Latest Watchtower page 30... They have some nerve to put this!

by TimothyT 100 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mary
    Mary
    Numbnuts Egghead said: Jehovah's Witnesses do not refuse to stand for the National Anthem, for that would be disrespectful for any US citizen to do

"...When national anthems are played, usually all a person has to do to show that he shares the sentiments of the song is to stand up. In such cases, Christians remain seated."----- September 15, 2002 Watchtower p. 24

"....Another test came at school. World War II had not long ended, and nationalism in Australia was still strong. My sister Ellerie and I would remain seated during school assembly when the national anthem was played."-----May 1, 1990 Watchtower p. 11

"...Standing while the national anthem is played carries with it a significance similar to saluting the flag. In fact, the flag is frequently displayed when the anthem is played, so that, to Jehovah's witnesses, participation in one ceremony would be comparable to participation in the other."-----November 15, 1962 Watchtower p. 701

Once again egghead, your stupidity and ignorance shines through as apparently you don't even know what the hell it is you're following.

You also claim to have heard most often when you were a child that Jehovah's Witnesses 'let their children die rather than take a blood transfusion'? I don't believe you. You may have heard as a child what the position of Jehovah's Witnesses was with respect to blood transfusions, but I don't believe as a child you could have understood it very well or that as a child you could have explained our position to anyone.

Ah yes, that's right. When you have nothing to fall back on, I must be a liar right? Is English your second language? Or your third? I already explained how and why I knew what the blood doctrine entailed as the subject came up time and time again when my sister needed surgery. It's not too difficult to comprehend when you hear the elders talking to your parents about it and when you hear them say how they 'must remain faithful to Jehovah's Organization' if and when the subject of blood came up during one of my sisters' many surgeries and how even if she died, it would only be a few years before my parents saw her again because The End was coming in 1975.

So please don't try and tell me what I could and I could not understand as a child you moron, because you haven't a frigging clue what you're talking about.

There is no "baby" that has ever needed a blood transfusion.

Yet another mindless comment from a retard who doesn't apparently can't read. No baby has ever need a blood transfusion eh? http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/01/31/bc-sextuplets.html

Is that so? Did @jgnat grind me to death on the subject of eating blood?

Actually, we all contributed to it and you were left looking like the fool that you are. Oh well.....I hope you're counting the time you spend on this apostate website as time on your Field Serve-Us Report. We're probably the closest thing to a friend you actually have.

• Razziel
    Razziel

I'm glad some of you have the patience to respond to posters like this. I don't. 10,000 years ago, if I were the leader of a tribe, I'd try to explain things a couple of times to the village idiot, then he'd get run out of the village with the idiot stick and exiled.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

@DJHolidayNog - No, I didn't actually read all of your posts, I just did a search for my name. And in case you didn't notice my post was specifically addressed to Timmy. But under the remote chance that your name is Timmy and you got confused, I'll respond...

How so, @Billy the Ex-Bethelite? I'd like to see an example -- just one would be sufficient -- of a rule imposed by the Pharisees that made the Mosaic Law more "tolerable" for the Jews as you just suggested here.

Haha, it's hard to stop at one. But I'll give you a really easy one. Imagine you are driving your car and accidently strike a bicyclist. The cyclist loses an eye in the accident. We know the Mosaic Law says "an eye for an eye" no "ifs", "ands", or "buts"! Get ready to have your eye gouged out DJ!... Well, unless your judge happens to be a Pharisee rather than a Sadducee...

An example of this differing approach is the interpretation of, "an eye in place of an eye". The Pharisaic understanding was that the value of an eye was to be paid by the perpetrator. [14] In the Sadducees' view the words were given a more literal interpretation, in which the offender's eye would be removed. [15]

The Sadducees, like you, would have scorned any "pharisaic interpretation". Instead, taking the Law literally, your eye gets removed. The Pharisees and their "Oral Law" said that you would have to pay financial damages to the injured person. You would get to keep your eye... but I guess you'd be disappointed, eh? It would be more "tolerable" for you to get your eye gouged out and you could keep your money, eh?

So there's one example. If you'd take off your Watchtower Blinders and actually take a look at Jewish history, you'd easily find that the oral law was full of such examples. Maybe if you'd actually read more than you type, you wouldn't keep foolishly rattling off nonsense and insults in your posts, eh?

Like what exactly? You say Jesus lifted nearly all of the sabbath restrictions, believing the Mosaic Law should be interpreted "more liberally" than the Pharisees had interpreted the Law, but please provide an example of Jesus having lifted any of the sabbath restrictions. I don't believe you can name a single one since Jesus kept the Law; he didn't abrogate it as you are saying here.

Okay, back at you... I'd like to see an example -- just one would be sufficient -- of Jesus rebuking someone for not properly observing a sabbath rule!!! During Jesus ministry he did healing "work" on the sabbath and his disciples plucked heads of grain on the sabbath. Jesus never denied that either were work. Rather, he justified these "works". He didn't criticize owners for watering and feeding livestock, or rescuing an animal during the sabbath. Regarding the Sabbath, he never spoke of any work restrictions like the Pharisees. Most importantly, he encouraged teaching, learning, and performing good deeds on the Sabbath... the only "Sabbath restriction" loving Christians keep. I'm not going to tell good Christians to stop doing good deeds, but evidently you would probably tell them to stop!

And in case you didn't realize this... and this is probably gonna be a huge shocker for you...

Christian followers of Jesus are not obeying sabbath restrictions today!

You, as a JW, really believe that Jesus' sacrifice didn't end ALL of the sabbath restrictions?!?!? Yes, he most certainly did "abrogate" the Law! He didn't "destroy" the Law, instead he stuck it in the "Jewish Museum of Antique Stone Age Curiousities". All those Mosaic Law restrictions and the details decided by the Pharisees... "POOF"... all gone! The law and its myriad bit of code all ENDED! Seriously, if you think Jesus didn't abrogate all the sabbath laws and you think the Jewish Laws should still be observed, you're more than an apostate... YOU ARE THE ANTI-CHRIST!!!

Wow, I hope keeping the Sabbath is working for you! Enjoy!

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@TimothyT:

Do you know... i cant be bothered....

However i will give you one of the [discrepancies]. As quoted above there is a huge difference between John 3:16 and many other verses in John regarding Jesus as the means of salvation, compared to this quote from the Watchtower: "To receive everlasting life in the earthly Paradise we must identify that organization and serve God as part of it." Watchtower 1983 Feb 15 p.12. A BIG difference there!

Somehow I knew this already, that you couldn't be bothered. I did know that you were just blowing smoke at me, that you wouldn't be able to answer either those first two questions I had asked you in my previous message, nor the third one.

You may have once been one of Jehovah's Witnesses, but there are only perhaps about a third of us who are really what we claim to be, witnesses of Jehovah, because there are perhaps only a third of us that have read and studied God's word -- both the "Old Testament" and the "New Testament" -- which gives us a "leg up" on those in Christendom who are just like you, @TimothyT, confident that they have the formula for salvation "down," confident that they fully understand what scriptures like John 14:6 and John 3:16 mean, confident that by knowing what a few scriptures say that they like will merit and obtain everlasting life. At John 14:6, Jesus says, "I am the way...," and you know this scripture, but you don't know what "the way" is, do you?

At John 3:16, Jesus says that God gave his son so that "everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed," but how can you possibly put faith in someone you don't know? In the Bible at Acts 8:27-39, we read about a man that had been reading from the "Old Testament," reading from Isaiah 53:7, 8, which is a passage that refers to the same Jesus in whom we must exercise faith to be saved, and we read in this passage that "starting with this Scripture" Philip began to declare the good news about Jesus in order that the man might begin to exercise faith in Jesus' name by getting baptized, since until then, he didn't know a thing about Jesus or the proper applicable of Isaiah 53:7, 8.

This man told Philip that he would never have understood what he was reading "unless someone guided" him and that is why today Jehovah's Witnesses will start with the scriptures that people know -- like John 3:16 or John 14:6 -- and begin to declare the good news about Jesus since they are just like you, people that don't really know Jesus at all -- some of them thinking that Jesus is God, because that is what they were taught -- as we seek to help folks begin exercising faith in Jesus' name by getting baptized, so that they, like John 3:16 says, "might not be destroyed, but have everlasting life." Many of these people were baptized without their being properly guided by anyone that took the time to explain to them what the good news about Jesus is, in order that they might learn who Jesus is and what it means to exercise faith in his name -- they think that Jesus' "name" is Jesus, when the good news about Jesus isn't referring to Jesus' personal name at all! -- and begin exercising faith in Jesus' name by getting baptized.

At Acts 16:25-34, a jailer asked Paul and Silas, "What must I do to get saved?" and he was told that if he and his household would "believe on the Lord Jesus," they would get saved, and they went on to speak "the word of Jehovah" to them and they, each one of them, thereupon began to exercise faith in Jesus' name by getting baptized. Jehovah's Witnesses do not baptize anyone without our first teaching the person what the good news about Jesus is all about, so that they know that in order for them to begin exercising faith in Jesus' name, they must get baptized.

In your 495th post in another thread, I recall your declaration of "how lovely it is to be gay and free," but as long as you are pursuing fleshly desires, how can you possibly believe you are free? In one of the gospels you claim to have read, at John 8:34, Jesus said that "every doer of sin is a slave of sin," so how in the world did you come to conclude that John 3:16 affords you a better outcome than destruction? What if you -- a baptized servant of God that thinks he can also serve yet another master, sin, and be saved -- should die? Do you really think for a moment that your baptism will save you, that your baptism and having committed to memory John 3:16 and John 14:6 will merit Jesus' resurrecting you from your grave during Judgment Day? Really?!?

It's ok for you to be gay, but what is not ok is for a servant of God to be practicing sin. I don't know if you are a "top," a "bottom" or a "sideways," but my hope is that you are celibate, for if you should have a lover and you even marry the person, you would still not be free, because "every doer of sin is a slave of sin," according to Jesus. Being gay may not be a choice, but deciding to have sexual relations with someone to whom you're not married constitutes fornication and that is a choice.

As the years pass, and your flesh has begun to wrinkle and otherwise lose that vitality it once had when you were younger, when your body begins to do things it has never done before, you're going to want to know that your celibate lover is right by your side, and committed to you "in sickness" and "for worse." Infidelity is a plague on gay couples so if he should decide to leave you all alone to fend for yourself, especially if through unfaithfulness during your "marriage," his cruising leads to a sexual liaison with someone else so that he also leaves you to have to deal with diseases associated with oral sex (like chronic Hepatitis B, cytomegalovirus, genital herpes, genital warts, Herpes simplex, HIV/AIDS, pubic lice or scabies) and/or diseases associated with anal sex (like amoebiasis, cryptosporidiosis, E. coli infections, giardiasis, gonorrhea, granuloma inguinale, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis C, human papilloma virus (HPV), Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpes virus (HHV-8), lymphogranuloma venereum, syphilis, trichomoniasis, salmonellosis, shigella and tuberculosis). Sin doesn't love anyone. Sin and death have been working their will on mankind since the beginning, and Jesus has been given the power to stop these "fiends."

You claim to have read the gospels, and I believe that you have read them, but when I referred you to Matthew's gospel -- to the passage at Matthew 12:1-4 -- you were out of your depth and were as completely clueless as those Christians associated with Christendom's churches would be over the point that Jesus had made there when he spoke to the Pharisees. Is it not permissible to perform good works on the sabbath? I have done a good work toward you, @TimothyT, and today is not a sabbath day, a work that you do not appreciate, but I've done it anyway.

I hope you found me to be engaging here, for I just wanted to try to make you understand how inadequate you are spiritually when you are exchanging posts with a spiritual man, to demonstrate to you what it really means to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses, to let you know what it means to be a part of that "third" that exudes a confidence that is often mistaken for arrogance, hoping that by all of my questions here you would appreciate that it isn't all that simple for any of us to gain life. It's a narrow door, Jesus said, and one must struggle to get though it; it's not as easy as committing to memory two scriptures and you're through. I know more than two and yet the door's still narrow, and I'm still struggling to get through it myself, so what good can knowing two scriptures do to get you through that door when you don't even know them very well?

As to that comment you made about identifying God's organization and serving God as a "part" of that organization being contradictory to how you understand John 3:16, what can I say? God has always dealt with man through one group, not many different groups either, just one group, first it was through the nation of Israel to whom he gave his law, and then through the Christian congregation to whom God entrusted to his son, Jesus Christ.

Just as the nation of Israel had been organized to worship God, likewise the Christian congregation has been organized to worship God, no one doing their own thing, but the congregation as one group considering one another to incite to love and fine works, and not forsaking the gathering of themselves together as a united body worshipping God with spirit and truth.

This is what John 3:16 means by "exercising faith" in Jesus' name, since preaching the word is our solemn charge before God and Christ Jesus.

@djeggnog wrote:

If you know that Jehovah's Witnesses have the truth, why not let yourself be wronged and keep on serving Jehovah?

@keyser soze wrote:

I don't know where you got this idea from. I don't know that they have the truth. In fact, I know the opposite to be true.

Ok.

@djeggnog wrote:

Maybe you will discover that you have been wrong in painting every one of the elders with the same brush....

@keyser soze wrote:

I haven't painted anyone, with any brush. You obviously missed my point. I don't believe that all elders are corrupt. In fact, I will concede that the majority of the ones that I dealt with personally were good men, doing thankless jobs.

Ok.

But whether an elder is good or bad, right or wrong, the congregation is at their mercy, subject to their whims. This is the power that has been granted them by the FDS. If an elder decides that something is a rule, such as the way disfellowshipped ones should be treated, then it is a rule.

And for the record, you are being rather disingenuous in implying that it is only a handful of elders who take such a hardline stance with regards to the disfellowshipped. It is far more than that. It is the majority. You know it as well as I do.

@djeggnog wrote:

I think you should hold your ground and write a letter about the matter to the branch, but what do I know?

@keyser soze wrote:

LOL. Yeah, I should do that....

Putting the onus squarely on the wronged, and their seeming lack of faith, is far easier than acknowledging that many of the men they select to take the lead are incompetent, or power-hungry jackasses, who, despite what the WT itself says, are neither appointed, nor guided, by holy spirit.

Ok.

@djeggnog wrote:

You say that you heard these things said about our refusal to stand for the National Anthem from the folks at whose doors you knocked on "Saturday mornings"? Jehovah's Witnesses do not refuse to stand for the National Anthem, for that would be disrespectful for any US citizen to do, and if you were told as a child when you were attending school by either your parents or by someone else that you should not stand for the National Anthem, you were given some bad advice and taking such a position no doubt unnecessarily annoyed and aggravated people that thought what you were doing to be disrespectful to them and to the country.

@Mary wrote:

Once again egghead, your stupidity and ignorance shines through as apparently you don't even know what the hell it is you're following.

When you read something in one of our publications, a suggestion, an experience, some admonition such as would appear in a Watchtower article, you are not reading the Bible, and nothing you read in our publications is inspired or should be regarded as a substitute for God's word. Nothing. What someone else might decide to do in a particular circumstances may not be what someone else elects to do under that same circumstance because one's conscience may permit one to do things that another's conscience may not.

Now you are a dishonest person, @Mary, because you quoted something from an article entitled "Salvation Belongs to Jehovah" that appeared on page 24 of the Watchtower, dated September 15, 2002, which was taken from a brochure called "School and Jehovah's Witnesses, that was released at the Kingdom Unity District Convention back in 1983. To make your point, you quoted only a small portion from the article, no doubt thinking that by selectively quoting from the article, no one would realize you have testicles the size of a bull's (and I'm pretty sure, @Mary, that Jesus would have appreciated my use of this metaphor in describing such daring on your part):

"...When national anthems are played, usually all a person has to do to show that he shares the sentiments of the song is to stand up. In such cases, Christians remain seated."----- September 15, 2002 Watchtower p. 24

Now above, you characterized me as being 'stupid and ignorant,' but just your thinking that you could actually get away with this stunt doesn't make you come off as being all that bright to me. At least now I know "what you're working with," as they say.

You see, Jehovah's Witnesses are taught to follow their consciences, and I follow my conscience, not someone else's, which is something that you evidently never learned to do, as you no doubt just followed along in doing what things you were told to do by your parents and by others, never using your own mind to think about what things you did and why you did them, never really appreciating what Christian neutrality means and what it requires of a Christian.

In my previous message, I asked you, @Mary, about a piece you had quoted from the Kingdom Ministry, and I asked you if "upon your reading this piece, you [concluded] that you should do to your mother what this man did to his mother because this is what he did" in shunning your mother? I then asked you "[o]n what basis would you do something like this to your own mother?" You didn't answer me, but here's the point I was making then and now:

What you might read in the Watchtower or in any of our publications might be talking to you and might not be talking to you, depending upon your own conscience. Hebrew 5:14 talks about our having our "perceptive powers [being] trained to distinguish both right and wrong." 1 Corinthians 10:20 talks asks the question, "why should it be that [our] freedom is judged by another person's conscience?" Why get all upset with the elders and their "rules"? They are only trying to help, but what they interpret one way may not apply equally to you, and they wouldn't know what is applicable to you, but you would.

Why make a fuss over petty things as many of you did that ended up with many of you getting expelled and shunned? Jehovah's Witnesses must learn and are learning now how to get along with others, for bitching and moaning with the elders, whose personalities and idiosyncracies and manner rub you the wrong way, and griping all "disgruntedly" against the governing body -- people you really do not know -- are the kinds of things that we have to learn how not to do. Try to get the sense of what it is I am saying here and consider coming back to Jehovah's organization before it becomes too late for you to do so.

Here's the entire quote taken from the brochure and from the Watchtower you cited that quotes from this brochure, and I would like both you and the lurkers to please take note of those portions that I've highlighted in red:

"So then, while others salute and pledge allegiance, our children stand quietly during the flag salute ceremony. But if, for some reason, the flag ceremony is conducted in such a way that simply standing gives evidence of one’s participation in the ceremony, our young ones remain seated....

When national anthems are played, usually all that a person has to do to show that he shares the sentiments of the song is to stand up. In such cases, Witness youths remain seated. However, if our youths are already standing when the national anthem is played, they would not have to take the special action of sitting down; it is not as though they had specifically stood up for the anthem. On the other hand, if a group are expected to stand and sing, then our young people may rise and stand out of respect. But they would show that they do not share the sentiments of the song by refraining from singing."

School and Jehovah's Witnesses (1983), "Flag Salute, Anthems and Voting," pp. 15, 16.

@Mary wrote:

It's viewed with such horror that in Canada at least, when a Witness baby needs a blood transfusion, the court steps in if the parents refuse to try and save their child, and will do all they can to save that baby's life. And thanks to the media, whether the radio, newspaper or the internet, most people are more than aware of Jehovah's Witnesses and the issue of blood.

@djeggnog wrote:

There is no "baby" that has ever needed a blood transfusion. Just because a doctor wants to administer medical treatment to someone that includes blood transfusions doesn't meant that such blood transfused into a baby's body is guaranteed to save its life, and no doctor will give such a guarantee to the parents of any child.

@Mary wrote:

Yet another mindless comment from a retard who doesn't apparently can't read. No baby has ever need a blood transfusion eh?

Perhaps you thought I had stuttered, but I didn't stutter, @Mary: No "baby" nor an adult has ever needed a blood transfusion. Just because a doctor should opine that a blood transfusion is needed doesn't mean at all that a blood transfusion is needed.

In one of my previous messages, I pointed out how an infant had contracted hepatitis at birth as the result of a blood transfusion "because this is what the doctors have always done," not because the baby needed hepatitis. There is actually a significantly higher risk of complications developing when patients are given blood that is more than two weeks. As a result, an adversely impacted immune system in critically ill patients led to things like colorectal cancer recurrence and organ failure.

The point I was making is that a blood transfusion lowers the host's immune response and its ability to fight off infections, so that it predisposes the sick patient -- like the baby that receives transfused blood -- for the inset of infections that their immune system could have fought off were it not for the transfused blood.

@djeggnog wrote:

Did @jgnat grind me to death on the subject of eating blood?

@Mary wrote:

Actually, we all contributed to it and you were left looking like the fool that you are.

Ok.

Oh well.....I hope you're counting the time you spend on this apostate website as time on your Field Serve-Us Report.

Two (2) things:

(1) About a year ago, I recall you making the suggestion that I only come to JWN to count the time I spend here when not one of Jehovah's Witnesses can in good conscience report the time spent on websites like this one, and just as I told you then, I'm telling you again (because you evidently have a problem remembering the things I tell you) that if you choose to continue believing that I come to JWN to "count time," then I suppose I'll have no choice but to go on being that fool you think me to be.

(2) As to your opinion that JWN is an apostate website, did @Simon, the owner of this website, inform you to this effect? I'm just asking because you seem to be of the opinion, as are many others here on JWN, that JWN is an "apostates-only" website. I am not an apostate, so why would @Simon allow me to post message here if what you believe JWN to be were true? I would not be here it what you said here about JWN was the case.

As long as @Simon permits me to post messages here to his website, as long as he doesn't declare JWN to be an apostate website, it remains a website for anyone that wishes to discuss topics that are either peculiar or related to Jehovah's Witnesses, including those who are actively Jehovah's Witnesses; those who aren't exactly Jehovah's Witnesses any longer, but are in "fade" or are "fading," and for whatever reason do not wish to officially sever their association with Jehovah's Witnesses; those who have studied with Jehovah's Witnesses, but have never been baptized; and those who are merely interested in topics that are peculiar or that relate to Jehovah's Witnesses.

Contrary to what you believe, JWN is not an "apostates-only" website, and until @Simon does make such a declaration, you're just going to have to accept the fact that I will at times post messages here -- maybe not to you since you really soiled yourself with this "selective quote" stunt above and I don't like dishonest people -- but to others on this website.

We're probably the closest thing to a friend you actually have.

Actually, no, my closest friends -- Jehovah and Jesus -- don't actually live here on earth. (Luke 16:9) I don't think I could ever regard you as a close friend of mine, @Mary. I need to be able to trust my friends and I couldn't trust you, and if my children were still minors, I wouldn't trust someone like you being anywhere near them.

@Billy the Ex-Bethelite:

@DJHolidayNog - No, I didn't actually read all of your posts, I just did a search for my name. And in case you didn't notice my post was specifically addressed to Timmy.

I didn't care about whether your post was directed to me. I directed my post to you.

@Billy the Ex-Bethelite wrote:

Often the pharisees doctored the written law to make it easier for the people.

@djeggnog wrote:

Where in the Bible is there mention of the Pharisees doing what you suggest here?

Many of the pharisees "rules" actually made the archaic law tolerable for the Jews.

@djeggnog wrote:

How so, @Billy the Ex-Bethelite? I'd like to see an example -- just one would be sufficient -- of a rule imposed by the Pharisees that made the Mosaic Law more "tolerable" for the Jews as you just suggested here.

Imagine you are driving your car and accidently strike a bicyclist. The cyclist loses an eye in the accident. We know the Mosaic Law says "an eye for an eye" no "ifs", "ands", or "buts"! Get ready to have your eye gouged out DJ!... Well, unless your judge happens to be a Pharisee rather than a Sadducee...

An example of this differing approach is the interpretation of, "an eye in place of an eye".... The Pharisees and their "Oral Law" said that you would have to pay financial damages to the injured person. You would get to keep your eye... but I guess you'd be disappointed, eh? It would be more "tolerable" for you to get your eye gouged out and you could keep your money, eh? [¶] So there's one example.

I told you that I'd like to see one example of a rule imposed by the Pharisees that made the Mosaic Law more "tolerable" for the Jews. I know of not a single such example in the Bible, but instead of a Bible citation, what do you do? You make reference to the "Oral Law" and talk like you believe that when I asked you to provide "one example," that I'd be ok with an example from that which eventually came to be called "the Mishnah." Son, the Mishnah is not the Bible.

Now if you couldn't provide an example to me from the Bible, you could have just said nothing, since I never ask anyone questions like this one to which I don't already know the answer: You made a statement that I knew you wouldn't be able to prove scripturally. But what do you do? You substitute the Mishnah for the Bible! Did you really think I wouldn't notice the word "Oral Law" in your response? Did I ask you to provide an example from the "Oral Law" or from the "Mishnah"? You know that Jehovah's Witnesses do not use the Mishnah'; we use the Bible, so what could you have been thinking? How old are you, @BillyEB? 20? 14? What I am not is 14 years old.

Jesus often condemned the Pharisees because he believed the Mosaic Law should be interpreted even more liberally, lifting nearly all of the sabbath restrictions.

@djeggnog wrote:

Like what exactly? You say Jesus lifted nearly all of the sabbath restrictions, believing the Mosaic Law should be interpreted "more liberally" than the Pharisees had interpreted the Law, but please provide an example of Jesus having lifted any of the sabbath restrictions. I don't believe you can name a single one since Jesus kept the Law; he didn't abrogate it as you are saying here.

Christian followers of Jesus are not obeying sabbath restrictions today!

Oh, my! We don't? Are you sure about this, @BillyEB? I want to make sure I get this commandment right. <:-J>

You, as a JW, really believe that Jesus' sacrifice didn't end ALL of the sabbath restrictions?!?!?

What you wrote what that Jesus often condemned the Pharisees because he believed the Mosaic Law should be interpreted even more liberally, lifting nearly all of the sabbath restrictions." You didn't mention a thing about "Jesus' sacrifice" at all! Now you are asking me if I don't believe Jesus' sacrifice brought all sabbath restrictions to an end.

I didn't believe you could provide a single example of Jesus ever lifting or abrogating the sabbath, because, like I said, "Jesus kept the Law" during his ministry and at no time did he ever abrogate it, which is why I had asked you to provide an example of Jesus having lifted "any of the sabbath restrictions" because you had written that "he believed the Mosaic Law should be interpreted even more liberally, lifting nearly all of the sabbath restrictions," which is just not true.

First, there's @Mary's dishonesty, with her "selective quote" stunt, and now there's your dishonesty, with you trying to spin what you actually wrote into something you did not write:

What you wrote:

Jesus often condemned the Pharisees because he believed the Mosaic Law should be interpreted even more liberally, lifting nearly all of the sabbath restrictions.

What you did not write:

Jesus often condemned the Pharisees because he believed the Mosaic Law should be interpreted even more liberally, his sacrifice lifting nearly all of the sabbath restrictions.

How old are you, @BillyEB? 20? 14? 8? You're old enough to know better than to try to fool another adult by such pretentiousness on your part. Rather than pretending you said something that you really did not say, just say what you mean the first time. However, if you mess up the first time, you can always come back later with the words, "I'm sorry, but what I meant to say is...." It might be a good idea to think before you try pulling this stunt again, @BillyEB.

@djeggnog

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hey eggnog, do you have your time in for the month yet?

The Governing Body most resembles the Pharisees that Jesus condemned. Rules that change, oral rules that can be given by higher ups, numerous nuances to prophecies and credences.

I am guessing you haven't spent any time at Bethel, so i will cut you a break. You wouldn't be the first person to read fiction and not get it.

• Mary
    Mary
    egghead quoted: However, if our youths are already standing when the national anthem is played, they would not have to take the special action of sitting down; it is not as though they had specifically stood up for the anthem. On the other hand, if a group are expected to stand and sing, then our young people may rise and stand out of respect. But they would show that they do not share the sentiments of the song by refraining from singing."

Oh egghead. Do you actually read (or even think) before you post? All the entire quotation confirms is that JW's will do anything to be "different" from 'worldly people'. If you're sitting down and the anthem plays, you can't stand up. But if you're already standing, you don't have to sit down but you're not allowed to sing the anthem. The very fact that you were dumb enough to say that Jehovah's Witnesses do not refuse to stand for the National Anthem is a bold-faced lie since I provided quotes that shows that Witnesses are not supposed to stand for this. Plus, do you think we're stupid? How many of us on this board had to face the humiliation every morning in school, when we had to stand outside the classroom while the singing of the anthem went on? The very fact that you are trying to claim that this isn't the case is just one more nail in your coffin. Not that you'd be smart enough to recognize it, but carry on.

As long as @Simon permits me to post messages here to his website, as long as he doesn't declare JWN to be an apostate website, it remains a website for anyone that wishes to discuss topics that are either peculiar or related to Jehovah's Witnesses, including those who are actively Jehovah's Witnesses;

Ah yes, Simon will certainly continue to let you post on here, but what would your local elders or Crooklyn headquarters think of you 'associating with apostates' on here? If they caught you, you'd be up the creek without a paddle. Continue to post----I couldn't care less. The more you post, the dumber you look and in fact, your posts have probably been instrumental in helping lurkers on here out of the religion once they see that your 'truth' is anything but.

• pharmer
    pharmer
    they get to 'choose' the sense they feel comfortable addressing while avoiding the sense they wish to avoid (for whatever reason--I'm not here to accuse). :) I often times see this happening amongst children, where they really do know the main point of an issue is correct and valid, but for different reasons they still choose to argue.

I wrote the above quote; another poster wrote:

What I am not is 14 years old.

Yet it seems they still argue like one. ( they really do know the main point of an issue is correct and valid, but for different reasons they still choose to argue. )

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

@djeggnog, Once you start with personal insults and condescending tone, you lose the argument. Now I'm entitle to insult and condescend. FYI, I did some work in research for Watchtower projects. Frankly, they really don't do much research. I still have sticky notes of unpublished corrections to Insight volumes.

you believe that when I asked you to provide "one example," that I'd be ok with an example from that which eventually came to be called "the Mishnah." Son, the Mishnah is not the Bible.

Actually, I quoted an example from wikipedia. This is common knowledge to every Jew and educated Christian. Granny, wikipedia is not the Mishnah. Here's another example straight from the Bible and Watchtower publications. If you don't like this example, well, you'll just have to write to Watchtower and tell them that THEY need to conform to YOUR teachings.

The original Mosaic Law restricted anything to be done on the sabbath other than to eat.

“No work is to be done on them. Only what every soul needs to eat, that alone may be done for you.” (Ex 12:15, 16)

The only activity allowed by the Mosaic Law was to eat, feed livestock, and all the stuff at the tabernacle/temple. That was it. No "ifs", "ands", or "buts". There wasn't even a provision to dig a hole to poop into. However, Watchtower quotes from the accounts in Matthew and Mark, with commentary:

*** w98 8/1 pp. 9-10 par. 11 Jehovah—The Source of True Justice and Righteousness ***
    11 During his Galilean ministry in the spring of the year 31 C.E., Jesus spotted a man with a withered hand in a synagogue. Since it was a Sabbath, the Pharisees asked Jesus: “Is it lawful to cure on the sabbath?” Rather than feel genuine concern for this poor man’s suffering, they had a desire to find a pretext for condemning Jesus, as their question revealed. No wonder Jesus was grieved at their insensitive hearts! He then pointedly threw a similar question back at the Pharisees: “Is it lawful on the sabbath to do a good deed?” When they kept silent, Jesus answered his own question by asking them if they would not rescue a sheep that had fallen into a pit on the Sabbath. “Of how much more worth is a man than a sheep!” Jesus reasoned, with irrefutable logic. “So it is lawful [or, right] to do a fine thing on the sabbath,” he concluded. God’s justice should never be shackled by human tradition. Having made that point clear, Jesus went ahead and healed the man’s hand.—Matthew 12:9-13; Mark 3:1-5.

*** gt chap. 32 What Is Lawful on the Sabbath? ***
    The Jewish religious leaders believe that healing is lawful on the Sabbath only if life is in danger. They teach, for example, that on the Sabbath it is unlawful to set a bone or bandage a sprain. So the scribes and the Pharisees are questioning Jesus in an effort to get an accusation against him.
    Jesus, however, knows their reasonings. At the same time, he realizes they have adopted an extreme, unscriptural view as to what constitutes a violation of the Sabbath-day requirement prohibiting work.

The clear teaching from Watchtower, as based on the NWT, is that the original Mosaic Law would allow nothing but eating on the Sabbath. If a person or animal fell in a pit, well, they were wrong to be walking around during the sabbath. They deserved to die. The Pharisees were liberal, stretching the law with their "oral traditions" and said that if it involved a life threating injury or financial loss, they reinterpreted the Law to allow rescuing or medical assistance in many circumstances. As noted in Watchtower's own words, Jesus was far more liberal than the Pharisees and would do healing works for people whose lives were not in danger. Jesus was so liberal that he spoke of allowing any "good deed" on the sabbath. The Mosaic Law would not have allowed a doctor to go out to treat a dying child because that would be "work". The Pharisees would allow the doctor to treat a deathly ill child, but not a sprain. From the above quote from Watchtower, they teach that Jesus would have allowed a sprain to be treated or a bone to be set... he would have allowed a doctor to do any "work" because it involved good deeds. In fact, djeggnog, read all of story 32 and more of the Greatest Man book and the Insight volumes and you'll understand exactly what I was originally posting to Timmy. You really need to be better acquainted with Watchtower litteratrash if you're going to be any kind of apologist on this forum.

Before you start crying for another example, I'll give you one. Luke 6:1,2. Remember that gathering wood on the sabbath was punishable by death according to Moses. Lighting a fire was prohibited by the Mosaic Law sabbath restrictions. Cooking and baking were not to be done on the sabbath. None of that work was allowed. Travel was also restricted. In that Luke account, what was going on? They were travelling, which was prohibited during the sabbath (Ex. 16:29 says your supposed to sit in your place), the disciples were plucking and eating grain, when all food prep was to be done before the sabbath. The Pharisees said, "y'all shouldn't be doing that on the sabbath." The Pharisees were already liberal about travelling during the sabbath, but didn't like them harvesting (stealing) grain from the field. Jesus basically said, "David ate the showbread. I'm the Lord of the sabbath. Fu#k off." You don't think Jesus was liberal? What exactly do you think "liberal" and "conservative" mean? And if you don't like that example of Jesus' liberal interpretation of the sabbath, well, I guess you'll just have to tell HIM to conform to YOUR beliefs.

Did you really think I wouldn't notice the word "Oral Law" in your response?

Actually, I deliberately used "Oral Law" with 'their' in front of it to make it clear what I was referring to. Did you actually think that I was trying to hide that in such plain sight? The "Oral Law" was to the Pharisees what Watchtower is to Jehovah's Witnesses. You should know that already. You should also know that "Oral Law" is actually two words. In fact, let me correct your statement for you...

Did you really think I wouldn't notice the two times you used the two words "Oral Law" in your response?

That's better. Now this statement of yours is a real puzzler...

"You didn't mention a thing about "Jesus' sacrifice" at all!"

Why would I need to. I assumed that you would already have been acquainted with Jesus sacrifice. Did you ever get to that part of the Bible with your Bible reading. I guess not. So I will apologize for giving away the ending to the gospel accounts. Jesus gets killed. Opps. Sorry to spoil the ending for you. No wonder you're pissed and insulting me like a crazy person. I gave away the ending to a novel that you haven't had time to finish reading. Hmmm, have you not finished the book because you were waiting for the movie? Maybe waiting for Watchtower to put out the entire Bible drama on DVD?

You still didn't answer my question as to whether Jesus sacrifice put an end to the Law. Did it? All your wordy, empty, insulting bluster, and you don't even answer the question. Are Christians required to keep the sabbath? Or did Jesus lay the sabbath laws to rest? Is it that you're afraid to say that you were wrong?

You also didn't cite an example of Jesus rebuking anyone for not properly observing a sabbath rule, which I asked for. In fact, you didn't quote anything from the Bible... at all. Nothing but your empty words, sad. Is it that you are afraid to say that you were wrong?

You also didn't say whether you would like to have your eye gouged out. Is it that you are afraid to say that you were wrong?

And I don't have to correct anything in my original post because I directed it to Timmy, not to you. He is already well acquainted with the meaning of Jesus' sacrifice. I think he already knows how the Bible ends. You, on the other hand, are not as well educated as he is. And that's really, really sad. I suppose you're more accustomed to using the dumbed down "simplified study edition Watchtower wording". I'm so sorry for you. I'm sorry to have to inform you that the sabbath crap you're making such a big, honking deal about is completely meaningless... well, unless you are Jewish and keeping the law. Are you a Jew?

And you also didn't guess my age correctly. I suppose you were inspired to guess my age after your recent trip to the carnival...

carny

If you want to ignore a couple more of my questions:

• Which one of those ladies is you?
    • Did the carny guess your weight correctly?
  • Celestial
    Celestial
    Ah yes, that's right. When you have nothing to fall back on, I must be a liar right? Is English your second language? Or your third? I already explained how and why I knew what the blood doctrine entailed as the subject came up time and time again when my sister needed surgery. It's not too difficult to comprehend when you hear the elders talking to your parents about it and when you hear them say how they 'must remain faithful to Jehovah's Organization' if and when the subject of blood came up during one of my sisters' many surgeries and how even if she died, it would only be a few years before my parents saw her again because The End was coming in 1975.
    So please don't try and tell me what I could and I could not understand as a child you moron, because you haven't a frigging clue what you're talking about.

You present an image of the core value system of Jehovah's Witnesses as soulless, brainless and emotionally deficient. This disparaging description of the “higher powers” that mold the personality of Jehovah's Witnesses may or may not be consistent with your memories of your former self as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. From what you said about your family, you were a “born in,” so your submission to the “truth” was involuntary. Your involuntary submission to the theocratic order of Jehovah's Witnesses may justify your unrestrained presentation of this religion as a lethal “social menace.”

If questioned, the vast majority of individuals in the scientific community would describe the doctrine held by Jehovah's Witnesses on the “vital issue” of blood and its uses as a warped philosophy. They would uphold this opinion whether the stance taken by Jehovah's Witnesses was a “Biblical rule” or not. That's why the ex-JWs that voluntarily internalized this doctrine as “true believers” and now portray it as deadly theology are pretty disturbing.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"How many of us on this board had to face the humiliation every morning in school..."

Mary, that was something that annoyed me terribly when I went to Bethel and started getting to know the dictators there. They lived in their ivory tower, while it was the kids on the front line having to face all the holiday and nationalism issues in school. It all goes back to Rutherford. He really hated kids and wanted to make our lives miserable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit