No more 3-day DCs starting in 2013?

by respectful_observer 162 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Jehovah's Celestial Chariot is at full gallop!

7 day to 4 day to 3 day to 2 day! The progress is astonishing and triumphant!

Can't you blinded opposers of truth see the light getting brighter?

It is food at the proper time.... we are getting exactly what we need, when we need it, and in the perfect dosages.

Our GOD is not one to be mocked!

The Oracle

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Hello all, did anyone read my last post a page ago?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Sounds interesting skeeter, keep us posted.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Skeeter,

I can guarantee you that moving the convention to an assembly hall won't make their ADA liability go away. Many assembly halls are not in compliance as it is now.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I'm not an expert in ADA law. Wish I was now. I do know that it applies to new construction and to renovations. Old buildings are grandfathered.

Renting a public stadium. Stadiums have steep steps. I don't know how sisters in high heels do it. One slip, and you can really hurt yourself (and others). JWN has had threads on people getting hurt/dying at DCs. Here's some proof. I wonder if the WTS has a database of accidents occuring at various locations, and if public stadiums are more risky.

When the WTS holds a public stadium, I imagine that it uses the stadium's bleachers and chairs? Or,does the WTS use its own?

The WTS's liability may be in that they did not have enough offer enough seating for the disabled (i.e.not providing access). Or, what if the bleachers were really the Watchtower's (or rented from a third party)?

Now, what I wonder is what moving the DCs to assembly halls? I've not been in an AH since 1986, when one was being built west of Ft. Lauderdale. Are they "safer"(i.e. carpeted, less stairs, more access for disabled)? The WTS can "control" their own assembly hall better then a stadium. Just like they can't control a book study's house....

But most of all, the Victors (JWs who transported and brought the old woman to the DC) are in a pickle. What's that old saying, no good deed goes unpunished? The lawsuit appear to be saying that the Victors were agents of the WTS. I don't know if the Victors were elder/MS or just a regular "minister." They brought the old woman to the DC, got the hotel room, found her a seat, helped her with the stairs, and suggested the group leave early to avoid the rush at the end of the day, etc. The dead woman's family is saying that the Victors owed a duty to the old woman. But, the Victors are fighting back by replying they are just attendies. Sounds like Candice Conti's case. . . . and Victoria, Aust. The Plaintiffs are trying to get at the rank and file "ministers". In Conti (and Austrailia?), it was determined that the WTS is responsible for the rank & file "ministers"?

So, now, all you lurking "ministers", keep this new case in mind when you invite to bring someone to any meeting. You could be sued if something goes wrong.

Skeeter

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Skeeter...Thank you for that info very interesting indeed! Will be interesting to follow. It would be cool, if someone way smarter than me, made an online database to track active and recently decided lawsuits vs the watchtower...but I digress

I think what you brought out might factor greatly into a decision to nix the 3-day DC. Hopefully someone in the know can log on and post any weight to this rumor.

• simon17
    simon17

That lawsuit is ridiculous and should be thrown out of court. I think everyone put forth their best effort. Conventions always seem to have a large amount of seating for the infirm or handicapped and the Victors were just helping out an old person the best they could. Old people sometimes fall and, unfortunately die. It happens in showers, homes, shopping malls, kingdom halls, parking lots, conventions.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

That case of the old woman falling at the convention,leading to her death, is just sad all around. Leads me to the conclusion,she was probably too frail to go to begin with,but that is a whole other topic . Older ones push themselves too hard for the organization,but they believe it's for Jehovah.

I'm sure the elderly especially,would be happy if they eliminated the conventions. My mother couldn't go when my father was still alive,since he was too ill to go. And many of the Witnesses didn't understand the situation and was critical of her for it.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I can hear it now: "Brothers, as the merging of the congregation book study with the evening of the TMS and SM, has helped the brothers to save gas and to better uitilize that evening for Family Worship Night, Jehovah's blessing has proved evident in the congregations. Now, to help our dear brothers to save their funds of gas expense of long distances, from hotel, restaurant, and retail expense, we are pleased to provide 'circuit assemblies,' in smaller and more convenient locales instead of the larger, less convenient arrangements of the district conventions. These assemblies will be two-days instead of the three-day programs of DCs but will be all as refreshing and spiritually satisfying."

Also, with all these district conventions, the newspapers would report all the millions of $$$ going to the businesses of these cities. The WTS will try to get all those millions into their little circuit assembly arrangements as much as possible.

The rank & file will all welcome the change. Some will whimper for a little while.

• sseveninches
    sseveninches

That's a bunch of BS. The book study merge didn't help to "save gas" (in our case at least) because it was on Sunday mornings for us, right before the field service meeting. After the merge, the field service meeting stayed, but the meeting didn't, so it didn't make a difference. I was really hoping that I could enjoy my Sunday mornings at home, but that was quickly shot down.

And besides, not everyone drives. But of course the WTS thinks that because they base everything off their American tendencies and culture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit