• cofty
    cofty

Deepity

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Shibboleth

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

(Excuse me, but what the hell is happening to this thread??
    Anyway..)

"If there no activity on earth in the interplay between order and chaos, there would be nothing to choose because there would be nothing."

No natural disasters does not equal zero activity. You still haven't explained why God had to let people die when the Tsunami happened in order for life to exist.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Seraphim23posted~ 19 hours ago(6/24/2014)
    Post813of828Joined4/25/2013
    "Yet if it wasn’t for such processes there would be no sharks to fill their niche in the highly competitive eco system, as the sharks would have died out because of unfit sharks being picked off to extinction. So it also keeps suffering to a minimum when one thinks about it. Certain chemicals that block pain when an organism is under attack more than likely also minimise suffering in the shark. What an amazing thing nature is!"

cofty posted~ 19 hours ago(6/24/2014)
    Post12647of12667
    Joined12/19/2009
    "So the only way your god could think of to produce fit sharks was to have them fight to the death in the womb."

.. Before the thread was diverted again by off-topic comments, an excellent point was made here that is worth repeating. Why would God not be able to design sharks in a way that they could come out of the womb strong enough to protect themselves, without having to kill hundreds of their siblings? Seraphims chaos theory mumbo jumbo seems to indicate that God has left us all to suffer in endless ways because He can't think of a better way to run things.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Oh, and Cofty, is this kind of argument in your 108 page thread somewhere, or is it a new one to you?
    Because I am lost..

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

One final point.

Seraphim said:
    "God can either move you out of the way of the lightning, change where the lightning will strike, or warn you not to go out in the first place. Sometimes people get premonitions of danger and so don’t get on the plane that will later crash for example. With this method free will is not affected, as the person still has a choice to ignore the warning or not. "

Seraphim also said:
    "I do admit that God can intervene in disasters without affecting free will and he does in my view, just not all disasters all of the time, as that would create issue for free will."

Putting these statements together, you admit that God COULD warn people about a future natural disaster and let them decide whether to avoid it, without affecting free will.
    You then say he DOES NOT do that all of the time because of the issue of free will.
    Therefore if (theoretically speaking) mankind were to develop a flawless and 100% reliable natural disaster predicting device, that could warn people of any and all deadly earthquakes/tornadoes/etc in time for people to avoid or flee from them, would you say that it should not be used all of the time, as it would be harmful to free will?

• Terry
    Terry

The only thought I have to contribute to this discussion is the following.

Why do we have a double standard?

If our values aren't consistent it means we have no integrity (what we say we believe we do not practice with consistency.)

What am I talking about?

WE LET GOD SLIDE.

If any human father drowned his children, sent a she bear to rip children apart, sat back and watched his son be tortured, etc---we would

call the man a monster and a psychopath.

When it comes to God--WE DROP OUR STANDARDS OF DECENCY, JUSTICE AND LOVE!

So, to be as brief as possible---either you are a moral thinker or you are a person who makes excuses and abides by a double-standard.

Why not take a look at your values a little harder.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program . . .

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Well, if Seraphim never comes back, I think that the points have been made well enough. It's a shame, though..

• Twitch
  • defender of truth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit