Emblem stupidity, and the bizarre dance of the confused memorial-taker

by cedars 89 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

At one point I remembered something completely unrelated and spent the next 10 minutes or so just thinking about that. I was THAT detached, so very much only there in body and not in mind, or spirit. Great, huh?!

Yea, I can relate. The first couple I went to after "the enlightment", I actually listened closer than I ever had previously. I started to see the 'Judas leaving before the meal' conundrum. I noticed that the talk was more of a commercial for the remnant partakers than it was a memorial for a martyr of the cause.

But after the third one or so, I started not listening. It was the same thing, year in and year out. I could almost give the talk, I knew it so well. So I zoned out and day-dreamed and shook myself awake in time for the juice and cracker ignoring.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Just as a side question - is the word "Emblems" used in this context an exclusively JWism?

Or, do other religions call the bread and the wine this?

• undercover
    undercover

is the word "Emblems" used in this context an exclusively JWism?

Or, do other religions call the bread and the wine this?

Interesting question. I don't know. I was only captive to one religious cult and have not had any experience with any others.

• jambon1
    jambon1

I our old hall they would keep 4 seats at the front clear for the memorial-takers and after the rest of the hall had observed, they would sit there and the brother giving the talk would hand them the plate/wine for it to move along the four of them.

Very silly.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I barely remember memorials, thankfully.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Yet another stupidity - pass it to everyone, yes EVERYONE, so that NOBODY will take them and thus they can prove there are no true christians in the kingdom hall.

A truly weird custom built without the slightest hint of such a thing from the new testament.

• cofty
    cofty

I seem to remember there was a letter at some point on how to do the memorial dance.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Our third memorial not attended!

Cedars - I raise a glass to you (and i will drink from it)!!

• james_woods
    james_woods

Another weirdness - the bread and the wine were no longer "magical" after the final prayer and we could drink the wine after we took it home.

Nobody wanted the unleavened bread. It was horrible.

• tornapart
    tornapart

My first since I 'awakened'... I just felt terribly sad. It was well organised, the talk was delivered extremely well by a very sincere brother and the prayers were heartfelt.

But the bread was already broken and the wine had a hair in it...

I just feel sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit