Atheism

by avatar 837 Replies latest jw friends

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Ahhhh, I was thinking perhaps you weren't house-trained yet.

THAT is an obvious shadow Missy!!

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Damn it looks like a dookie, doesn't it?

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Personal and circumstantial and anecdotal/hypothetical evidence.

Well, first thought is, I wouldn't want to be the accused in a court that would convict on such evidence.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I wish I could hover...what a unique gift...all I got was crabs...

• tec
    tec

Trials are won on circumstantial evidence... not often,thank goodness, if the outcome is convicting someone. Innocent unless PROVEN guilty is the motto.

But ideas and conclusions and hypothesis and theories... these may begin with all sorts of types of evidence. Some are rejected. Some are set aside, awaiting further evidence. Some are accepted. It is a rare thing that is accepted, set aside, or rejected by all, uniformly.

Peace,

tammy

• Twitch
    Twitch

No other evidence to present, beyond what "I belive to be true" or what "might be possible"?

• tec
    tec

Sure, but I didn't realize we were going there on this thread. I am about to sit down and watch a movie with my kids, but I'll have that conversation with you if you like. I'm not out to prove anything to you, though.

Peace,

tammy

• Twitch
    Twitch

Watch the movie, this conversation will always be here.

You've nothing to prove to me, but this is a thread about atheism and I was only jackin' cofty's game, lol. It was like this when I got here ;)

But the invitation is open for exclusive evidence that god did it/does it. Submit exhibit A if you will. Or can...

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Hmmm as usual, IMHO, the believers are far more touchy and overbearing than the non believers. I have to wonder sometimes if it isn't doubt on their part and the fear of that doubt.

And James Woods, you are never equal in your chiding. Never.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

And James Woods, you are never equal in your chiding. Never.

Well yeah! But he made some important points. He said that as atheists, we shouldn't be as emotional or easily offended as believers. I think that is really true. I've pointed out that I have had some pretty terrible things said to me on this board. I would observe and point out---but didn't really get the persecution high out of it. I always found it interesting, and to a degree, amusing. If I push a point, it is generally to call out some hypocrisy, but not really that I need an apology. I just don't. I just chalk it up to how many believers view atheists.

The double standard is when I refuse to validate a belief, and some arrogance is inferred by the tone of my posts. Then great offense is taken, and I get 'counseled'.

But according to James, until they are ready to give up their illusions, we shouldn't push. I just found the entire conversation bizarre beyond anything else. It was like protective yet condesending toward believers. It was weird.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit