Kingdom Hall remodel - scam

by Dagney 84 Replies latest jw friends

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

iclone: Darth frosty...Our last Circuit Assembly there were about 800 people and the total costs incurred were close to 10k for a paid off assembly hall! Many people say it goes into reserve for upgrades, renovations etc.; B.S. they campaigned for $ when they built a new steel perimeter fence and other improvements. It is such a scam-how shameless!

Wow trying to say an assembly of $800 still cost $10G's :eek:

This is a reeaaalllll conservative estimate but say there are an average of 100 assemblies per week in the US, at a cost of 10g per assembly that a $1million dollar haul per week.

Like I said I kept it conservative.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Yes one of the things that bothered me while starting to wake up to the whole scam of it was how can a PAID for assembly hall STILL cost 11k for a two day assembly? I mean, 1,500, 2,500 maybe. But OVER $10,000!!!??!? Electric and water couldn't have totalled more than a grand for the whole weekend so where are the other fucking costs come from??

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I believe the costs of running an assembly are available to be consulted and i've heard the president of the session, go through them from the platform. It's hard to comment on whether 10k is too much or not, because sometimes we don't really think of EVERYTHING that needs to be purchased. It's not just Electric and Water. There are all sorts of supplies that need to purchased and i'm sure they probably even break down other costs of general maintenance by each assembly.

The Org is definetely filling it's pockets by different means, but this doesn't seem the way, or if it is, it's not that significant.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I remember when my old hall was remodeled. It was built in the early 90's and I remember being very puzzled over the remodeling. And now I'm starting to think of other halls in the area that have been remodeled, as well as a hall I was in when I moved out of state: they tore it down and rebuilt on the same spot.

Not to add suspicion where there is no proof, but the thought occurred to me even without making a huge profit, this would seem a good vehicle for money laundering. Of course, I'm not saying this is the case.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

$ M oney is the true God which this organization worships, all the conniving false doctrines to help in the proliferation of the

organization's literature sales and distribution, all the need for donations so that the preaching work can continue before the end

to come, which apparently is always soon. Are all tide to creating wealth for the WTS. as well as extending controlling power over people.

Sure its corrupt and devious but it done such a way toward the public that its perceived that its all virtuous, honest and even life saving.

Put threats of death in front of people's faces and watch how they respond and what you can do to them.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Here's a thought. If the loan is against the property, and u no longer own the property, then the new owner holds the loan. Why not hand the KH back and tell them to kiss your ass

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Good point wha happened ?

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

Your old hall is the same as my old hall, Dagney...really, they're remodelling again?

I drove by there with my boyfriend (also an ex-JW) last week to show him where I used to go. I know that forever it was that half steeple/half not-steeple because it was a church when they bought it and they couldn't decide whether to leave the steeple up or take it down, so they kind of chopped it off halfway and it looked ridiculous and completely ruined the architecture. It stayed that way for decades.

They tore down the hall/church completely about four years ago and rebuilt it from the ground up to look like every other KH, complete with hideous color scheme and busy Las-Vegas patterned carpets. Oh, it was cornea-searingly ugly. It was late 2008 (I had just been laid off and for a brief period I was staying with my mother, who was dragging me to meetings "if I was going to stay in her house"). I even went and handed out drinks/lemonade to the workers and stayed overnight in my mom's van to do security duty a couple of times.

And now they're redoing it again?!?!?! Maybe they got enough complaints about the vomit-inducing color scheme to change it up.

• mP
    mP

I dont understand why they bother to remodel. Theres not exactly a big market in selling KH. The only people you can sell KH as they are, are other religions. Most religions are fading. Who exactly values a KH when for sale with new carpets etc, im guessing most wouldnt care and end up either knocking the building down or at the very least changing everything inside. This remodelling thing seems like a collassal waste of money for no gain.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Big renovation going on in my area. The cost is astronomical. Its estimated to cost over three hundred thousand. The dubs were asked to dig deep. there will be a big loan from the society. The congregation was also told not to fall behind on the regular contributions for the regular maintanance and upkeep of the hall.

A few weeks ago the congregation gave ownership of the building to the society. The dubs didn't even realize what was happening.

This is how it was done:

An elder read and passed a resolution that the congregation would allow the RBC to carry on with the renovation.

Congregation was asked for a show of hands. ( there are many not in favor--but everyone is afraid so all hands go up).

Once this procedure was over, elder read that by allowing the RBC to renovate - the watchtower would now hold the deed of the property.

The congregation diidn't even know what hit them.I don't believe any of them understood the implications.

I was sitting there with my mouth open--thinking omg, they just gave away the farm.

I was watching very carefully the brother reading this---and from his red face, body language, and the way he was chocking on the words, I could tell he was very uncomfortable reading this.

Its' so sad--how this corrupt organization--can ask so much of these poor people. I live in a financially strapped area, with great unemployment. Most of the young don't have good jobs because they are busy cleaning toilets so they can spend most of their day peddling their rags. Yet, these same individuals are asked to dig deep.

I think though that the time is coming when the money will dry up. In this area- there are still a lot of older ones that give generously--but once these older ones pass on---how in the world will this organization be supported. Definitely the younger generations will not have it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit