Theists, why does God allow suffering..

by The Quiet One 754 Replies latest watchtower bible

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

BTS, makes a good point and by way of extension are we not all making a projection of God having feelings of love, empathy, hate, and jealousy? Why should we conclude"God" to have feelings like ours?Isn't this a pure assumption? Is this not a projection of our own feeling onto an imaginary God that lives in our heads?

This might be a manifestation that we still view God as a man with legs and arms like us. It is all projections that limit our imaginations about God,, I think it better not to do so or if we do it we at least acknowledge it to ourselves who knows how much our world view might change?

http://youtube.com/v/rhaxV0rFlnE&feature=related

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

From the article:

Many scientists believe extinction of animal species is taking place at an accelerated rate.
    All those creatures, from the smallest to the largest, had the Creator’s loving concern.

I wonder where he was when the dinosaurs went into extinction through a catastrophic event, such as either a meteor impact or volcanic winter?

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    Why should we conclude"God" to have feelings like ours?Isn't this a pure assumption?

Not if you base yourself on the Bible. There, it shows all his range of emotions.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Then you must decide if he (a) allows Evolution or (b) scripted it.

Maybe this is the best He could do.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Maybe this is the best He could do.

Reminds me of. . .

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

-- Woody Allen

• robB
    robB

from Cofty: "My question to you still stands, how do you connect the naked lady eating the fruit with suffering in animal kingdom?"

If the Bible is true then all of creation was affected by the fall, animals too. Genesis 3:17,18 and Romans 8:19-21. If this is not so, what point is Isaiah trying to make in his analogy here:

Isaiah 11:6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
    See All...
    The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

Isaiah 65:25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.
    See All...
    The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.

This is a most reasonable view. I wouldn't die for it.

• robB
    robB

from leavingWT: "If you'd like to briefly give a summary of the evidence that convinces you that God exists, I'd be happy to examine it. (For the sake of the discussion, you should probably define 'God', too. If you're a Christian, then I'm likely familiar with the general outline.)"

Hmm, how do I give a summary of evidence that convinces me that God exists? There are so very few people who can give an concrete answer to this. But first a deep thought for you to ponder. If there is no God then abiogenesis is the way we got here. What is the difference between you accepting abiogenesis and your former master's invisible return of Jesus?

The points:

The ancient Jews actually existed. They carried around texts that were meticulously preserved. Jesus existed. The life of Jesus was recorded by eyewitnesses and hangers on with provable claims. The records of his life were produced in the first century for the audience who could verify the data. The events of his life matched the prophecies expected for the saviour of the ancient Jews.

The most plausible explanation drawn from theses facts and the thousands of pieces of manuscript evidence lead to conclusions that Jesus is God.

• cofty
    cofty

If the Bible is true then all of creation was affected by the fall, animals too. - robB

You seem to have no understanding at all of the natural world. Maybe you spend too much time with your head in the bible?

Take just the one example of the cheetah. Every feature of its body is designed to catch prey and tear it apart. Its eyesight, hearing, camoflague, teeth, claws, skeleton, muscles and digestive system. Its very muscle fibers called myosin are of a particular type that permits it to accelerate to 60mph to catch its hapless victims.

So how many of these features did the cheetah have before the naked lady listened to the talking snake and ate the fruit?

Now ask yourself the same questions for every one of the millions of predator and parasitic species on the planet.

Your answer doesn't work for reasons I have explained at least three times now.

As for Isaiah he is simply using poetic language to prophesy a future time of peace. Nothing to do with actual animals at all. Just take a closer look at the animal kingdom and you will see how risible such a notion is.

• cofty
    cofty

The events of his life matched the prophecies expected for the saviour of the ancient Jews.

For example?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If there is no God then abiogenesis is the way we got here. What is the difference between you accepting abiogenesis and your former master's invisible return of Jesus?

I've never viewed it as a choice between God and abiogenesis. I'm not very familiar with abiogenesis, but I seem to recall it's one theory. I'm of those people who has accepted he will go to his grave not having the answers to many (seemingly) important questions. You could say I belong to the Church of I Don't Know.

We're happy to have you, here. I'm afraid I've taken this conversation off the topic of the OP. I'll see you on some of the other threads.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit