Atheism

by avatar 837 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

But from the get-go, I would admit up-front that I cannot prove the existence of God. I do not have scientific proof to offer the world.

With that, if we are starting the discussion from my true north, the discussion is already over.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Who cares if I am an atheist, and the next guy is a christian and the next guy is a fill in the blank? I mean what is the point of the discussion?

I guess the same questions could be asked of any political discussion. Or any discussion at all. What's the point? Some of us like to discuss and debate---sometimes for the sake of debate---and sometimes because we feel that certain views are harmful to all. That may be the only point---but it doesn't stop us from engaging.

NC

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" Who cares if I am an atheist, and the next guy is a christian and the next guy is a fill in the blank? I mean what is the point of the discussion?"

Some folks like to pigeonhole?

• tec
    tec

With that, if we are starting the discussion from my true north, the discussion is already over.

And if that is the bottom line, proving and not discussing, then what is the point of the discussion to begin with? I would rather not go down that rabbit hole, and you may feel the same.

However, I suppose that others who listen or read, can benefit from new thoughts being shared, and broaden their perspectives.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Beks, I agree... who cares?

Peace,

tammy

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I didn't mean that flippantly, although it probably seemed so. I only meant what concern is it if we all have different beliefs. I'd love to know if anyone else has an opinion.

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

tec, to discuss such a subject without considering evidence is a waste of time. How is it even possible to discuss the existence of God without referring to proofs from one side or the other? If all you can base a claim on is a feeling you have, then a true dialogue between sides is impossible.

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Hey, I posted an article about the a few days ago. I get the feeling no one read it. Oh well, their lost.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/03/denial-science-chris-mooney

I read it Mrs J...it is an excellent article...I learnt quite a bit from it.

• tec
    tec

tec, to discuss such a subject without considering evidence is a waste of time. How is it even possible to discuss the existence of God without referring to proofs from one side or the other? If all you can base a claim on is a feeling you have, then a true dialogue between

sides is impossible.

I did not say without evidence. I said without proof. Some only allow proof as a type of evidence, when there are many types of evidence.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Beks I think this prevous post says it best from my perspective.

It took critical thinking skills and an ability to assess evidence at huge emotional cost to get us out of a mind-control cult. Now we are out some people think its a virtue to encourage others to abandon those same skills.

An ex-JW believer has left the job half done. I set up camp for almost a decade and that's ok as long as you are still committed to the journey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit