Emblem stupidity, and the bizarre dance of the confused memorial-taker

by cedars 89 Replies latest jw friends

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

What always unnerved me were the two periods of creepy silence for the bread and wine, punctuated by sounds of the attendants shuffling and the errant cry of a baby. Maybe it's better that hardly anyone partakes. Imagine if we had to hear everyone sip and munch for several minutes in almost complete silence? At least put on one of those awful Kingdom Melodies songs on. You just stare in silence and wait for the emblems to pass you. A fitting ceremony for an austere organization.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

NVR2L8: DJ - thanks for explaining to me what I wrote...without your kind help I would not have not understood my own words...

Interesting observation about his behavior which was modeled by the WTBTS in its condescending Memorial Invitation:

Memorial Invitation 2012

At the risk of stating the obvious, notice how the invited one is first asked, "How do YOU view Jesus?" and then is informed, "You are invited to hear the answer ..." because obviously either the person doesn't know the answer or it's wrong.

It's typical JW rhetoric, let me ask you a question about YOUR beliefs, and then I will tell YOU what they are or what they should be!

Like the old sarcastic retort, "When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you!" So loving! NOT

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

If the date of the celebration is based on when the full moon is first visible in Jerusalem, then it wouldn't really matter if the emblems were passed before or after sundown in North America...because it would already be night in Jerusalem...Getting back to jewish traditions, I have far more trust in Jewish historians than the WT self- proclaimed "scholars"...

So does scripture or Jewish tradition have a take on this? I suppose that sundown was the same for most of their world at the time. But it is a good point. If Passover has already occured in Jerusalem, and that's what we are using to set the date and time, then we should use the date and time.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

WH, did you just say "we"?!?!?

Old habits die hard!!!!

• Nambo
    Nambo

Djeggnog

If you read John Chapter 6, Jesus himself likens the eating of his flesh, as being the bread from heaven that must be eaten in order to gain everlasting life, he compares it to the previous bread from heaven, the Manna, that didnt result in everlasting life, and that was eaten by all, including the mixed company.

• Dagney
    Dagney

That's the first time I saw the invitation. Wow...what a stupid invitation! Writing department is slipping. Makes no sense.

It's typical JW rhetoric, let me ask you a question about YOUR beliefs, and then I will tell YOU what they are or what they should be!

Like the old sarcastic retort, "When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you!" So loving! NOT

Exactly. Rude.

• cedars
    cedars

00DAD - Wow, I never even thought of that when I saw the invite. The memorial invite is indeed a classic showcase of the Governing Body's / Writing Department's pretentious and patronizing approach. Like you said, the way the invite is worded assumes the householder's answer is wrong before it's even been given. Unbelievable.

Great find!!!

Cedars

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well according to the WT, the householder is just wrong to begin with. Does anyone have an invite handy

• 00DAD
    00DAD

WH, Look up, and while you're at it look at both of my posts on either side of your previous one, #Post 7315!!!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

saw the scan of the backside so I can understand what we're talking about. It is a bit over the top, but it's obviously written in a way the predicts the householder will have the wrong answer, according to them

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit