Latest Watchtower page 30... They have some nerve to put this!

by TimothyT 100 Replies latest watchtower bible

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Billy the Ex-Bethelite:

Actually, I quoted an example from wikipedia.

I didn't want to say anything condescending in response, but after reading these seven words of your response, it is clear to me now that what I thought to be the Oral Law isn't, and I really need to start doing all of my research using Wikipedia as you do. <:-J>

You also didn't cite an example of Jesus rebuking anyone for not properly observing a sabbath rule, which I asked for.

I'm sure you will remember the following exchange:

(@Billy the Ex-Bethelite:)

Many of the pharisees "rules" actually made the archaic law tolerable for the Jews.

(@djeggnog:)

How so, @Billy the Ex-Bethelite? I'd like to see an example -- just one would be sufficient -- of a rule imposed by the Pharisees that made the Mosaic Law more "tolerable" for the Jews as you just suggested here.

The Pharisees and their "Oral Law" said that you would have to pay financial damages to the injured person.... So there's one example.

It's rather interesting that you won't let this weak argument of yours die. Am I now to understand that the "Oral Law" is Wikipedia? or that the Pharisaic interpretation of Exodus 21:23, 24, came from a Wikipedia article? In the event you don't yet understand what I'm saying to you, @BillyEB, but as I didn't accept "the Mishnah" in your first response, I don't accept "Wikipedia" either, since I was looking for a scriptural citation where "a rule imposed by the Pharisees [was made to make] the Mosaic Law more 'tolerable' for the Jews."

Then there is this exchange:

Jesus often condemned the Pharisees because he believed the Mosaic Law should be interpreted even more liberally, lifting nearly all of the sabbath restrictions.

Like what exactly? You say Jesus lifted nearly all of the sabbath restrictions, believing the Mosaic Law should be interpreted "more liberally" than the Pharisees had interpreted the Law, but please provide an example of Jesus having lifted any of the sabbath restrictions. I don't believe you can name a single one since Jesus kept the Law; he didn't abrogate it as you are saying here.

You, as a JW, really believe that Jesus' sacrifice didn't end ALL of the sabbath restrictions?!?!?

As a result of this, I go on to point out how I didn't believe you could provide a single example of Jesus ever lifting or abrogating the sabbath since what you wrote for what you wrote was this:

Jesus often condemned the Pharisees because he believed the Mosaic Law should be interpreted even more liberally, lifting nearly all of the sabbath restrictions.

What you did not write was this:

Jesus often condemned the Pharisees because he believed the Mosaic Law should be interpreted even more liberally, his sacrifice lifting nearly all of the sabbath restrictions.

What you wrote [was] that Jesus often condemned the Pharisees because he believed the Mosaic Law should be interpreted even more liberally, lifting nearly all of the sabbath restrictions," but you didn't mention a thing about "Jesus' sacrifice" at all! Now you are asking me if I don't believe Jesus' sacrifice brought all sabbath restrictions to an end. I'm sure you remember that I called you on this statement, because this statement of yours wasn't true. Then, in order to (I suppose) obfuscate the fact that I had just outted your statement for what it was, you go on to ask me the following:

I'd like to see an example -- just one would be sufficient -- of Jesus rebuking someone for not properly observing a sabbath rule!!!

What's wrong with you? Give it up, son. You lost this one, @BillyEB.

You wrote the following in response to something that @Mary wrote about her childhood experiences in school:

... that annoyed me terribly when I went to Bethel ... while it was the kids on the front line having to face all the holiday and nationalism issues in school. It all goes back to Rutherford. He really hated kids and wanted to make our lives miserable.

So you weren't one of these "kids on the front line" when you were at Bethel, and yet you seem to be saying that "the humiliation [that @Mary had to face] every morning in school" was because Judge Rutherford hated kids? You sound bitter, but I don't understand why the bitterness or how you are able to make this connection, but I'm just curious as to how you would answer this question: I was just reading Hebrews 10:26-31, and was wondering how endurable you think it is going to be for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on Judgment Day. Any ideas?

@djeggnog

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

@djeggnog.

HAHA… I find reading your comments like listening to the elders in my congregation: Long winded, full of judgment, full of pride, full of the ‘holier than though’ attitude. I am in no position to judge you, nor do I want to. I have no doubt either than you have read your bible and know it quite well… better than me it seems. As for me, I will continue to study the scriptures and continue to gain insight into what they truly mean. I feel it is quite an assumption on your part that people like me and many others do not comprehend scriptures such as John 3:16. I have not explained how I feel about these yet you tell me that im out of my depth and clueless. It seems to me that you are mirroring the mentality of the JWs once again. JUDGING OTHERS JUDGING OTHER JUDGING OTHERS. Did you not realise that Jesus condemned this?

Regarding gay, I hear what you are saying. I had to deal with this for so long and in the end, I came to a decision to be true to who I am. I know what the scriptures (supposedly) say, but it’s incredibly demeaning to live a life where you are not being true to yourself. Romans 3:23 says that all have sinned and fall short of Gods Glory. You are in included in that eggnog. I wonder, even now maybe there is some kind of fleshly desire or such that you are pursuing, perhaps not entirely devoting your life to Jesus? This is the reason why we need grace and why God has given it to us surely. Because although we try (just as I am trying so hard for Jesus despite my imperfections) we all fail miserably. I do not feel that I am assured salvation; likewise I do not feel that any one of us should be. The choice rests with Jesus Christ. However I can do what I can to show him that I am honest and doing my best for him in my own personal circumstances.

Hehe… I TOTALLY AGREE! I KNOW im inadequate when it comes to discussing the bible. Im not a scholar or a historian. That is why I read the bible all the time and study it to try and gain a better knowledge of it so I can serve God as best I can. I can openly and honestly say that because I would like to believe im a genuine and sincere person who does not know everything.

I hope to see you in paradise brother eggnog! :)

• pharmer
    pharmer

One poster writes,

You see, Jehovah's Witnesses are taught to follow their consciences,… you no doubt just followed along in doing what things you were told to do by…others …never really appreciating what…it requires of a Christian.

What you might read in the Watchtower or in any of our publications might be talking to youand might not be talking to you,…1 Corinthians 10:20 talks asks the question, "why should it be that [our] freedom is judged by another person's conscience?" Why get all upset with the elders and their "rules"? They are only trying to help , but what they interpret one way may not apply equally to you, and they wouldn't know what is applicable to you, but you would.

… petty things…ended up with many of you getting expelled and shunned … Jehovah's Witnesses must learn…bitching and moaning with the elders…are the kinds of things that we have to learn how not to do.

***w83 3/1p.25par.16WhatIsOurPositionTowardOpposersoftheTruth?***

Consider some of the other “twisted things” used to mislead God’s people today. On occasion opposers will question the various teachings that Jehovah’s people hold in common. Often this becomes a debate about words, just as it was in the first century. (1 Timothy 6:3, 4 ) They may also question the need for an organization to direct the minds of God’s people.

***g78 8/22p.3, 4DoOthersDoYourThinking?***

EDUCATION teaches you how to think.Propagandists tell you what to think.

….

Will you let others think for you, or will you do your own thinking?Do your own, and “thinking ability itself will keep guard over you.”At the same time, it must be admitted that we need good and proper guidance

• pharmer
    pharmer

In summary:

· There is a “need” for an organization to direct the minds of JW’s; it must be admitted we need good and proper guidance.

· Using your organizationally directed mind, follow your conscience by following what is interpreted by the organization as being ”required”.

· WT literature may or may not be relevant for your own conscience – see the organization for what is “required”.

· Elders might have “petty rules” that may or may not apply to you – see the organization for what is “required”.

· JW’s must learn to not bitch and moan about what is “required” by these “petty rules”.

Won’t you consider coming back to this organization before it becomes too late for you to do so?

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@TimothyT:

HAHA… I find reading your comments like listening to the elders in my congregation: Long winded, full of judgment, full of pride, full of the ‘holier than [thou]’ attitude. I am in no position to judge you, nor do I want to.

As you're a fleshly Christian, you are in no position to judge others, for only a spiritual person can judge others, and he or she should judge, his or her judgment comes from God, his or her judgment would be based on what things God says to us through his word, the Bible. Any other judgment if not God's would be a wrong judgment, a subjective judgment, judgmental in nature, the kind of judgment that a spiritual person must avoid since even mature Christians are not faultless and should not be considering themselves as being superior to others.

Those persons that are fleshly in their viewpoint, in their outlook and point of view definitely lack both the capacity and the freedom of speech to judge a mature Christian using God's word, which is why I commend you in admitting that you are in no position to make an examination of me for the things that pertain to God -- spiritual things -- are foolishness to you, but the spiritual person examines all things.

You would criticize me for being "full of judgment," but I swore an oath and now have a duty to hold God in accurate knowledge, which is why I study the Bible. I made a vow to do God's will just like you did and so you have to know that the judgments I make are not mine at all, but are God's. You made a dedication to God just as I did, @TimothyT, and you, as a Christian, had a duty to hold God in accurate knowledge also, but you returned to the things belong and didn't do that, you neglected to study the Bible and have now abandoned the way of the truth.

And so now, between you and I, as a result of your decision to abandon your vow and pursue your own fleshly desires, you are no longer holy. You were once holy, but now I am holier than you, and this very attitude of holiness that I have is one in which I can and do take pride, for it is no small feat for anyone to be transformed from the self-willed individual that was a part of my old personality into the holy man I am today, someone that serves Jehovah in true righteousness and loyalty, with an attitude that is acceptable to God. I take pride in the fact that Jesus considered me faithful by assigning me to a ministry, by his giving me the honor of ministering to the spiritual needs of others upon my having been made adequately qualified by God to serve as a minister to the flock and to the world, as did Christ, rendering a sacred service to God with a view to showing others the way to their becoming reconciled to God through Christ and restored to His favor.

I have no doubt either than you have read your bible and know it quite well… better than me it seems. As for me, I will continue to study the scriptures and continue to gain insight into what they truly mean. I feel it is quite an assumption on your part that people like me and many others do not comprehend scriptures such as John 3:16. I have not explained how I feel about these yet you tell me that im out of my depth and clueless. It seems to me that you are mirroring the mentality of the JWs once again. JUDGING OTHERS JUDGING OTHER JUDGING OTHERS. Did you not realise that Jesus condemned this?

You know that you are now exchanging posts with a servant of God, and not with someone in Christendom that would be amenable to what you say here about Jesus condemning our judging others, because Christendom's ministers don't even know Jehovah and don't know any better. But you have come to know Jehovah and his son, @TimothyT. What Jesus condemned was our making subjective judgments, coming up with our own rules based on our own subjective standards as to what someone else should or should not be doing. Our judgments must not be judgmental, for all such judgments are what Jesus condemned. However, if our judgments are objective in nature, if our judgments are based on God's commandments found in the Bible, Jesus did not condemn these for God's commandments are what Jesus commands of us to observe as well.

If you fully comprehended scriptures like John 3:16, why would you not be doing this? Why would you not be exercising faith in Jesus' name as the Ransomer and the one appointed by God to judge the world of mankind in righteousness? If you needed to pay the mortgage on your home and other monthly bills and you accepted employment with an employer that agreed to write you a check on the condition that you would work x number of hours per week, and you comprehended the fact that earning the money you need to pay your bills from this employer is based on your performance with respect to the things you agreed to do, then why wouldn't you perform?

What Jesus is essentially saying at John 3:16 is that your salvation is dependant upon your performance, is based upon whether you obediently carry out the tasks that Jehovah God's man-in-charge, Jesus Christ, assigns to you to do, for God is only going to write a check, as it were, to those that perform according to His will. Jesus -- God's man-in-charge -- has asked of us is to take in knowledge of his Father's requirements, so that after we have come to know how to worship God in spirit and truth, we can become reconciled to God and bless ourselves by becoming one of Jesus' disciples and getting baptized. By sharing the things we have learned as a disciple of Christ with others, we make it possible for them to become reconciled to God and bless themselves by becoming disciples and getting baptized.

God wants the world to become reconciled to him, and while God knows that not everyone will do what things are necessary to become reconciled with him, he knows that there are some in the world that will hear his entreaty and do the things necessary to accomplish the reconciliation. Consequently, out of love for the world of mankind, God sent his Jesus to proclaim the good news of the kingdom, which is the message of the reconciliation, and through Jesus God began telling the world, starting with the Jews, to repent and to put faith in the good news, and beginning with the first to respond in a positive way to God's message through Christ, his apostles, it was with them that the message of the reconciliation came to be spread throughout the earth, and it same message continues to be spread by Jehovah's Witnesses today in some 236 lands and islands of the sea.

Just like back in the first century AD before the apostasy set in, we are today learning how to live our lives with godly devotion and everlasting life in view despite all of the tumult that exists in the world, which we all must endure until this system of things finally comes to an end. In addition to our enduring the restrictions placed on us by the governments under which we live (i.e., tolerating laws that seem to us to be unreasonable, gas prices, inflation, etc.), in the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses, we are constantly reminded of what our mental attitude should be when we come together for worship.

The fact is that our being united in worship doesn't mean that we are always going to get along with everyone in the congregation when we are beset by problems outside of the congregation, such as one of your children is sick again and because you have no job, you have no health insurance coverage and what savings you had are depleted, you have to enlist the help of your irresponsible ex to help with the kids so that you can take a part time job that pays just enough to pay the doctor's bill, but not enough to affect your unemployment benefit.

Our human imperfections do not make it easy to be the spiritually-minded people that we may want to be, and someone in the congregation, maybe an elder or someone single with no children to raise or someone whose children are grown, might say something to you or about you that rubs you the wrong way, which leads to friction in the congregation, while the problems at home being to overwhelm you so that you start missing meetings to maybe avoid the person with whom there is friction. Over time, it seems we have lost some of the spiritual grounding that we once had.

Maybe we have ailing parents for whom we must provide care, doing things for them at their home on a daily basis that they can no longer do for themselves as well as doing the things we must do for our own immediate family at home, for we might need to arrange our schedules to help them get them to appointments with their doctor. Perhaps we have our own health issues, like we might discover we need eyeglasses or that we need better eyeglasses; maybe the hearing in one of our ears has diminished or perhaps the pain medication doesn't seem to be working, as we struggle to get a handle on a life that has been transformed into a pain management and assisted living odyssey, while giving little or no attention to our own spiritual needs.

The loss of employment makes it even harder to make ends meet and now you have to figure out how you are going to pay that $800 fine imposed on you for a traffic violation or figure out how you're going to be able to function without a car because you cannot get it registered until you have the money to pay the fine. Or, when money is already tight, you need to hire a plumber to resolve a sewer problem. We have to take care of our family, so having one job may not be enough, so we discover that our spiritual needs are longer given the priority they once had for once we tool that second job, there's hardly enough time for sleep.

Then there's the matter of loneliness and the need for human companionship. Some women want to have children, but in the congregation they have yet to find a husband (or a potential husband has yet to find them) so they being to look outside of the congregation and what do you know? There are lot of "potentials" outside of the congregation and the thought of having a relationship with someone of the same gender as ourselves to cure the loneliness we feel becomes especially appealing when we have a same-sex attraction that comes naturally to us. So what often happens is that we decide we're just going to go out on a date just once a week with someone and that's it, or maybe kiss the person we're dating and that's it, or maybe touch the person we're dating and that's it, and suddenly that's not it.

While there's been no fornication yet, you may be romantically linked to the person, and it's even harder for the gay person -- our sister or brother in the congregation -- because he or she will not be able to conceal for very long his or her romantic attraction to the new person, who has not only begun to attend our meetings, but has agreed to and is currently having a Bible study, whereas the congregation seems to be oblivious and even more accepting of the romantic interest shown by the new person that has been accompanying our sister or our brother to the meetings to our sister or brother, for he or she has agreed to and is currently having a Bible study.

Now I don't need to tell you how this goes: Homophobic bigotry rears its head as the disgust some feel about what they think is going on between you and the new person causes a few to take the initiative in sleuthing activities designed to find evidence of something sexual going on between you and the new person for fornication that involves a same-sex couple is more intolerable for some reason than fornication that involves a different-sex couple in their minds, so while some begin to stalk you and the new person that is studying, the sister or brother and the new person that is studying that everyone knows has a romantic interest in you isn't being stalked by anyone.

You see, their relationship is a natural one, and they might even get married, but this relationship over here may be an unnatural one, and make no mistake about it: Jesus didn't die for gays. So let's get the evidence or something we can use as evidence and deal with these people once and for all. Can you imagine Jehovah's Witnesses treating someone they think might be gay and maybe is gay in the same way in which Jesus was treated by the Pharisees, who stalked him as they sought evidence that could be used against him?

Well, there are elders that are judgmental, who bash people because they are gay and do not seem to want to help them to gain life -- maybe their reasoning is such that they believe gay persons are unsuitable to life with them in God's new order, I don't know -- but God's judgment is against fornicators, no matter what their sexual orientation might be, but the elders are imperfect, too, and many of them before becoming Jehovah's Witnesses had issues with race and homosexuality, and perhaps some of them would bash gays and may have railed against gays and certain ethnic groups that they and others in the churches that they attended before they became Jehovah's Witnesses did not like, and now what prejudices and biases they had are no longer dormant, and so they feel that must "root out" what is bad.

We are not perfect and we will not be thinking about your problems at home or why you've missed so many meetings. The new people in your local congregation think you're new, too, because you haven't been there for months and, to be fair, a couple of elders did call on you once during this time, but you weren't home at the time, and they just neglected to leave you a note to this effect. A note might have lifted your spirits, but, again, we are all imperfect people; somebody forgot to do that and so you concluded that no one remembered you or even noticed that you were missing.

While it may be difficult to do, we must learn to forgive these elders their sins, too, the same elders that didn't seem to want to forgive you your sins, your shortcomings, even as we would want others to forgive us our sins, which is why Christians are exhorted in the Bible to put up with and forgive one another freely.

@TimothyT, Christians are exhorted not to forsake the gathering of ourselves together for a reason: It is in the congregation of God that we learn how to love others just as God loves us for it is there that we learn how to incite others to love and fine works, where we learn how to clothe ourselves with the tender affections of compassion, and kindness, and lowliness of mind, and mildness, and long-suffering. It is in the congregation of God that we learn how to put up with one another and forgive one another freely if anyone has a cause for complaint against another.

I'm not leaving out the elders, but I mean to include the elders that might have "a cause for complaint" against someone that is gay, but won't try to understand that they, too, struggle with human imperfections of their own, and they may not want to lift a finger to help them to deaden their body members as they might someone "straight" that might be struggle with his or her own human weaknesses. We are all in need of being saved from this death, from our inclination to sin, and until our relief comes, we all should be able to find solace in the congregation of God for the help we need. You won't find such help outside of God's organization, @TimothyT.

Regarding gay, I hear what you are saying. I had to deal with this for so long and in the end, I came to a decision to be true to who I am. I know what the scriptures (supposedly) say, but it’s incredibly demeaning to live a life where you are not being true to yourself.

You came to a decision? Adam wanted to be true to himself and he's dead. You say you "know what the scriptures (supposedly) say," but I'm only interested in what they actually do say and so should you. You say it's incredibly demeaning to live life "not being true to yourself," so what exactly are you? Do you consider yourself to be more of the human being than I am or less than the human being that I am? Are you telling me that you cannot serve Jehovah and be gay? Or, are you really telling me here that you cannot serve Jehovah without giving in to your own fleshly desires? I don't see your being gay as having anything at all to do with what you are saying here about your "not being true to yourself." If it happens to be the case that you are having sex with someone to whom you are not married, then what are you doing @TimothyT? Is this what you mean by being "true" to who you are? In that case, you cannot be a Christian, so who are you?

Are you telling me that you cannot obey God's command and abstain from fornication? Well, if you cannot do so, you can't be expected to do the impossible, but there are others just like you in Jehovah's organization -- those who are gay and those who are not "straight" -- people that have had to battle against their own fleshly desires and have won, people who are now serving Jehovah today and are "being true" to themselves.

Romans 3:23 says that all have sinned and fall short of Gods Glory. You are in included in that eggnog. I wonder, even now maybe there is some kind of fleshly desire or such that you are pursuing, perhaps not entirely devoting your life to Jesus? This is the reason why we need grace and why God has given it to us surely.

Like you, I'm imperfect, too, but as it happens, I am someone that is attracted to the opposite sex. But because I am married and I regard marriage as holy, something that is honorable and sanctified by God, if I were to let my own fleshly desires control me, then I would be lose my righteous standing before God, I would lose my holiness, my white robe would be stained and I wouldn't be able to enter God's spiritual house. I am dedicated to do God's will, which is to follow Christ's lead, and am devoted to my wife. This means that I don't have to be concern myself with the possibility that a "Billie Jean" will be suing me for child support because the kid's eyes look like mine, and it's unlikely that I'll ever contract any of those diseases that I mentioned in one of my previous messages nor will I have to take meds for the rest of my life because I contracted herpes or something, nor have to worry about my penis falling off.

Because although we try (just as I am trying so hard for Jesus despite my imperfections) we all fail miserably. I do not feel that I am assured salvation; likewise I do not feel that any one of us should be. The choice rests with Jesus Christ. However I can do what I can to show him that I am honest and doing my best for him in my own personal circumstances.

First, you have to be honest with yourself, @TimothyT. The choice rest with you. Jesus Christ did his part in that he died to make it possible for you to get life. Christians look to Christ's sacrifice as the basis for the forgiveness of our sins, but as an excuse to sin. It's up to you now to exercise faith in his ransom sacrifice -- John 3:16 -- and recognize that when Jesus said that he said that he is "the way and the truth" -- John 14:6 -- he was saying that the truths he taught about God constitute "the way of life" -- our religion -- by which we must learn to live our lives, the way of the truth. If you aren't honest with yourself, then there's absolutely no way that you will not be able to get through that narrow door. You have to be willing to do your part, you have to be willing to exercise faith in Jesus' name by obeying him. What you should decide to do is up to you.

Hehe… I TOTALLY AGREE! I KNOW im inadequate when it comes to discussing the bible. Im not a scholar or a historian. That is why I read the bible all the time and study it to try and gain a better knowledge of it so I can serve God as best I can. I can openly and honestly say that because I would like to believe im a genuine and sincere person who does not know everything. [¶] I hope to see you in paradise brother eggnog! :)

I'm a Bible scholar, but I'm no theologian. Did you know that it is not a requirement that an elder be a Bible scholar? Actually, a Christian doesn't need to be a Bible scholar; Peter, John, James, none of Jesus' apostles were Bible scholars, but genuineness and sincerity aren't enough. Taking in knowledge of God and Christ is a requirement if you want to gain life, and being honest with yourself is very important. The reason Christians were given the commission to preach the kingdom of God was to keep us mindful of what God's expects of us while helping the disciples we make to learn what they must do to gain life in God's new order. However, the Bible speaks of those that are "always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth," and it is a waste of time to be reading and studying the Bible while trying to gain a better understanding of it if you don't realize that the Bible speaks only to Christians.

@TimothyT, you will never come into an accurate knowledge of the truth and make the truth your way of life by reading and studying the Bible on your own. The Bible was written for the edification of God's people -- for Christians -- and if you are sincerely interested in gaining an accurate knowledge of the truth, you need to come back to Jehovah's organization and as indicated at Acts 8:31, let one of the Christians there guide you. I, too, look forward, @TimothyT, to seeing you in paradise!

@djeggnog

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

djeggnog,

No Biblical examples from you again, I see. By mentioning Exodus 21:23,24, it's clear that you believe that someone should get blinded in one eye if they injure someone else's one eye. And if you think the Pharisees were evil for saying that a person should pay financial damages instead of getting blinded, quit blowing smoke and come out and say so. If you don't like the fact that Wikipedia is smarter than you, that's no reason to get insulting toward me. I just tried to inform you of something that most people you may contact in your door-to-door work will know. Just be very careful if you ever talk to Jews and try to tell them about THEIR religion and nationality.

It's clear that you choose to ignore the Biblical account of Jesus letting his disciples travel, trespass, and harvest wheat on the sabbath, all against sabbath laws. I provided a solid Biblical account with commentary from Watchtower. You can't just sweep something like that under the rug and think that everyone wouldn't notice. No doubt if some Christian brought this up at the door, you would begin with insults and name-calling. True are the words...

(Matthew 7:6) 6 “Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw YOUR pearls before swine, that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip YOU open.

...you couldn't disprove my pearls of wisdom, so you had to trample on the Biblical record of the words and deeds of Jesus Christ, and you turn around to launch a personal attack to rip me open. Jesus warned me that I'd be wasting my time with your kind. Since I know these words are wasted on you, I'm posting them for the benefit of any and all lurkers of this forum that are frustrated with that type of hypocracy that they see in the Kingdom Hall.

I see that you're very frustrated and continually restating your "you didn't say that Jesus' sacrifice ended the sabbath." I'm sorry that you didn't realize that we are living in 2012. Jesus and the Pharisees he was speaking to died nearly 2000 years ago. If you like imagining that the gospel accounts are somehow current, and Jesus hasn't died yet, let the householders know. Tell them that Jesus sacrifice didn't release Christians from sabbath restrictions. That's clearly what you believe.

And if you don't already realize that Jesus was liberal with things like women's rights, treating them like people rather than property (John chap 7, among many others), tell it to the women when you meet them at the door. The Mosaic Law made no provision for a woman to divorce. Women were property, first of their fathers, then of their husbands, or they were sold to their rapist as if they were damaged goods (Deut. 22:28,29). But Jesus, this "Women's Liberation radical," said that women could divorce their husbands for adultery (Mark 10:12). Wow, Jesus said that a woman could divorce the husband! Totally radical! Some householders will know this fact. Obviously, you do not. Don't get angry with me for educating you to such important information. There are so many things from the Bible that you could learn. But that's not what's in your heart. Your heart is obviously full of anger and hatred, so that's what you look for in the Bible.

And if you can't provide even one example -- just one would be sufficient -- of Jesus rebuking someone for not properly observing a sabbath rule, just say so. It looks pretty foolish for you to congratulate yourself for actually failing that simple request. All your "blah, blah, blah" and you can't even come up with one quote from the Bible.

Again, just as you started your personal attack on me in this thread when I was posting directly to Timmy, you now insert yourself into my comment to Mary... and you actually edit out her name in the opening ellipsis. Mary knows that I had a rough childhood being raised as a JW. Why do you again lauch into a hateful attack on me?

djeggnog: "So you weren't one of these "kids on the front line" when you were at Bethel, and yet you seem to be saying that "the humiliation [that @Mary had to face] every morning in school" was because Judge Rutherford hated kids? You sound bitter, but I don't understand why the bitterness or how you are able to make this connection,"

Obviously, when I was in my 20s at Bethel, I wasn't a child in school . You must be freakin' Sherlock Holmes. But when I was in Bethel, I met some of the men that were responsible for the decisions that made my years in school unpleasant. I don't need to "sound bitter", I am bitter because I was also one of those kids. Didn't you even read what you copied and pasted? I said,"He really hated kids and wanted to make our lives miserable." I said "our", OUR. I was one of the kids, like Mary. Did you not notice that I included myself in those with miserable childhoods. And I happen to be an expert on the subject because my parents were raised JWs as well. But my dad was able to celebrate the last of the holidays before Rutherford outlawed them all. Read the "Children" book for yourself. Rutherford hated kids and had nothing to do with his own son. But before he unleashed that hatred on the kids, it was actually a visiting colporteur that helped make my dad's Halloween costume one year. But Rutherford put an end to any fun for kids. He put the children in the front lines for JW neutrality by not saluting the flag. If you read the Proclaimers book, you'd know that. By the time I came along to school, my own parents came to realize how unhappy, isolated, and restricted our lives were as JW kids. Against the JW official regulations, my parents actually allowed my siblings and me to go to prom and one school sporting event per year. My dad actually got in a little trouble for trying to make our lives as JWs just a little more bearable sometimes. But that's a reality in JW world that you prefer to ignore. Go ahead and hate me for it. It's exactly what we on the forum here expect from you.

djeggnog: "I'm just curious as to how you would answer this question: I was just reading Hebrews 10:26-31, and was wondering how endurable you think it is going to be for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on Judgment Day. Any ideas?"

Since you asked so nicely, I'll enlighten you. The reason for your confusion is obvious. No doubt you are looking for assistance from me because Watchtower has flip-flopped so often on whether the residents of Sodom and Gomorrah will be resurrected. Right now their choosing to ignore Jesus' words at Matt. 11:23, suggesting that they would be worthy of resurrection. But Jesus was just the Messiah, so WT doesn't give much weight to his words. After searching your WT Library CD, you probably can't tell up from down on the judgment of Sodom. Currently, WT teachs that those destroyed at Sodom will not be resurrected. Problem is, just when you think you can trust WT teachings, they flip-flop again. A Watchtower may come out next month reversing that and you have to make a mental 180 and convince yourself that "the light is getting brighter," although you know that it would just be flipping back to an earlier interpretation. Certainly, their "generation" interpretation can change every year or so. And if you don't immediately accept the new explanation, you'll be accused of being a Satanic apostate for believing their "truths" from just last month! You're probably frustrated when you ponder whether any anointed will be alive on earth at Armageddon, too. That one has gone back and forth, even in the short time during the last book study of the Revelation--Grand Climax book. Wow, it was so crazy using that Kingdom Ministry insert to try to keep the "spritual food" "current" in that badly aging book. And you certainly would know how often they printed that it was a sign of the end that the remnant was shrinking during these "Last Days". But the number of partakers is increasing at a rate far faster than the number of new publishers. That's the thing about the JW "Last Days", they last... and last... and last... and last! djeggnog, it's understandable that you wouldn't know what those verses in Hebrews were meaning for us today. You've had your head shoved so deeply up the collective Watchtower a$s that you can taste what the GB had for breakfast. Pull your head out of there and take a deep breath of fresh air!

Let me fill you in. Jesus didn't write the book of Hebrews. Jesus didn't write any books. Jesus could have established a publishing empire in the first century complete with multi-language electronic photo-typesetting system. But he didn't. Why? Because it's all a waste of time. The point of Christianity wasn't to publish magazines monthly and books that needed to be replaced every couple of years because their prophecies were false, interpretations flip-flopping more than the entire troupe of Cirque de Soleil. The whole point of Christianity was to end the futility of the written law and replace it with the law of love.

Ah, yes djeggnog, I don't put much stock in the Bible with its flawed history and contradictions. But I do put value in the law of love (Romans 13:8-10). I would suggest that you learn something from Timmy. True Christians, like him, realize that salvation and the message of Jesus wasn't about binding followers under a legalistic written yoke of slavery. Do you really think Jesus is pleased by seeing your self-aggrandizing rants here, and your advocating self-appointed and self-anointed "christs" in Brooklyn? Timmy could certainly school you in the meaning of love. Sadly, it's clear from your posts that "haters gonna hate". Learn from real Christians instead... "lovers gotta love".

But I digress to your question: "I was just reading Hebrews 10:26-31, and was wondering how endurable you think it is going to be for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on Judgment Day. Any ideas?"

First of all, "Sodom and Gomorrah" aren't even mentioned in Hebrews. The phrase "Judgment Day" isn't used in Hebrews either. But the phrase you're missing is this: (Hebrews 10:30) . . .“Jehovah will judge his people.” So, my ideas? Easy, that's not for me to judge. I'm not God and the earth's population, both alive and dead, are not "my people." djeggnog, rather than concerning yourself with how you ought to judge people who may or may not have lived thousands of years ago, you need to take a long, hard look in the mirror, as Jesus wanted us all to do. Why would you concern yourself with how someone else will or will not be judged? After all, Jesus said:

(Matthew 7:1-5) 7 “Stop judging that YOU may not be judged; 2 for with what judgment YOU are judging, YOU will be judged; and with the measure that YOU are measuring out, they will measure out to YOU. 3 Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the rafter in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Allow me to extract the straw from your eye’; when, look! a rafter is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First extract the rafter from your own eye, and then you will see clearly how to extract the straw from your brother’s eye.

Perhaps if you don't want me to use Jesus' words in the gospels, here's another:

(Jude 9) But when Mi′cha?el the archangel had a difference with the Devil and was disputing about Moses’ body, he did not dare to bring a judgment against him in abusive terms, but said: “May Jehovah rebuke you.”

If Michael/Jesus didn't think it was his place to judge the Devil, when did you get promoted to playing judge of people that you've never seen or known?

djeggnog, STOP JUDGING! Why would you concern yourself with stuff about the judgment of Sodom? Is your reference to Sodom some kind of hateful slur against homosexuality? If you're asking this question to try to recruit me to your "hate brigade", forget it.

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Well said Billy.

I believe here Eggnog that your perspective is simply different to mine and Billy's and many others. Its my word versus yours and we are not going to change. We even have differing perspectives on what Jesus said. It is my experience that JWs focus less on what Jesus actually taught and put HUGE emphasis on preaching house to house telling people that they alone have the truth. Thats my perspective. After studying the bible and this organisation, i dont understand it and i dont understand why anyone could read the bible properly and still want to be a part of it. However, what do i know? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and is free to live their lives as they wish. Id rather focus on showing love to others than following man made traditions. Maybe you just dont see it like that. Fair enough. From what I read in the bible, i know i miss the mark many times, as do we all. But im still going to study and do my best for God despite anything. Perhaps you say this is pointless but I just dont believe that.

Timmy x

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Billy the Ex-Bethelite:

If you don't like the fact that Wikipedia is smarter than you, that's no reason to get insulting toward me.

Wikipedia is you, Wikipedia is me, Wikipedia is anyone that wants to contribute to this online resource. The information Wikipedia contains is not 100% reliable, so while much knowledge can be gleaned by exploring its contents, one should verify whatever is found in this resource. In case you didn't know, Wikipedia is not a real encyclopedia. In many ways I'm smarter than Wikipedia, and since you rely on Wikipedia for what things you know about the oral law of the Jews, that would also mean that I'm smarter than you because I would never do that. I think what Jesus said in the Bible in Matthew chapter 5 ("You heard that it was said...") would be a good place to start when referring to the oral law, then the Mishnah, and maybe the Talmud, but, personally, I don't think of Wikipedia as a good resource.

I see that you're very frustrated and continually restating your "you didn't say that Jesus' sacrifice ended the sabbath."

What "frustration"? Your attempt here obviously is to distort what things you wrote, but I'm not having any of it. In a previous response I posted the following, so let me repeat it again since my position has not changed:

Like what exactly? You say Jesus lifted nearly all of the sabbath restrictions, believing the Mosaic Law should be interpreted "more liberally" than the Pharisees had interpreted the Law, but please provide an example of Jesus having lifted any of the sabbath restrictions. I don't believe you can name a single one since Jesus kept the Law; he didn't abrogate it as you are saying here.

You, as a JW, really believe that Jesus' sacrifice didn't end ALL of the sabbath restrictions?!?!?

I am telling you here that I didn't believe you could provide a single example of Jesus ever lifting or abrogating the sabbath, for it would have been different had you written the following:

Jesus often condemned the Pharisees because he believed the Mosaic Law should be interpreted even more liberally, his sacrifice lifting nearly all of the sabbath restrictions.

But, instead, what it was you wrote was this:

You wrote that Jesus had often "condemned the Pharisees because he believed the Mosaic Law should be interpreted even more liberally, lifting nearly all of the sabbath restrictions," but nowhere in this you make any mention whatsoever of "Jesus' sacrifice. So it is disingenuous on your part to now be asking me whether I didn't believe that Jesus' sacrifice had brought to an end "nearly all of the sabbath restrictions," when you made no mention of Jesus' sacrifice until I called you on what you had said. Again, just to emphasize the point you keep conveniently missing, you wrote:

-- in which you totally omit any mention of Jesus' sacrifice, and you now seek to distort what it was you actually did write by pretending as if you had written instead the following:

So what do you go on to do after I brought this to your attention? You obfuscate the fact that I had just outted your statement and say the following:

I'd like to see an example -- just one would be sufficient -- of Jesus rebuking someone for not properly observing a sabbath rule!!!

-- which is totally irrelevant to the points I was making: (1) Jesus didn't believe the Mosaic Law should be interpreted "even more liberally," and (2) that Jesus didn't lift "nearly all of the sabbath restrictions," for Jesus was "under law" (Galatians 4:4) even as were the rest of the Jews, and he never abrogated any portion of the law. Jesus kept the law. After Jesus' sacrifice, however, the Law of Moses, including the requirement to observe a weekly sabbath, came to an end. But you were not discussing after Jesus' sacrifice, as you went on in your first response and in this last one as well, to pretend to have done, for Jesus had condemned the Pharisees before his sacrifice when he was "under law."

After Jesus' sacrifice, however, the law was no longer binding upon Jesus -- he had died as a man -- and was no longer binding upon anyone. You might go and try to deceive someone else, and might succeed, but how can you expect to fool me when I know you to be dishonest? Give it up, son. Like I told you in a previous message, you lost this one, @BillyEB.

Certainly, their "generation" interpretation can change every year or so. And if you don't immediately accept the new explanation, you'll be accused of being a Satanic apostate for believing their "truths" from just last month! You're probably frustrated when you ponder whether any anointed will be alive on earth at Armageddon, too. That one has gone back and forth, even in the short time during the last book study of the Revelation--Grand Climax book. Wow, it was so crazy using that Kingdom Ministry insert to try to keep the "[spiritual] food" "current" in that badly aging book. And you certainly would know how often they printed that it was a sign of the end that the remnant was shrinking during these "Last Days". But the number of partakers is increasing at a rate far faster than the number of new publishers. That's the thing about the JW "Last Days", they last... and last... and last... and last!

What one would find in our publications, like the Revelation book and in "Our Kingdom Ministry," is designed to keep all Jehovah's Witnesses current since our beliefs are progressive, and it is difficult to keep up with the many adjustments to our understanding of the Scriptures that we have had need to make over the years. We are not concerned with statistics of a shrinking remnant that now seems to be growing. It is clear to many of us that some are partaking of the emblems that should not be doing so, and this might explain the number of partakers counted, but it would be dishonest to not report the count just because we might not agree with it, so we observe and report. So, @BillyEB, you are mistaken: The count is not a source of frustration for me, but why do you mention these things in someone else's thread? You're off-topic.

Clearly you take issue with many of the things that Jehovah's Witnesses teach, even though you seem to pick-and-choose which things you learned during your association with Jehovah's Witnesses that you are going to accept. Reading your message is not like reading something written by someone in Christendom, for you phrase things in a way that is peculiar to something you would have read in one of our publications, so that you sound as if you could be one of Jehovah's Witnesses, except Jehovah's Witnesses speak in agreement and do not pick-and-choose what things they are going to accept. You may not like this, but our beliefs are not static, but are progressive, and so they are subject to change should it become apparent that we were mistaken in one of more of our beliefs.

We are just not going to get all upset because we suddenly realize that we had something wrong, but we will immediately publish the adjustments that need to be made in our understanding of Bible doctrines so that everyone in the entire association of brothers in the world is made aware of the adjustment that needs to be made in what we teach. Your mention here of the change in understanding that occurred in 2010 regarding Jesus' use of the words "this generation" at Matthew 24:34, which expression has perplexed us for many years going back to the days of Judge Rutherford, is off-topic, but I suppose you thought your mention of superfluous topics, such as how Jehovah's Witnesses understand this expression, would make you come off smarter. (It didn't.)

Now if this was your goal, @BillyEB, I'm pretty sure that this goal wasn't reached and that it cannot possibly be reached in this way. If the goal of this approach of yours was to be thought of as being more intelligent than you are, then I must tell you that this approach makes you come off to me as being unsteady, even demented, and so, in my opinion, you missed. The truth is, you come off here as rather foolish to me, but since you brought all of this up, I should probably complete my thought since you have here brought an attack on how Jehovah's Witnesses understand the expression used by Jesus at Matthew 24:34.

Today we believe Jesus to have been referring to the generation of the composite sign that began with the outbreak of World War I in 1914 in fulfillment of Matthew 24:3, 7, 8. This expression, "this generation," covers the period when the sign began and when it ends, so it became clear to us back in 2010, after some 96 years had passed, that Jesus may not have been referring to anyone's lifetime as we had once thought, but to an entire period of years.

Rutherford passed away leaving Jehovah's Witnesses with an understanding of what Jesus meant by "this generation" at Matthew 24:34 that was different than what Jehovah's Witnesses today now believe Jesus to have meant by this phrase. Because Jesus himself didn't know the "day and hour," and because it was never our intent to mislead anyone, it was decided to change the masthead that last appeared in the Awake! dated November 8, 1995, from "Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away," to what subsequently appeared in the masthead of the Awake! dated November 22, 1995, to wit, "Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things."

Because we cannot be 100% certain as to what Jesus meant, and, again, it was not our intention to mislead anyone and give anyone an excuse to find fault with our ministry, we went on to undertake a further examination of this expression at Matthew 24:34. In Rutherford's day, Jehovah's Witnesses believed Jesus was referring to the lifetime of people when he referred to "this generation." Today, we now know that this was a mistaken viewpoint.

The masthead in the Awake! dated November 8, 1995, proved to have unintentionally misled some into believing that, contrary to what the Bible teaches, we actually did know the "day and hour" for it read, "Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away," and based on how we understood Jesus' words at Matthew 24:34, many regretfully concluded that Armageddon would have to arrive before the oldest of Jesus' anointed servants had passed away.

Today, that masthead reads, "Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things." The masthead in the Awake! wasn't designed to deceive anyone, but was designed to build confidence that the end is near, and not to make folks grab their date calculators as if, contrary to what Jesus stated at Matthew 24:36, it were possible for one to determine the "day and hour" that Jesus himself didn't know.

I should add here that the only significant change between the viewpoint of Jehovah's Witnesses today and what it was back in 1952 is that we have now come to realize that the "generation" to which Jesus referred at Matthew 24:34 referred to the period of time that spanned the length of the sign of Christ's presence, which generation began in 1914. Our understanding of this expression, "this generation," is explained in the article entitled, "Holy Spirit's Role in the Outworking of Jehovah's Purpose" [w10 4/15, p. 10, ¶14], which differs from the explanation provided in response to the question, "Your publications point out that the battle of Armageddon will come in this generation, and that this generation began A.D. 1914. Scripturally, how long is a generation?" [w52 9/1, pp. 542, 543]:

Three or even four generations may be living at the same time, their lives overlapping.... [W]e could not calculate from such a figure the date of Armageddon, for the texts here under discussion do not say God’s battle comes right at the end of this generation, but before its end. To try to say how many years before its end would be speculative. The texts merely set a limit....

Since we realize that Jesus had employed a bit of hyperbole in this verse, we now believe that Jesus' reference to "this generation" referred to the sign of his invisible presence during which his anointed brothers living contemporaneous to this generation of the sign. We cannot be dogmatic about this matter, but we are now of the belief that those of Jesus' brothers that were living when the generation of the sign began in the year 1914 as well as those of his brothers that are alive when the generation of the sign ends when Armageddon arrives is what Jesus meant when he said that "this generation" would not pass away before all of the things that Jesus indicated would occur in his prophesy about the conclusion of this system of things had taken place.

Interpreting the Bible isn't an exact science, and for this reason, we must discern what the Scriptures mean based on what other Scriptures say or according to how certain related expressions are used in the Bible. Just as the Bible points out at 1 Peter 1:10, 11, the prophets of old made a "diligent inquiry" and "careful search" of the Scriptures and "kept on investigating" as to what particular season or what sort of season] the spirit in them spoke concerning Christ, and just as occurred among God's people during the first century during the days of the apostles, so the same investigation has taken place among God's people today.

This means that while you, @Mary and @TimothyT may have once aligned your beliefs with those held by Jehovah's Witnesses, it has always been possible that the three of you would abandon those beliefs for whatever reason and embrace other beliefs, which is fine. But why should Jehovah's Witnesses abandon their beliefs just because the three of you here on JWN, and others on here as well, may have abandoned them? It is your right to believe what you choose to believe and each one of Jehovah's Witnesses exercise their respective rights to believe what it is they choose to believe.

@djeggnog wrote:

You sound bitter, but I don't understand why the bitterness or how you are able to make this connection [that Judge Rutherford hated children], but I'm just curious as to how you would answer this question: I was just reading Hebrews 10:26-31, and was wondering how endurable you think it is going to be for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on Judgment Day. Any ideas?

@Billy the Ex-Bethelite wrote:

Since you asked so nicely, I'll enlighten you. The reason for your confusion is obvious. No doubt you are looking for assistance from me because Watchtower has flip-flopped so often on whether the residents of Sodom and Gomorrah will be resurrected. Right now [they're] choosing to ignore Jesus' words at Matt. 11:23, suggesting that they would be worthy of resurrection. But Jesus was just the Messiah, so WT doesn't give much weight to his words. After searching your WT Library CD, you probably can't tell up from down on the judgment of Sodom. Currently, WT [teaches] that those destroyed at Sodom will not be resurrected. Problem is, just when you think you can trust WT teachings, they flip-flop again.

But I [digressed].... [¶] First of all, "Sodom and Gomorrah" aren't even mentioned in Hebrews. The phrase "Judgment Day" isn't used in Hebrews either.... STOP JUDGING! Why would you concern yourself with stuff about the judgment of Sodom? Is your reference to Sodom some kind of hateful slur against homosexuality?

I don't need the WT Library CD to know the finality of God's judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah. What you would call a "flip-flop" was in my mind an adjustment in our understanding as to which it was determined that we had been mistaken in our viewpoint on the matter of what it was Jesus meant in what he said to the people of Capernaum at Matthew 11:23, 24.

The point you missed is that Jesus was saying is that if the powerful works that had taken place in Capernaum had taken place in the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, the people in those cities would have repented of their sins and would not have been destroyed forever, as was also going to be Capernaum's judgment, for those people would surely have repented.

You are entitled to interpret what you read in the Bible in any way you wish, but you aren't entitled to make up your own facts; your employing spin as you do to manufacture facts won't convert spin into facts. I told you that I had been reading Hebrews 10:26-31 and wondered 'how endurable you thought it is going to be for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on Judgment Day,' did I not? I didn't say that the phrase Judgment Day is used in the book of Hebrews, did I? I didn't say that the cities of Sodom or Gomorrah were mentioned in the book of Hebrews, did I? I don't care what strawmen you construct, nor do I care to explain to you why I had asked you what your thoughts were. If you feel I had made a "hateful slur against homosexuality," ok. I have no desire to argue with you about your fecklessness, but it is clear to me that you're not very smart. You see, what I said to you was said tongue-in-cheek.

You evidently thought that I had asked you a question, thought that I needed or wanted your assistance, but, no, there was no question in my mind at all. Please take a moment to wrap your mind around this, son: What I was really saying to that you, @BillyEB, you probably have as much chance of being around on Judgment Day as Jesus indicated the people of Sodom and Gomorrah and Capernaum had. You might want to get a pencil and write this down so that you will remember the point: I was making a statement about what I think to be your future, a future like that of these three cities. I wasn't judging you, for as Jesus stated at John 3:18, you have been "judged already."

If Michael/Jesus didn't think it was his place to judge the Devil....

It occurred to me that only Jehovah's Witnesses (and Seventh Day Adventists) associate the archangel Michael with the Lord Jesus Christ. If you aren't a Seventh Day Adventists, then when you left God's organization, I wondered why you didn't just erase this teaching about Michael and Jesus from your mind, why you would hold on to a doctrine that is taught by Jehovah's Witnesses that the majority of mainstream Christendom doesn't believe since you don't subscribe to our beliefs. I've often wondered why folks that have left our ranks would be found articulating beliefs that he or she claimed to have rejected. This is a curiosity to me since I often see folks here on JWN using the kind of reasoning that they would use to use when they were actively Jehovah's Witnesses when discussing the Bible on here while they claim, at the same time, to have abandoned their faith. It seems in your case, @BillyEB, that the beliefs that you held formerly weren't really rejected at all. This Michael-Jesus dichotomy did cause me to wonder, if you aren't with the Seventh Day Adventists, with what religion you were now affiliated.

@djeggnog

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I see that you're still unable to provide even one example of where Jesus rebuked someone for not properly observing the sabbath. Congratulations on your "victorious" loss and failure to support your beliefs.

And you're still ignoring the account in Luke 6 where Jesus was advocating activities that were against the sabbath restrictions. There's also the account in John 5 that you'll need to ignore, among others. Jesus wasn't nearly as hung up on observing sabbath restrictions as you pretend that he was. You are clearly picking-and-choosing the parts of the gospel that you want to believe.

djeggnog: "...you seem to pick-and-choose which things you learned during your association with Jehovah's Witnesses that you are going to accept.... Jehovah's Witnesses speak in agreement and do not pick-and-choose what things they are going to accept."

Kind of like how you pick-and-choose to post to Internet forums that include "apostates" when Watchtower says not to do such things? You've clearly established your reputation as a "picker-and-chooser." I love the way that you defend your disobedience to Watchtower direction by saying that Simon allows you to post. So, by all means continue your course of picking-and-choosing because you get your permission from us "apostates".

It is understandable that you're very sensative about the "this generation" subject. I mention the word once in a short sentence and you respond using the word 21 times in paragraph after paragraph with a snowjob trying to bury the decades of false prophecies coming off of Watchtower printing presses. You're pain is very easy to see. I'm kind of glad that I didn't mention their flip-flops on blood/fraction doctrine, since that might have caused you to completely blow all your gaskets. I understand your frustration with the "progressive", yet contradictory, interpretations that Jehovah's Witnesses force you to believe. You must be completely exhausted after chasing your tail trying to justify their failed prophecies regarding 1914. Just an FYI, be sure to modify the wording in your Reasoning book and Insight volumes at the appropriate places. Watchtower is still printing a lot of their old light. They flip-flop so often that even they can't keep up with their outdated teachings that need to be replaced because the words would be considered apostate.

Clearly, you're still troubled and struggling with interpretations about the judgment of Sodom and Gomorrah. I'm sorry that you're dissatisfied with the response that I gave you from the WT CD. Perhaps if you wrote a letter to Bethel asking them to clarify the matter you would get a reply in a couple of years. Don't be discouraged that it would take that long for them to respond, they're in no hurry. After all, it's not like they believe that Armageddon is coming anytime soon.

You're right that you shouldn't hijack Timmy's thread with your spiritual confusion about "this generation", "Sodom", the "Michael-Jesus dichotomy", and what religious affiliation I would now claim. Back on topic...

@Timmy

" Reflect on the contrast between Jesus’ teaching and that of the governing body. Do you see ways in which they could improve? If so, why do they not resolve to do so? "

Timmy, since Jesus never had to keep flip-flopping and changing his teachings over the past 2000 years, the GB really should be honest about their "progressive" teachings as djeggnog has pointed out. They claim to be "guided" by God's spirit and "God's channel", yet when they're caught in a false prophecy, they say they're "imperfect men" with "new light." Well, rather than putting publication dates on their books, brochures, and magazines, Watchtower should put expiration dates on all their literature. Instead of putting out a "current" Watchtower with the date March 15, 2012, they should stamp "Expiration Date: 3/15/2013".

Unfortunately, they won't do that because it would be too obvious and nobody would take them seriously anymore as "God's channel." It would be more honest, but honesty isn't Watchtower Corporation's best policy.

At least it is helpful that they're now distributing cheap paperback books that might fall apart around the same time as they have to change Watchtower teachings to disregard things like the King of the North and the destruction of Babylon the Great. Watchtower switched to cheap fall-apart books once they finally realized that Russell should have made Studies in the Scriptures of lower quality so that those things could have fallen apart around 1914. Even djeggnog would agree that their magazine masthead should be in disappearing ink so that embarassing false prophecies would just vanish after a couple of years... maybe it should just be months after printing that the ink would last and then just disappear.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Billy the Ex-Bethelite:

I see that you're still unable to provide even one example of where Jesus rebuked someone for not properly observing the sabbath.

I have given short shrift to your request. This isn't your thread; it's @TimothyT's thread, and both your posts and @Mary's in this thread have been largely off-topic.

@djeggnog wrote:

Clearly you take issue with many of the things that Jehovah's Witnesses teach, even though you seem to pick-and-choose which things you learned during your association with Jehovah's Witnesses that you are going to accept.

@Billy the Ex-Bethelite wrote:

Kind of like how you pick-and-choose to post to Internet forums that include "apostates" when Watchtower says not to do such things?

No. You don't agree with things you came to learn as one of Jehovah's Witnesses and yet you continue to believe many of those things, which doesn't sound to me like you've made a clean break. This was the point I was making. I know you have difficulty comprehending what I say to you here, but in Jehovah's organization, there are no laws. Jehovah's Witnesses are admonished at the meetings and through the literature we publish as to what things could pose real dangers to our spirituality, but there is no law that Jehovah's Witnesses should not post to Internet forums like this one. This is a myth since no Christian should let someone else's conscience dictate their freedom. I made this same point earlier in this thread so I feel no need to repeat it here.

Perhaps you are just too immature to understand what I am saying here, @BillyEB -- and @Mary said pretty much the same thing -- but this is the point I'd make: If you believe that you should not post to any website and yet you do so anyway, then that's a problem, and it is your problem alone, not mine. And needless to say, but I'm going to say it anyway, you're off-topic again.

It is understandable that you're very [sensitive] about the "this generation" subject....

You still are off-topic, @BillyEB. For some reason, you keep ignoring Rule 10 "Posting an off-topic comment." @Mary did as well when she decided she wanted to use the OP's thread to refer to an older thread started by @jgnat to ask me questions about blood fractions that turned into a discussion about the efficacy of blood transfusions, and @Mary also raised a question here as to whether or not I was counting the time I spent here.

Since in this thread @TimothyT raised as the topic the "stupid petty rules" that he believes makes the elders in Jehovah's organization "like the [P]harisees," the exchange you and I had about the "Oral Law" was appropriate, but when you started in on me as to the whys of our teaching on "this generation" or pretended as if you had said something other than that Jesus often condemned the Pharisees and lifted "nearly all of the sabbath restrictions" when you didn't, and also went on to disparage Judge Rutherford for hating kids, or took a tongue-in-cheek parting shot of mine about Sodom and Gomorrah as an excuse to discuss the "Michael-Jesus dichotomy," you were off-topic.

Even djeggnog would agree that their magazine masthead should be in disappearing ink so that [embarrassing] false prophecies would just vanish after a couple of years....

Jehovah's Witnesses have never made any false prophecies, not one. I felt I should respond to this statement of yours, but you are off-topic.

If you were to start a thread of your own to discuss what things with which you disagree that Jehovah's Witnesses teach, it's possible that I might not join such a thread since you and @Mary both have proven yourselves to be dishonest brokers in that you cannot be trusted to admit when you have misspoken, and @Mary cannot be trusted to not be honest when quoting something in support of one of her contentions as she went out of her to exclude relevant portions from something she quoted in order to mislead others.

You often mention the WT Library CD in some of your posts and it seems you love talking about this CD, but I've been one of Jehovah's Witnesses much longer than the release of the IBM PC, even before IBM released the MT/ST, during the days when the mainframe ruled, a time when we would have to order the Watchtower and Awake! magazines as bound volumes! I don't really need to hear anything at all about the WT Library CD. Like you, I also use computers, but my brain is a much better and more useful resource than any computer. I wish you were honest in your posts, but for whatever reason, you choose to be dishonest, so I will probably be having very little, if at all, to say to you and @Mary in the future because I do not trust either of you to be honest.

Maybe you think you're smarter than I am with respect to what knowledge you have of the Bible, but I've read many of yours posts on JWN, and if this is what you think, then, @BillyEB, you've got another think coming. I just don't want to take the time to point out where your understanding of matters could use a tweak. My agenda on JWN is too important to spend any time really fielding your gripes against the Society, especially when you are more than capable of writing a letter about your gripes to the Society.

@djeggnog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit