Kingdom Hall remodel - scam

by Dagney 84 Replies latest jw friends

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

yes mold problems are or were a huge problem with those quick build KM's

• neverscreamagain
    neverscreamagain

MTM: Having conracted Mold remediation repair in the past I know that it can be very lucrative. When this is done at a KH, with Brothers volunteering their services, what happens with the surplus funds. High profit margins with mold remediation and emergency repair. Most of detailed billing is labor. I am assuming that private insurance companies paid the claims?

• hoser
    hoser

the RBC is so controlling that pretty soon we won't be able to change a light bulb without their permission.

this is why I will never serve as an elder again. We are told what needs to be done. how to do it. but if something goes wrong or overbudget, which it always does it ultimately comes out of our pockects/

if the AC quits in the middle of summer we can't just phone the AC repair company and pay the bill. it has to go through the head cheese of the RBC and he finds a "brother" to do the work. if we didn't do this the CO would find out on his next visit and give us shit at the meeting.

an elder actually puts a lot on the line financially when he is signing for the whole congregation but he has no choice in the matter other than stepping down.

another scam is remodling kingdom halls for congregations that will be merged in a year or two. the only reason that they do this is to give the publishers a sense of false hope that somehow MTS brothers will be sent to the hall. (they always send these by twos so they can spy on each other) and they have a newly renovated building to sell.

need a new microphone? can't go to best buy or radio shack and pick one up. gotta go through the RBC and pay some clown who knows f*** all about sound systems to sell the congregation a piece of shit microphone for twice the price that they sell at the big box stores

it's a scam

• Dagney
    Dagney

I have a JW friend that is an inspector for the state in a certain phase of construction, structural. He was part of one of the assembly hall remodels a few years ago. He is still complaining about the negligence on the job. He can tell you exactly what the weak points are of the construction and what is going to happen in what period of time. He's been schooled in his line of work but nothing can overrule a volunteer RBC overseer.

This has turned out to be a very interesting thread. My business mind completely understands these decisions by the corporation. The corporation's goal is to continue to exist and all decisions are made in its best interest...it is delusional to think it is anything other than that. Having control gives it the best means to succeed.

I know they have to exert the pressure on the "flock" to maintain control...but it just angers me. There are so many facets to this scam, the control, the money...but what I find most despicable is the scam on the people. The implied grandiose-ness of the work keeps people on a never ending cycle of self flagellation to keep up with everything, with the hope of gaining approval and avoiding "destruction" thus losing out of "everlasting life" (TM) due to being deemed "less than whole souled" in their "service." (all TM's by WTBS...) Grrrr.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Here is an article that explains how KH upgrades and builds were done in the past. http://ex-jw.com/kingdom-halls-who-owns-them

Menlo Park (CA) Kingdom Hall is a classic example of how the Watchtower HQ and the local RBCs work together to force upgrades and rebuilds on local congregations. The Watchtower makes sure that any upgrade or new construction is recorded as belonging to the corporation, not the local congregation.

Whether the Watchtower charges interest or not isn't important. The local brothers will not only pay for their new KH at a higher cost than could be acquired locally (in spite of mostly free labor), but the locals will also be paying monthly maintenance fees forever + their group donations for "the worldwide building work."

The real question is what does the WT use their donations (aside from KH payments) for? The reality is that the WT gets money from several different pools from every KH and Circuit, but returns little or none of it back to the local congregations.

What a scam! Ask for donations AND payments - and then take ownership of the land and building when everything is complete.

JV

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

NeverScreamAgain: This goes right along with this topic. They live the mold for say 5-10 years then remodel the WHOLE HALL! Take it down to the studs and spray with a treating solution then put it back together with materials purachsed through the RBC with full kick backs to who else...the WTBTS.

Mold is a blessing from God to the borg.

MTM

• baltar447
    baltar447

bttt.

This is too good a thread had to bump.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

In my opinion, JWs who are in the building game are all crooks.

If i hired a tradesman and found he was one i would kick his arse to the curb real quick.

I wonder if one day the Wt will just cash in all its halls and disband the 'religion', after all, they must be making far more $$$ from all the real estate and investments they have...

Oz

• zeb
    zeb

This is most curious. The KH i formerly attended is also up ffor a remodellling of the toilets.

Why? I was real curious and was told the over seer said they needed doing.? There is nothing wrong with them its a waste of money. The tiling is fine the walls are fine and the pedestals are fine with no cracks or stains.

Now i understand why its being done. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

from Australia

• zeb
    zeb

This is all new to me.

I volunteered to work on quick builds and was turned down anonymously flat. "Does this person meet..." etc and a big biroed "NO" in the middle of that part of the form with no explanation as to why or by whom. "Behold the I see then in a glass darkly but now with light". Perhaps they didnt want me around as i might have asked the awkward questions about money, loans etc.

So where does all this $$$ get them? They obviously dont believe the systems end is SOO close or why would they be stockpiling money or is there so many 'silent lambs' to pay off that they need to boost the dollar stockpile?

The day will come when they are attacked by the govts of the world but it wont be because they venerate Christ Jesus or do fine Christian works or because of the name of God. It will be because of these money grubbing ways and all the abused children.

In a former job I have been with folk as they died. Those gentle folk with a clear conscience slipped away peacefully. Those who spent their lives manipulating others who were selfish demanding deceptive and arrogant had a death that was not pleasant at all.

Take it on board 'faithful and discreet slave'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit