Best diet for a Diabetic.

by Quarterback 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Tal: That snack with protein sounds like a good idea. I'll try it.

Arwen: I didn't know about that Victoza was available in Canada, yet. I will discuss with my Dr. I need to lose some weight also.

I have this carrot cake in the refrigerator, that needs to disappear. I hate to waste food.

• Dagney
    Dagney

@ Tal: what type of protein snack do you eat before bed?

• binadub
    binadub

I'm not diabetic, but my JW CO elder brother was a type 1 insulin-dependent diabetic from the age of 21. He didn't follow a good program of diet, plus he drank alcohol (a no-no). He was never worried about having to be careful about his diet because Armageddon was always just around the corner and he was soon going to survive and be healed in the new Earth. After a kidney transplant in the 1980s, he still did not adhere to a sound nutritional program and continued to drink booze (not a drunkard as far as I know). He was certain that Armageddon would come before 2000AD. He didn't make it to 2000.

Good balanced diet, exercise, and avoid sugar and alcohol (which becomes glucose in the system like sugar, only worse). It is important. Don't wait for Armageddon. :-)

~Binadub

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

My Grandmother had diabetes. A book I found that was really excellent and a very interesting read was called "Sugar Blues" by William Duffy. It is not only about diet but has some facinating history of sugar and how it has affected civilizations. I found it facinating.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Although someone mentioned it above, dear QB (peace to you!)... I would offer that along with carbs and alcohol wine is something that should be avoided by a diabetic. Sorry, dear ones... but it's true. I'm a Type 1 and here is what I've learned:

1. Apparently, wine isn't easily metabolized by the diabetic (even more than hard alcohol?). While it doesn't show in the blood glucose, it apparently taxes the pancreas, possibly slowing the beta cells' ability to produce adequate insulin. I haven't heard where perhaps the liver is involved, but that could be the case;

2. For some Type 2 diabetics fried foods can have a worse effect on blood glucose than any carb - although you might like them, you should check your glucose after eating them and see if your body likes them - it probably doesn't;

3. Commercially produced baked goods... are poison! Okay, maybe not poison, but so close no point in differentiating - so, while fresh baked goods are okay in moderation (and the fresher the better, so I really mean home-baked), don't touch the "Hostess", "Little Debbie," Sunshine" stuff if you can help it (although, Triscuits and Saltines aren't so bad, but I wouldn't go much farther than that);

4. Soda... regular or diet... is bad. Bad... bad... bad. Particularly the dark or colored stuff (recent studies indicate that the dark syrup in colas can be linked to cancer). If you MUST imbibe... stay "clear" (i.e., drink diet 7-up, Sierra Mist, etc.). But really, avoid them totally, if you can. Actually, steer clear of anything carbonated, if you can. Try tea, coffee, Crystal Light, etc.

5. Eat small meals... 5-7... throughout the day. Graze. This is because if you eat large meals, not only does your body have a harder time metabolizing the meal, your body has to produce more insulin to process it. If you eat small ones you may be able to leave off your meds entirely (of course, check with your doctor!). If you take insulin, you only need take a little at a time. If you eat a big honkin' meal, though, your body has to produce more insulin (or you have to take more) to handle it, which can wreak havoc on your pancreas (as well as your liver/kidneys/stomach/intestines... it's a job trying to process all of that!

6. I found that exercise that uses my thigh muscles the most bring down my blood sugar the fastest. Which might be why walking is often suggested. When I [used to] go to the gym, though, I found that heavy leg presses would cause my blood sugar to drop like a ton of bricks! And I mean fast! You know that machine where you load on weights, then sit, then push the weights with your legs? Man, oh, man - I always had to carb up to use that machine... or Hubby would have to cart me out - LOL!

7. Finally... and I think this is the most important: control your stress. I don't think you heard me: control... your... stress. However you have to do that (but not with drugs/alcohol!). Walk, read, exercise, knit, crochet, bike, hike, have sex... whatever you need to do. Because stress is a huge trigger for high blood glucose AND high blood pressure (which is common among some older Type 2's).

Peace to you, much success in controlling your glucose levels... and may JAH bless!

A slave of Christ,

SA

Edited to add (and this is REALLY important) re stress - stress causes the release of cortisol, another hormone (actually, a glucocorticoid produced by the adrenal glands) whose function is to increase blood sugar through a process called gluconeogenesis). One (stress) plus one (more cortisol), can equal two (high blood sugar). This is how I developed diabetes: on cortisosteriods for 24 years. Again, peace to you!

• neverscreamagain
    neverscreamagain

Earlier it was mentioned eliminating sodas/pop. All sodas, should be dropped from your diet. Turns out the diet sodas with artificial sweeteners are worse than ones with corn or cane sugar, especially if you are trying to keep your blood sugar levels low and stable.

The thought was mentioned that they were told not to eat after a certain time in the evening. This idea goes back to the old "calorie restriction" approach to losing weight. It never worked for people back when it was first introduced and it is still a bad idea, and a bad approach fo a diabetic who is trying to keep his insulin levels low and stable. If you ate nothing between 8pm and 8am, you have in essence been fasting for 12 hours, your body has not stopped burning calories during that time, and your insulin levels will have shot up first thing at the beginning of the day. Does not help in keeping levels low and stable.

Solution has been been brought up earlier. Eat a high protein snack shortly before going to bed. One that I like because of it's protein content is greek yoghurt. Eat unflavored. plain, 0% fat yoghurt. Get used to eating it plain, eventually you will not have it any other way. I prefer the greek style because it has twice the protein of ordinary yoghurt, relatively low sugar content, and lots of good bacteria for the digestive tract.

And when you rise in the morning get in the habit of eating within the first fifteen minutes of rising. Remember you have just fasted for however long you have been between meals, and if you don't eat soon your system will go into starvation mode, and insulin levels will again spike. Not what you want. Again eat something high protein, low fat. Eggs were mentioned earlier, and if lipids and or cholesterol is an issue with you, you can get them in cartons of either egg whites or the whole egg substitute. Both are high in protein, no cholesterol, no fat or carbs. It is the ideal basic ingredient that you need upon rising.

Don't go without eating during the day for more than 2-3 hours. Almonds are a good between meal snack. Carry some with you as you go about your day.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Simple:

If it tastes good, spit it out.

Doc

• jgnat
    jgnat

LOL, DOC.

Sucky thing is, once we eliminated a good portion of our salt and saturated fats from our diet, we couldn't go back. YUCK that stuff is gross. When we eat food like that, it's like a cherry bomb going off in the mouth. All subtle flavours are lost. KFC, YUCK. McDonald's Fries, YUCK.

Now that I really taste my food, it has to be fresh, and it has to be good. It can't hide behind the salt mantle. Kale-and-potato pancakes, YUM.

The same goes for chocolate. No faking behind additives.

GOOD BEDTIME PROTEIN - try a square of hard cheese, the older the better. The cheese does double duty by protecting your teeth. Old, for maximum flavour in a minimal caloric package.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

Hey Champ,

I got a buddy in Seattle that changed his diet 2 years ago (he's 67 now) and he no longer an official Diabetic

IT can be done! you know you can

NO CARBS is the Answer and Work Out like a Banshee!

• iceguy
    iceguy

Found out today I am at the Threshold of being a diabetic and have to go for more testing to see if I am a diabetic. Its my fault as my eating habits and lack of exercise have been horrible. Now I have my work cut out for me but I have to change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit