I don't believe the Bible is Inspired of god - Why do you / don't you?

by cantleave 202 Replies latest watchtower bible

• designs
    designs

Ucant- Here we all get a chance to express ourselves in ways we never could in a Watchtower Study, its all good. Its rough and tumble at times and we could all be better in our etiquette but freedom is like that. Glad you are here, we are all learning everyday.

• cantleave
    cantleave

During times of anxiety some people will find solace in a religious faith. Others will seek professional help, still others will turn to drugs and alcohol.

Which of these is the best approach?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I didnt sleep Wednesday night. It is probably better that I dont post on this site. Nothing to do with the people on it. Although I will probably find it difficult not too.

Designs.

Thank you. The meetings for me were very stressful. So was going to the bother's for dinner. If I went to someones house for dinner or some social activity I wouldn't sleep. The bookstudy was the worst. I finally gave up going.

Being on the school was hell.

Cantleave.

I've always found Rum helps

• cantleave
    cantleave

lol - Rum is good!!!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Ucantnome, I hope I have not hurt you or made you feel bad, that was not my intention at all, indeed ,as we are strangers ,my comments are not a personal attack on you.

I just get frustrated with some believers on here who insist that their "beliefs" are "true" when they have nothing to back them up, O.K believe what you like, is what I say, and carry on, but don't expect those of us of a rational bent to go along with what we see as nonsense.

But please don't leave this place, you will find sympathy, support and help here, so many of the good people on this site have gone through the same as you, or similar, and their experience and thoughts can be so helpful and uplifting, you will lose that if you leave.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Ucantnome, I hope I have not hurt you or made you feel bad, that was not my intention at all, indeed ,as we are strangers ,my comments are not a personal attack on you.

Thank you Phizzy.

No you nor anyone else on this site makes me feel bad and I know I can post things that probably read differently to how I mean them.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Cantleave, Exodus 7 is an interesting account.

" 8 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron, 9 “When Pharaoh says to you, ‘Perform a miracle,’ then say to Aaron, ‘Take your staff and throw it down before Pharaoh,’ and it will become a snake.”

10 So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did just as the LORD commanded. Aaron threw his staff down in front of Pharaoh and his officials, and it became a snake. 11 Pharaoh then summoned wise men and sorcerers, and the Egyptian magicians also did the same things by their secret arts: 12 Each one threw down his staff and it became a snake. But Aaron’s staff swallowed up their staffs. 13 Yet Pharaoh’s heart became hard and he would not listen to them, just as the LORD had said." (NIV)

The God I serve has shown himself to be stronger than the another god mentioned in the Bible. I need not look any further. I can't prove this to you of course but it underpins my faith. Once Moses found the burning bush he didnt look for another. Not all Gods are the same as Pharoah found out. Man makes many gods, including himself.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

my personal view at the moment is kind of like this.

God gives you what you need to believe.

If you ask and keep asking he will give. The trouble with that is it might not be answered in the way you hoped.

No doubt I am wrong in my view. lol. and someone will tell me.

• Miles3
    Miles3
    However informed they then become they still cannot say for sure that the God they believed and loved for so long doesnt exist.

Yes they can. 6 mass extinction events in the histoy of life on earth (not incluing the deluge, which we know didn't happen), billions of living beings killed, millions of species extinct, at one time up to 97% of oceanic species lost, beautiful living organisms not to be found ever again. There's no intrisic better value between an animal's life and another, us included. We hold the value of our fellow humans higher because we're of the same species (not saying it's wrong), but each species does the same, a wolf would value another wolf's life higher than that of a human for example.

The God I serve has shown himself to be stronger than the another god mentioned in the Bible. I need not look any further. I can't prove this to you of course but it underpins my faith. Once Moses found the burning bush he didnt look for another. Not all Gods are the same as Pharoah found out. Man makes many gods, including himself.

You're aware than the Israelites never were in Egypt, never had to leave it and there never was a Moses to lead those out of that empire? You're aware the people that later formed the country known as Juda come from a different origin than what the Bible says?

As for being "stronger", history has shown repeteadly that Juda's gods were weaker that those of neighbouring nations, Egypt included. Especially the YHWH one, since Juda's darkest times (military defeats, invasions, devastations...) were under the "faithfull" kings like Josias... You thus might want to reconsider your assertion...

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

This is an interesting review of a book by one of Israel’s famous archaeologists that helps sort fact from fiction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_Unearthed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit