Absurd WT Control in April 2012 KM

by LostGeneration 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Remember guys, WT never gives commands, only suggestions.

"Therefore, we should give attention to our dress and grooming while in the convention city, including when we check in at the hotel. Arriving in shorts and a T-shirt would not reflect dignity."
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

This is nothing compared to the sexual rules for MARRIED people.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Yes they have gotten quite petty and pharisaic haven't they?I still remember the two year battle I had with local elders to keep my sideburns, now many brothers have them and it's perfectly acceptable. The more they try to remove individuality from their members and distance themselves from what is comfortable and normal; the more people will run away from them.

• undercover
    undercover

They want JWs to look "business-like" all the time, 24/7.

Problem is, most JWs don't look business like even when dressed up for meetings/service/conventions. Most of them look exactly what they are... un-educated, ignorant, no sense of style window washers wearing cheap, off-the-rack, ill-fitting suits (disclaimer: not all JWs fall in this category, but it's been my experience that it was more often than not, including myself at one time)

"Therefore, we should give attention to our dress and grooming while in the convention city, including when we check in at the hotel. Arriving in shorts and a T-shirt would not reflect dignity ."

Addendum: "Sisters need to be aware that the length, color and style of their burqa is appropriate and that no exposure of flesh is visible. It would also be important to note that ornate embroidary and bright colors would also detract from the diginity of the convention.

Seriously though.... ever notice they stop short of setting in place an actual rule that you can't wear shorts/t-shirts/etc.? It's just a comment: "Arriving in shorts and a T-shirt would not reflect dignity", not a edict dictating that one cannot wear such items. But it does create the air of peer pressure to scare you into not wearing those items. They coereced you to do so without ever really telling you not to.

Of course, it only takes one or two, corn-cobb-up-the-ass elders to go around taking notes and names and then counseling anyone who didn't follow the "rule". And most dubs never realize that there was not hard and fast rule and cave into the pressure from the hardnose types that like to impose their will on everyone.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I don't have the April KM in front of me, but I snickered the other day when I read that article. I don't think I've ever seen this before, but admonished sisters to wear "modest shoes". What's a "immodest shoe"... one that shows too much toe cleavage???

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

There were sisters in my old congregation wearing flip-flops (but nicer ones) to the meeting in the Summer when I was a teenager. We had a local needs part about it.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Ok, so my inlaws now have to drive 7 hours in their meeting clothes in 30-40 degree C (86-100 F) in order to be dignified? Or stop somewhere so they can change before they check into the hotel? What a bunch of garbage.

We also had a special needs part about not wearing flip flops or other "distracting, noisy sandals" or noisy jewelry.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

RO, here is the quote:

Footwear:

Each year a number of injuries occur that are related to footwear. It is best to choose modest, well-fitting shoes that will allow

you to walk safely on ramps, stairs, gratings, and so forth.

• steve2
    steve2

With such tight restrictions on clothing, is it any surprise that the only flesh-induced excitement during conventions is watching the throngs being baptized? The sight of bare naked flesh where clothes usually are (arms, legs and feet revealed) will drive many a young and old attendee into deeply disturbed distraction.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Dear Watchtower Society,

If you want us to wear specific uniforms, then why not just come out and make it mandatory? Instead you put guilt trips on everything from t-shirts to open-toed sandals. Why not just go all out and make us wear Amish-style or weird robes or whatever. You obviously want to get rid of any shred of independant thought, so stop pussy-footing around the subject and just do it.

Sincerely,

Monsignor Falcono

p.s. Do you guys on the governing body wanna see my flair?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit