If we move to Minneapolis, will we have a life?

by lauralisa 13 Replies latest jw friends

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Hi,

My mate is flying this weekend to Minneapolis for an interview. It seems very likely that it will result in a wonderful career opportunity for him. My job is pretty portable, and there's no question that I'll go with him if he accepts.

What's Minneapolis/St. Paul like? (It can't be intolerably weird, because I know Harmony is from there.) I'm scared, nonetheless. I've lived on the east coast for most of my adult life. Any information would be greatly appreciated Is it true that one must remain frozen solid for six months out of the year? Do they have telephones? Will Prince come to my door wearing a "fat suit?"

Thanks yous guys, laura

• openminded
    openminded

Gopher is from Minn/St. Paul too. Its a really, really nice city. Has a lot going on all the time. Most people are impressed by it. What do you like to do?

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

laura! lolol

it's not terrible here! we do actually enjoy nice hot summers usually and the lakes and beaches are crowded. winter can be the pits but this winter wasn't so bad. anyways, i'll get some links for you and post them here. i love minneapolis, it's got a great music scene, lots of trees, water, nice people (most of the time.)

wishing your mate good luck on the interview! :):)

love
    harmony

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Laura,

You will have a great life here. Even if winter is a tad bit cold and snowy (but not this year) there is plenty to do in-doors and outside. In addition, Minneapolis/St Paul metro area has more theater seats per capita than any city in the US except New York.

If you do move here I'd like to invite you and your partner to have dinner with Mrs. Thirdson and I. Mrs. Thirdson is a real Minnesotan who grew up in a little town in the center of the state; I'm just an immigrant so what do I know. I do love my life here all the same.

Thirdson

• JanH
    JanH

Well, Lauralisa, it seems half of Minneapolis spends half their time online on this board, so I guess that answers your question

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Having moved to Minneapolis last spring and leaving at the start of last winter, I can perhaps offer a few of my own personal observations.

I have been in lots of cities across the USA and found the twin cities area to have a lot going for it. There are literally parks within 6 blocks of every home and there is well maintained paths for biking and perdestrians. The city is very green in the summer and while it does get hot in the summer, it is typically only for a few weeks.

There is a lot of cool architecture in the city, lots of fabulous places to eat, shop, and visit. The traffic is heavy around rush hour but actually is not as bad as many other metro areas. The winds and rain help keep the pollution levels down and there isn't a lot of homeless people living on the streets.

On the down side, the prices are quite high in fact nearly double of what many areas of the country are. You really get screwed if you need to have car repairs done as the cheapest labor I could find was over $75 per hour. In the summer, you can be eaten alive by the bugs but at least they try to keep some areas sprayed but as you have all the lakes around for the eggs to hatch in...well you get the picture.

It is damned cold in the winter and if you have not experienced both cold temperatures and a humid climate, you will be in for a shock. This has been a very mild winter though for your information and maybe will be so next year as well, but when you look at the places rated almanic you will see that this is one of the top ten most miserable climates in winter.

I found the people to be very friendly and there is lots of things to do. The crime rate is low compared to other cities but it is there. You can find it a good place to live but a warm and sunny place it is not.

Kind Regards,

Skipper

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

okay here's some links :)

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/leisure/

http://citypages.com/
    this is weekly newspaper, check out the calender, lots of events!

http://local.msn.com/twincities/
    msn's take on mpls/st.paul

i also would love to meet you once you get settled! :)

harmony

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi Lauralisa,

Yes you definitely will have a life! I can't add a lot to what was said above. Do you like shopping? We have the Mall of America here. Do you or your mate like the outdoors? It's only a short drive to the countryside from anywhere in the Twin Cities. There are many lakes, lots of places to go hiking (or do other outdoor sports), interesting places to go antiquing (like Stillwater and Red Wing). Also our medical care here competes with the finest in the nation, with the University of Minnesota heart hospital and also the Mayo Clinic down in Rochester.

All four major spectator sports are represented here. The cuisine is not spectacular, but you can get some good stuff, and with an influx of foreigners the past 15 years or so, it's getting more varied.

The cold winters do tend to suck, but this year hasn't been this bad. Besides, most of the time you're not far from powerful indoor heating.

Hopefully we have helped. Please e-mail me or any of the previous posters if you have other specific questions, and good luck!

J.R.Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

me again, i found one more site with tons of info:

http://www.kidskonnect.com/Minnesota/MinnesotaHome.html

about winter, well yes it does suck when it's -10 f with a wind chill factor of -30 but now really, how often does that happen? not at all this year. in normal winters, that brutal cold is for only about 2 weeks. or just a few days then it warms up to near freezing before dropping off again hey they say us minnesotans are heartier and healthier then folks from a more stable climate hehe, don't know if that's true but it sounds good. anyways, it really isn't so bad, you just stay indoors and hibernate a bit in winter. and hey if you're lucky to have a partner/mate then winter is no problem at all!!!

• roybatty
    roybatty

Minneapolis is nice. Just don't move to Green Bay...YUCK! Freakin Cheese Head - Packer fans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit