Kingdom Hall remodel - scam

by Dagney 84 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

I was wondering from any here in the know, does it seem like there is a lot of "remodels" going on?

In the last week I had the occasion to talk with two JW's in different halls, about 10 miles apart. They both are undergoing major remodels. One is in a low income neighborhood, with people that can ill afford the expensive of the remodel. Last time I was in that hall was about 5 years ago.

The other one is my old hall which was completely redone just before I left, about 10 ears ago and I participated. I used to stop by in the evening to have a beer with security on the way home. NOw I heard last night it is going through another remodel, changing the stage back to where it was before etc.

The reason I ask is my old hall was a former church, the building build in 1920's, and for many reasons, even though the congo could afford it, they choose not to remodel. When we had the first remodel about 10 years ago, my friends (brothers/elders) were appalled at the scam that was being forced on them regarding the cost of the construction charged by the society but performed by volunteer work. It was another straw for me regarding the ethics of the WTBS.

I'm curious what others think here about the RBC work. Are remodels being forced by them? Does it seem like a money making scam for corporate (WTBS), or am I off base?

• Dagney
    Dagney

And another thing, if we are "soooooo close" to the end, wouldn't that money be better spent elsewhere? I supposed that is what is bugging me.

Burdening the congo with more debt they can ill afford p****s me off. In the past KH's performed just needed upkeep, painting, carpet etc to keep it fresh, and the WTBS funds were wrapped up in the printing company. Now that is gone is this an investment tool for them to keep the interest $$$ coming?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

You're right on target, 5 x 5.

This is the new way the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society makes its money and they make a lot of it. Whether it is quick build Kingdom Halls or remodelling them, they are all financed via a loan from the WTB&TS. Yes! There is interest.

On top of that, the WTB&TS ends up holding the deed to all these properties and makes a ton of money every time they sell one of these properties.

• designs
    designs

I remember working on the nearby Slump Stone block Fort of a Kingdom Hall, half the congregation was on Welfare. Publishers who signed the pledge on how much they could afford bailed within a year or two of completion. That was fun.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Yes, the price of a remodel is pretty high. It's a kind of pay-off to RBC honchos. They are told to charge the full price for their equipment and expertise. But the main thing is whether a building already belongs to Headquarters or not. If it still belongs to the local cong. with trustees, then they take out a loan from WTS for a remodel and sign some papers and the building will belong to WTS.

Also, if a building has a bunch of cash in the operating fund, then they probably need a remodel to deplete those funds and pass it on to RBC.

I have seen perfectly suitable Kingdom Halls get a remodel because they had operating cash.

The whole thing is controlled by the C.O.'s report on the finances of the congos. and the condition of the building.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Since the core foundation of this religion is a scam, why would it be so surprising that they would be running a financial remodeling scam.

As far as the title of those newly remodeled KHs being transfered to the WTS., I pointed this out not long ago and some folks said this wasn't true.

If anyone has some accurate information to this I would certainly like to hear from you, I'm sure others as well.

It would seem that by doing so they would be breaking some law regarding non-profit charitable status.

• Ding
    Ding

Dagney's first question was the same one that struck me.

I remember before 1975 a lot of JWs putting off medical care and dental work, giving up jobs, selling houses, etc. because Armageddon was only months away.

Thirty-seven years later, the WTS is still telling JWs that this system of things can't last much longer.

At the same time, they are overlapping generations, buying up more real estate, and having JWs pay to build and remodel kingdom halls.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

One of the real business investments that the WTS. operates under and most JWS are not aware of is its real estate holdings and development

of the holdings. One can look at the properties owned by the WTS. in Brooklyn , where properties were bought and the organization used some

inside JW owned business to remodel those buildings, as well free labor by JWS themselves.

The end result was the increased value of those buildings as they eventually were being sold.

The WTS. exploits people in so many different ways.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Good point Ding

Another questionable thing is why is the WTS. moving out of Brooklyn to develop new and better facilities elsewhere ?

The man behind the curtain isn't just a pretentious demi-god of sorts, he's also an accountant . $$$

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

It's a corporation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit