What exactly is a relasionship with God?

by tootired2care 114 Replies latest jw friends

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Tootired2care,

Fernando said:

After a spiritual awakening and intense journey, my conclusion is that God speaks to all of us all the time by way of our thoughts. We simply have to tune in and be more aware. Tuning in is accessible to anyone that follows the map - the full unabridged gospel message - embraces it, and yields to it.

The higher one's SQ or Spiritual Quotient the more evident it seems to be that the rush of helpful new or profound ideas, concepts and thoughts are from another higher source - although the flow is experienced as very organic/natural, subtle and gentle.

Religionists being physical, temporal, natural and carnal cannot transcend the time-space domain to tune into and discern the metaphysical (spiritual) since they have not been granted faith (a wide opening of our spiritual eyes).

I think he said this quite well.

I read a book that helped me “Letters From A Skeptic” by Dr. Gregory A Boyd

The man describes his experience to his skeptical father,

“a lot of the time when I pray I picture Jesus in my mind” these I think is a good way to recall what step he took and then you can think to yourself now what would Jesus be saying to me right now.

“I let him remind me of my worth and lovability in His eyes because of what He’s done for me on Calvary.” (Calvary is a place that which the crucifixion of Jesus is said to have occurred)

“I let Him heal my memories. That is how all the growth in the Christian life takes place-from healing on the inside, from resting in God’s love.”

“Asking for things –what’s called “petitionary prayer” – is simply one minor aspect of this total relationship. It’s not that God needs our petitions to be informed or empowered to do anything. You’re right” He’s already as good, as concerned, as informed, and as powerful as He can be. But because a loving relationship with Him is His highest agenda for us, He constructs the order of things such that a loving relationship with Him will be facilitated. And thus He ordains that some things will only be done through pray.”

“It might help to look at it this way. Because God has love as His highest agenda, He gives us some “say-so” in the universe. We must have this if we are to be self-determining persons, and He must have self-determining persons in His creation if He wants love to be the creation’s goal. We’ve already talked about this. So we humans have a good deal of power to determine the outcome of things, to have some “say-so” in our little corner of the universe.” He goes on in describing this genuine relationship and what it in tells.

Then to your other subject you brought up in more detail, in not experiencing anything but silence, his father says the same thing. His son goes on to tell him his reasoning of the matter of it being impossible to actually test the effectiveness of prayer… him being a professor of theology at a college, his very detailed in his reasoning and therefore I can’t write all of it out but the part that caught my eye was described here.

“But maybe this is as it should be. If petitionary prayer could be conclusively “verified,” it would turn god into a sort of cosmic vending machine. Make your requests, pull the lever, and abracadabra, you have your wish granted. But this defeats the whole purpose of prayer which is to facilitate a faith-filled relationship with the Creator. So it takes faith to pray, and faith to see the answer to prayer.”

“Secondly, I’d again reiterate that, far more important than knowing the mechanics of unanswered prayer is knowing that God’s on your side even when the prayer is unanswered.”

He gives a good analogy of how this works. An example of a family safe at home base (beach cottage), but there was a huge war going on a ways down and the family’s father was Captain caught in battle. The family had a radio line to the captain and could make their request. He would meet his family’s request as much as he could but “given the strategic warfare of the enemy, he cannot. And perhaps sometimes their requests are not even to their own advantage given the course the battle is taking.”

He mentions “But the unfortunate family in the beach cottage doesn’t have this broader perspective. They only know that the captain is on their side, that their requests are heard and are taken into account, and that sometimes their requests are granted and sometimes not. But they lacking has strategic perspective, have no idea why this is the case. They don’t have a purview of the whole battle. Their perspective is limited to the tiny windows in their cottage.”

This book inspired me to have faith again and I think sometimes we need reminders. I too, have felt the way you do, and still do in some ways have my doubts. I’m still in the middle of this book, but I thought this part was good and thought I’d share.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Thanks for sharing that Leia.

• still thinking
    still thinking
    but what is god doing about any of it? Nothing. At least we try....still thinking
    Still thinking, I think you personally have the same amount of proof for yourself that the god you have sought is not real that you have that he has done nothing to fix anything. So what you say makes you sound like a bully.....N.drew

WTF N.drew? would you like to explain that judement? or just make statements based on bollocks?

At this point in my life I have not come to ANY conclusions whether god is real or NOT. I simply point out that I don't see evidence of it. And as for what the bible says..., the fact that many christians don't have any faith that the bible is inspired or give any valuable information makes me wonder why on earth they keep quoting it.

Do you also think that the quotes I took from the bible to show that god is capable of altering weather patterns are fairy tales? And if so, doesn't that lead you to think the whole bible may be a fairy tale?

I understand that not everything is literal...but, no matter what is quoted it is discounted if it doesn't fit belief. Based on that reasoning, I really don't understand why a believer would have a problem with someone like me discounting the ENTIRE bible...not just picking bits to discount that I don't think fit in with what I choose to believe christ did or didn't do or say or what God is or isn't capable of.

If God created everything...regardless or whether you think it was 7 day creation or evolutionary theism....he IS capable of controlling weather. The fact that he chooses not to, to help starving people makes God more of a bully than me. If I could make it rain so they could have fresh water and grow crops...I Would...how many people wouldn't? Apparently God can...but won't.

• N.drew
    N.drew

If you had not seen me be kind and nurturing to my children so you mouthed off that I don't care for them, that would be unkind and bullying.

It is certainly alright for you to share that you have not found proof of God. But then you say God has done NOTHING to help Earth. WTF right back atcha.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I think it is reasonable for a person who has no belief in God to believe no good thing is accomplished by god who is non-existent.

But if someone has come to the conclusion that "god has done nothing" it doesn't make sense. Either God is doing something or god doesn't exist. It is not logical thinking to be believing "god might be real, but god has done nothing".

• still thinking
    still thinking

If you were allowing this to happen to YOUR child N.drew...I would come to the conclusion you didn't care....If you sat back and watched but could provide a means to water and feed YOUR child....yes I would conclude YOU refused to do anything about it.

If I am being UNKIND and bullying because I came to the conclusion that YOU neglected your child who YOU claimed to love and provide for...then fine...I am unkind and bullying...what would that make YOU though?

• still thinking
    still thinking
    But if someone has come to the conclusion that "god has done nothing" it doesn't make sense.

Tell me N.drew...what EXACTLY has your God done for this child?

It is not logical thinking to be believing "god might be real, but god has done nothing".

Isn't it? What if god was an entitiy that created everything then left it to it's own devices...I think there are believers out there that believe EXACTLY that.

I truly am tying to find some logic in believing there is a God N.drew...but everyday...I find less and less.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Still thinking if God only created everything it is a tremendous thing God has done.

That child can be fed and given clean water. MAN'S selfish power and MAN'S selfish longing to satisfy his OWN desire is IN THE WAY of what God can do for that child. Do you propose that GOD get every selfish person out of the way? And how unselfish and caring does the person have to be to avoid the cut?

Also I have experienced a lot more than the average person. I suspect there are worse things ahead than starving to death.

You have no proof that God is not comforting that boy. You do NOT KNOW if that boy has mind over matter power to feel better than even a person who stuffs himself with food. There are mechanisms in the human body and brain that can overcome many kinds of suffering. Who put them there?

• still thinking
    still thinking

No N.drew, I do not propose that God get man out of the way.....why does God...the all powerful...all mighty have to do anything to get man out of the way? Are we that powerful that we have to move aside for him to help?...Why can't he/it just help this child? Is he incapable?

Comforting that boy??????? I don't even know what to say to you about that N.drew.

If you were allowing YOUR child to starve to death....but were COMFORTING it....I would have no respect for you whatsoever.

• N.drew
    N.drew

So food should appear by magic? How do you propose Heaven provide food and water? Do you have a plan?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit