Atheism

by avatar 837 Replies latest jw friends

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    What am I supposed to do about that?

Well, since you KNOW you're completely innocent and there's an excuse for everything NDrew did.....then, nothing.

• tec
    tec

Completely innocent, no, certainly not. In any breakdown this big, there is never a fully innocent party, or a fully guilty one. Takes more than one person to get something to this level of insanity, on both sides.

Innocent of the direct things I had been accused of... yes.

But I have already stated that I should have handled things better, and apologized for it.

Peace,

tammy

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well stated,
    Tammy.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Completely innocent, no, certainly not. In any breakdown this big, there is never a fully innocent party, or a fully guilty one. Takes more than one person to get something to this level of insanity, on both sides.

Codependence and schism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhjG47gtMCo

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

although they are often couched in religious terms.

Whether a person is really religious, or pretending in order to further their political agenda, the fact still remains that religions and politics cannot be separated on this issue. Religion is the driving force behind the discrimination. Show me that a significant secular force is at play (show me) and I'll reconsider. But I already know the answer. Without religion, there would be no significant debate.

And your view of marriage is not the reality of our country today. I dismiss it, because the libertarians get around the issue by saying they don't believe that government should be defining any marriage---which is not the same as coming out for or against same sex marriage. But the government does define marriage. It is more than a religious institution. It is an institution that offers benefits beyond reproduction.

The institution of marriage is widely believed to exist to protect the most important social unit that is larger than the individual: the traditional family. Sick dysfunctional families may lead to sick dysfunctional societies. By nearly every metric, individuals participating in traditional families outperform everyone else

First---how does allowing gays to marry threaten the traditional family? Will not people still be able to enter into traditional marriages? will they be prevented in some way? And what about the security that would be offered to children of gay parents? Do these families not deserve the same protections? You say that traditional families outperform everyone else---I assume that you refer to single parent families. But HOW does allowing homosexuals to marry discourage this more traditional family? Your argument makes no sense. You are saying that these families are stronger, so some object to same sex marriage. WHAT? If this is the secular argument, it makes no sense and is very weak.

Are you against same sex marriage BTS?

NC

• tec
    tec

Thank you, James.

Always loved that song, Burns... really cool video (albeit a little disturbing).

Peace,

tammy

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

When religion was state enforced, all of its precepts, including marriage, were state regulated. In our society, the government sanctioned institution of marriage is a surviving vestige from before the separation of church and state. In my view (which you claim is not reality), freedom of contract should be granted to all competent consenting adults--and this extends beyond same sex marriage. It also includes polygamy, polyandry, group marriage, and other arrangements people may desire.

• talesin
    talesin

... and still ... BTS has left me hanging ...

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

jgnat posted this on the other thread, I thought it was interesting:

The source: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol12/iss1/art18/

From that paper in part,

" Wherever a Western polity has been established that separates religion and politics, fundamentalist movements have sprung up alongside it in protest. Whatever the politicians or the pundits claim, people all over the world are demonstrating that they want to see religion reflected more prominently in public life....they experience the incomprehensible change as profoundly disturbing, and cling to traditional religion for support..."

I'm just reading the rest of the article now.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Good evening, fellow JWN people.

I shall see you later in the morning, or at least within the weekend.

James

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit