Nothing I read makes me think that they were looking for a day 2000+ years in the future.

Below is a paste to an interesting book stating that Jesus may not have existed.

http://www.amazon.com/Nailed-Christian-Myths-Jesus-Existed/dp/0557709911/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348930854&sr=8-1&keywords=nailed+ten+christian+myths+that+show+jesus+never+existed+at+all

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit