Emblem stupidity, and the bizarre dance of the confused memorial-taker

by cedars 89 Replies latest jw friends

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Sorry. I think I went off topic a little.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Yeah, that moment of emblem-passing stupidity is something I never got. My wife has even commented about how ritualistic it looks. . . Well. . . That's because its a ritual!

Right, they are performing some "act", that no one seems to know where it came from, or why they have to do it. How did the current method evolve?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Bobcat: Sorry. I think I went off topic a little.

Bobbie, How can you possibly go off topic on a thread devoted to discussing how STUPID and BIZARRE the WTBTS's Memorial rituals are?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I thought Bob was on topic

• 00DAD
    00DAD

WH: I thought Bob was on topic

I agree, it was Bobbie that thought he might've been off topic. (See his post 5 of 5 above).

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Did they mention the number of partakers from last year?

Yes he mentioned the number and emphasised how tiny that is in relation to the 19 million + that attended last year.

I cannot remember when this stupid emblem ritual began but it has been in for a few years now. At our KH the bro giving the talk didn't sit down to receive the emblems. One of the attendants handed him the bread & wine which he handed straight back to the attendant to return to the table. It didn't seem to occur to them that the speaker had already picked up the emblems at the start of the routine and handed the plates and glasses to each of the attendants to take to the audience.

George

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

St George: "... he mentioned the number and emphasised how tiny that is in relation to the 19 million +"

Even that is a dishonest use of statistics. The 19 million+ is everyone that came. The tiny number of partakers is only the ones they chose to count among those that partook.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yea and I don't know many people who do not consider themselves JW's, were never baptized as JW's, yet partake of the emblems at the memorial. Well maybe the small will become a mighty nation of partakers, who will soon eclipse, the non-partakers. A scism will form and the the two religions will form out of one.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

@ St George: I predict in coming years, they will announce that the 144,000 isn't a literal number, but basically means a small percentage of total JWs/Memorial attenders. A literal "little flock" out of a "great crowd". This way, the number of partakers increasing won't be such a big deal because the Memorial attendance is increasing as well! How happifying!!

00DAD I lol'ed at the words to your Memorial hokey pokey!! LOVE IT!

The last Memorial I went to was when I really observed how ridiculous the whole ritual is. "I touched it when I was passing it, but it doesn't count as touching it because an elder or attendant didn't pass it to ME, so I have to sit down with the other attendants and elders and the speaker and we'll pass it between ourselves..."

Then this is the kicker... The speaker went back up to the stage, the attendant who had passed the "emblems" to the other attendants and the speaker brought the wine/bread back up to the stage, put it down, and stood there at the table while the speaker picked it up again, handed it to him, he handed it back, the speaker put it down, and went back to the podium.

Talk about washing up to the elbow...

• designs
    designs

I liked the candles and incense burning, oh wait I was in the wrong Church.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit