Do Jehovah's Witnesses believe in their own doctrine?

by God_Delusion 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Hi guys,

Do you think the majority of Jehovah's Witnesses actually believe in their own doctrine? Do they honestly believe that the end is nigh?

Here's my take on it. Let us all know what you think - http://www.jehovahswitnessblog.com/observing-jws/do-jws-believe-in-the-truth/

PS. Follow me on Twitter @JehovahsBlog.

Cheers,
    Jaymes

• sir82
    sir82

Pfft!

Most JWs don't even know their own doctrine.

• hoser
    hoser

If the end is so near why does the circuit overseer get a new car every three years? Why doesn't he just keep his old one? The end will surely come

before it is worn out.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This reminds me of a famous question that French historian once asked:

Did the ancient Greeks believe their own myths?

Who knows!

• designs
    designs

When pressed I find many JWs backing away from a literal Noah's Ark and the Flood.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Theocratic warefare is such an entrenched habit that it is hard to tell if a JW is being truthful about what they are saying the bOrg teaches, whether, or not, they know what the bOrg teaches, let alone if they believe what it teaches.

If they are uncomfortable with a doctrine, or rule, they'll lie their asses off to polish the outside of the cup. Mt 23:25

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Sure. Why would they go through the trouble if they didn't?

The overwhelming number of JWs I've known or corresponded with, for example, have NO IDEA what Armageddon is all about. They believe what their leaders tell them. If they ever showed up at an eschatology symposium made up of other Christians of different stripes, they'd be like fish out of water. Don't get me wrong...not everyone believes the same about Armageddon, but the JWs are so far out in left field that they would be completely clueless.

But misunderstanding prophecy and scripture only means that they'll end up expecting one thing and getting another, which they ought to be used to by now. They never learn from their mistakes. You can fool them over and over again by just changing what they read in Watchtower. People keep big binders just full of past issues of Watchtowers. Then when someone has a question, they know right where to go and what issues to grab for the answer. They never learn.

• blondie
    blondie

If a jw has been in for any time they have had to "adjust" to many "clarifications." What is true today can change tomorrow. Most do not even can explain to a non-jw what they believe without referring to a WT ppublication. It is possible to ask the same question to several jws and get different answers.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

But it is still "The Truth", sigh.

• Rudolf
    Rudolf

I do not think many JWs really believe in their own doctrine. I believe most JWs are more confused than any atheist would be by seeing his Mini Rover evolving in a big Rolls Royce over night in his garage. I had studies with many JWs through time, but honestly when you are asikng them questions which are outside their boundries, they keep chaging subject and, when you do not allow them to do that, they really get confused and uncomfortable. When I asked them why did the Watchtower change many of their fundamental believes so often through time, they do not have answers. Although they try to persuade you that they still have the truth and have the answers, when challenged they do not have a legg to stand on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit