What exactly is a relasionship with God?

by tootired2care 114 Replies latest jw friends

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Growing up and JW and being around them all my life I constantly heard the expression "a relasionship with God". This always confused me, because how do you have a relasionship with someone that doesn't talk back to you after praying? This was always rationalized as God talks back to you when you read the bible. This always seemed strange to me and I was curious if it was just something that people said, that sounded good (like so many other things JW's do) or if people actually experienced or felt something real. I personally never experienced anything other than silence, and never experienced a helping hand from heaven as so many of the JW yearbooks testify to.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this one. Thanks in advance.

• talesin
    talesin

I think it's having an imaginary friend that you believe is real. Most of the time you tell yourself that you understand they are too busy to listen to your problems, but once in a while, when something good happens, you credit that imaginary friend with making it so.

(hmmm, I kept typing 'fiend', and having to correct it -- subliminal or what?)

tal

• the truth is mine
    the truth is mine

I have to agree with Talesin and maybe just add that you have to give that imaginary friend all the credit for every good thing that happens to you in your life, no matter how hard you worked to achieve them because he made all good things happen but you must take full credit for all of the bad things because those things are all your fault.

• Nambo
    Nambo

Holy Spirit, God doesnt speak back to you when you pray, but when you have that relationship, you know he is there and listening when he gives you Holy Spirit, its like a little tap that gets turned on inside you as soon as you pray, not a particularily good analagy, buy like a tap that when its turned on, dispenses Morphine, if youve ever had it, you will knw what I mean when I say it makes you feel really nice inside.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Yea I'm with you tal & mine. You can't underestimate the positive effect of keeping loneliness at bay and having an inner dialog, the mind is powerful.

Nambo -

So if I'm hearing you right it sounds like you have a strong feeling of calmness or collectiveness.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Good analogy re prayer Nambo.

Loz x.

• Nambo
    Nambo

TT2C, no, not really, in fact back in the day, Ive actually asked Jehovah to take away his Holy Spirit so I can calm down and get some sleep, its more like somebody has a syringe full of Morphine or strong amphepetemines that they inject into you and you feel wonderfull inside, another way I used to put it was it felt like God was tickling you from the inside.

Thanks Loz, do you feel it?, I was supprised to find how few JWs seem to have ever experienced such a relationship with God, when I first mentioned this to another older sister who had "come in", she slammed the brakes of her car so she could turn around in astonishment and say, "so you feel it too, I thought I was the only one".

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

um it's more like somebody has a syringe full of Morphine......really? I mean really? You think that? Clearly you've never administed or taken morphine yourself - that is such a bad analogy. (my opinion)

As for the topic - a relationship with god - since I don't believe in an "outside god/ruler/creator", I believe that you have to go within. It's a simple thing really - if you love yourself with your whole heart and mind, you'll find that god in you and your actions will show that to be the case.

• Nambo
    Nambo

I had morphine once, when I had a burst appendix, suddenly the pain was gone and I felt really really good, I think I started singing or something.

I remember taking a strong ampethemine once, it felt like life, good powerfull life, was suddenly coursing through my veins, that made me feel good.

It may not be the best analogy, and its probably a bit blaspemous as well, but its the best I could come up with, that discribes an externaly administered reaction to prayer, that brings such a profound feeling in your body and mental high.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I never understood it as I've never experienced a 'relationship' with God.

I knew others in the congregation, women in particular, that felt they had a relationship with God. (They thought God helped them with their household chores if they 'put the Kingdom first' & went in the ministry or auxiallary pioneered for the Borg.)

And you have to be careful not to forget to keep telling God how great he is. I mean what sort of personality is it that has to be told he's so great all the time so that he'll be friends & not smite you ???

Do women find it easier to have a relationship with a 'male' entity?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit