I too have been charged with apostasy! Stunned.

by FinchAndWeston 61 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I know people who have lights up all year round for decoration. And Christmas is over. They must not have anything better to do in that congregation except to track someone down after fiver years.

Did the elders ever visit before this to try and encourage you?

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Don't waste your time with them. They have no authority over you unless you offer it to them. Don't feed their power-trip!

• rory-ks
    rory-ks

Astonishing story, uninformed. But, I agree, it is a satisfactory feeling to be out.

• Ding
    Ding

One way to slow them down is to send them a letter stating that you have decided to consult an attorney and that if they proceed against you, you will sue them. They are then required by the organization to stop and contact headquarters for instructions. They might decide it isn't worth it as long as you aren't presently actively opposing the organization or trying to draw other JWs away.

I don't know if you want to go in this direction, but it is an option.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Are they colored Christmas lights (red, green) or white lights? Many commerical establishments and private residences string white lights outside throughout the year. The Tavern in the Green in Central Park was a prime example. A number of NY commercial establishments have white lights year round.

Don't you think they have the idea of where you stand after five years?

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Or you can report it to the local Police Department for harassment charge if the elders keep after you once you decided to ignore them. I know some one on this forum did that and elders' harassement stopped after they got phone call from the police.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

FinchandWeston - I'm sorry you are going through this. They really should just leave you alone. If you want to fight it, I believe you will win, and here's why- Conan is exactly right when he said: "when people have been away for so long, to just leave them alone if something comes up, like the Christmas lights."

By their own elder guidelines, in the Shepherd book (ks10) on page 73 it says that if you have been away from meetings for several years, aren't known as a JW, and don't recognize the authority of the congregation they should hold the matter in abeyance. Here's a scan of the page:

Elder book page 73

A letter written explaining that their OWN elder book says that they should leave you alone may suffice. Let them know you do not recognize their authority. Advise them to spend time shepherding those that really would appreciate it, like an elderly or sick one, or perhaps they could be spending that time with their families rather than bothering you folks?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I was just about to post what Ray posted. If you have not gone to meetings for 5 years you can hardly be considered a JW by the community. If you refuse to attend the meeting then you show you no longer recognise their authority. They could therefore choose to leave you alone, or consider you DA'd, rather than disfellowship you.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

"accountability to the Christian congregation".

That's the key, isn't it?

We may be accountable to God, maybe accountable to Jesus, but accountable to the congregation, i.e. the elders?

I'm very uncomfortable with that idea, and that, of course, is what the whole system is founded on.

Every citizen knows that they are accountable to the law of the land. If we commit a crime, we get taken to court.

We may be accountable to God. If we believe in him, then there's a feeling that perhaps at the end of the day there's a day of judgement. (Though even as I write that, I realise I'm less comfortable with that than I was.)

But to the congregation, to the elders? That's what the whole theocratic JW/WT system depends on, constantle instilling into the minds of those following what seemed to be a religion that they are in fact part of a completely separate judicial system.

But it is an illusion. A dream. A confidence trick.On a par with the three card trick, with a hooked audience.

They have absolutely no power at all, unless each individual gives it to them. Do you really and truly believe that God, maker of all that is, creator of the whole universe, abdicates his responsibility to the likes of Elder Joe Bloggs down the road?

Don't you think that if there really is a Judgement Day he is going to come down rather heavily on a group that so completely and arrogantly takes his name in vain?

It is a scam.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

"It is a scam"

Not to them though; it is deadly serious, as they have GOD on their side.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit