No more 3-day DCs starting in 2013?

by respectful_observer 162 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• St George of England
    St George of England

So why do these new CA's have to be on weekends? Yes, I know people work all week (usually) but even that is changing. We have several in our congregation who work weekends on rota.

Maybe they will guilt people into taking a day off or changing rota and use Fridays or other mid week days; after all people that attend DC's have to take a day off.

George

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah that would ease the overcrowding, if they had one set on Thursday / Friday and another on Saturday / Sunday.

And as noted it would ratchet up the guilt level for those assigned to Thursday / Friday - "a true Christian would realize that the benefits from attending these vital spiritual banquets far outweigh the hazards of getting fired in the worst job market in 70 years. Just put the kingdom first - somehow or another Jehovah will provide. Oh by the way, don't forget to max out your credit card on your way out of the assembly hall."

• iclone
    iclone

Good point SGOE, they could hold two conventions in a weekend. Friday/Saturday and then Sunday/Monday. At this point I still think its speculative as there are no official confirmations yet. I will do some digging out in my part of the world. I know many faithful adherents that will be really dissapointed if this is true. These people will often travel to take in the DC more than once. (gross) These same people have still not come to terms that we lost the weekly book study!

• elderelite
    elderelite

Omt!!!! Generation, you just hit a major major point! Possible mid week "DC" to make maximum use of the halls!!! Damn thats brilliant

• clarity
    clarity

I can see that having DC on weekdays could happen easily .... after all

When we had 7 day & 4 day assemblies those were mostly weekdays!

See we are kindly going back to those happifying upbuilding days! Yahoo! OMG!

>

Also love this comment " I actually stumbled across some information that wasn't intended for me,

so I don't want to get ahead of the 'Faithful Slave" !!!!!!!!!

Ya like that would be hard! lol

clarity

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

I really want this to be true. So,I'll believe it. I don't think mid-week days will work. I'm still in and I don't see the level of commitment and sacrifice that existed prior. People just wont go.

• designs
    designs

DCs are not money makers anymore.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Not at all surprising - it is all just a question of numbers. Can the existing Assembly Halls handle that many meetings a year for a given district? How will increased usage affect maintenance of Assembly Halls (bathrooms, septic, AC, heating) I predicted this one (to friends and family) along with end of the Bookstudy and tracts instead of magazines YEARS ago.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Watchtower sponsored district conventions have always been money making affairs. For decades the primary revenue was gathered under the food service departments at conventions (cafeterias and refreshment stands, for those who remember the days). Those days are long gone.

It has not passed unnoticed by Watchtower that when Witnesses attend a district convention they tend to make one and only one donation. No matter how many days the convention lasts, they donate only once.

When Watchtower reduces its 3-day idolatry fest it will do so for economic reasons. They’ll reduce cost and retain the same revenue.

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I had heard from one quick build worker that they were finishing up the remods on the halls this year. Attention was then to be turned to building assembly halls.

Many jw's will split the assemblies and conventions up now into sessions or days.

As far as the money jw's bring into the convention cities is debateable. Other than hotels, many still don't spend much money while at a convention.

Perhaps they will start having to pay for parking to wt at the assembly halls. Wt has always been upset about how much revenue the parking lots get. Recently, around here they moved the convention at the last minute because the parking lots wanted $2 or $3 more per car for the 3 day convention. Wt moved the convention and the rank and file drove another 45 minutes to some other cheap place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit