New To Studying

by DylanBeam 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

What a wus!

Ye, come back and put me in my place if you have an ounce of backbone left!

No, this is not "persecution", it is telling you the way it is.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

i dont think this is an appropriate board for official learning since oppossers are allowed to post things.

This is so precious. Opposers are ALLOWED to post here. Yes dear, we are allowed. Actually in the real world, the WTBTS really has no authority. We are allowed to go on about our day, work, eat and play. We even get to post on the internet. The freedom out here is grand, why do you seek to run to a prison where some people are allowed to speak and others are silenced. Look, if it's the truth, it will hold up under scrutiny.

But you already knew all this. I'm pretty sure you lurked while waiting to be approved to post here. Keep lurking. We won't give up on you, and we won't disfellowship you, and we'll ALLOW you to post.

NC

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Dylan: You sound like a young kid, who loves his grandma a lot. Which is all fine and good but what you need to realize is that not everyone is right, and what should be important to you is that you get accurate knowledge and facts. This requires you to do your own research and ask tough questions and not accept answers because they sound nice. Your grandma loves you and in her mind she wants you to live forever on paradise earth - that's what she has learned and wants only what's best for her grandchild. Problem is, she hasn't learned the truth but accepted what she's been told at one time by people who came selling an idea. She didn't research the history of the group nor does she know what the founder taught or who he was. Her knowledge is very limited. For example did you or her know that Watchtower taught and preached that Jesus returned in 1874 for over 50 years!!!! Did you know that they taught and preached that the last days began in 1799 for over 30 years before they changed it? Now these are just two facts that 99% of witnesses don't know nor did majority of us here know them when we were witnesses.

Why is it that witnesses for over 130 years were and are expecting the imminent end when the end hasn't come yet. Ask yourself, how could Watchtower promote a book supposedly directed by a demon to be distributed by witnesses? The book is called Angels and Women which Watchtower's second president - Rutherford - promoted as a good read for Christians.

If your grandmother is a witness what makes you think she knows better than your mom, your dad or your school teacher? If you want a good book to read, try Thy Kingdom Come, this is a third book in a series written by Charles Russell who was the founder of the Watchtower. There you will see how the dates were derived from biblical interpretations and the measurements of the Pyramid of Giza. Your grandma might learn a lot as well.

If you don't think watchtower is a cult, ask yourself why can't witnesses leave their religion without losing friends or family? That's right, if you get baptized as a witness and you change your mind about that religion your sweet grandma might disown you - not saying she will as I don't know her, but there is a good chance she will as has been the case with many people. Ask yourself, why don't witnesses know their past nor do they read old publications? Why are they scared of the internet information that's out there about their group? Why are witnesses discouraged from higher education or from doing independent research outside of watchtower publication or even into old watchtower publications? It's because it's a form of information control that cults use.

If you find something we say that isn't true call us on it as 99% what is said about the watchtower by us here is true and accurate while watchtower misleads it's members and others 99% of the time.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

ive heard enough of this cult nonsense.

And yet you are still studying with them. Curiouser and curiouser.

I highly recommend JWTalk.com. Those nutters will fix you right up.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

EntirelyPossible - I sent you a PM.

• undercover
    undercover

Are there not JEhovah's Witnesses on this board. i dont think this is an appropriate board for official learning since oppossers are allowed to post things. to all that gave me great suggestions i appreciate it but im done here. ill look toward the brothers and sisters for real information. p.s. ive heard both sides and the opposing one its crap. thanks. goodbye

In case you're lurking...'cause I know you are

If you want "official" WT information, then go to watchtower.org That's the offical website of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, parent company of the Jehovah's Witnesses religion. There you will find their current, and sometimes not so current, teachings.

Now... about your statement, "ive heard both sides and the opposing one its crap" How do you know it's crap? Have you looked up the references noted? Have you cross referenced with the WT publications? Have you researched independantly? Let me guess... no, no and no.

You've already been studying with JWs...or were raised as one... and already have a basic knowledge. And a basic programming of hating anything that is negative to what the WT may say.

If you want to be honest with yourself, you'll test out everything said to you. Whether it's here, or in a book in the library or by your JW bible study conductor.... anything said, anything proposed as "truth"....test it.

If, after that, you think JWs have the "truth", good luck to you. If, though, you have questions, doubts... do yourself a favor, give ear to them. Do not squelch them. Listen to your inner voice. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true. If something sounds 'off', it probably is. But you have to do the work...you have to research...you have to figure out for yourself what you learn is real, true or life saving or not.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Your statements are curious -- almost contradictory:

Hi, I am new to studying with the JW's and would like to know they best way to start. Any Suggestions?

Then you say:

i have read the beliefs of JWs and attended meetings therefore this is my way to go.

You've had some good suggestions here, and a few nasty ones. I can't help but add this 11 minute reading, but it is for REALLY new ones. You should get one of those Watchtower Library CDs before proceeding because it will quote from some 20 places within Watchtower literature. Keep me honest by checking them out.

THE GREAT WATCHTOWER CONTRADICTION will suggest a single question for you to ask your teacher.

Len

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

DylanBeam

Your personal integrity and intellectual honesty (if you have them), should demand you look at both sides of the coin before deciding to become a Jehovah's Witness. Once you become one, there is no going back.

This site is pretty nasty for someone who seems as sensitive as yourself. However, if you approach it with the mindset that you don't have to agree with (or even read) everything that people post here, you'll do just fine. Just keep an open mind.

If you would like some help, with no pressure from radical forum posters like us...go to www.jwfacts.com and read as much as you can there. The information is well researched, and offers some non-agressive counter-points to what you'll be learning from your Bible Study Conductor. By the way, they will likely be using the book, "What Does The Bible Really Teach?" It is available for download in PDF format here: http://download.jw.org/files/media_books/bh_E.pdf

I've also found Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom to be excellent aids in learning some opposing viewpoints about the organization. They were both written by Raymond Franz, former member of The Governing Body. He is in no way inflamatory or vicious about his views, and I think you'll be surprised how much you enjoy his books.

I really hope that you put some thought into this, and realize that we are not a bunch of "apostate maniacs" who are trying to trick you out of salvation. No one from The Kingdom Hall is going to tell you the entire story about The Organization. They are only going to tell you what they want you to hear. In fact, they will warn you that your family/friends/Satan will try to prevent you from learning "The Truth". Most importantly, they will warn you not to talk to ex-members. This is a common control mechanism used by many religious cults. They will try to make you afraid to listen to anyone else before those people even have a chance to share their viewpoints.

I wish I had been fortunate enough, and old enough to learn some of the things this site has taught me before I got baptized. I'm currently stuck in the organization, along with my family and friends. If I leave, it will cost me everything. You have an opportunity to make an informed decision. PLEASE DO NO WASTE IT. Even if you decide that Jehovah's Witnesses are "great" and you want to be one, at least you will have made that choice with all the facts at your disposal.

I wish you the best, and welcome to the forum.

dontplaceliterature

(Born In Jehovah's Witness - Active & Currently Serving as a Ministerial Servant)

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    Are there not JEhovah's Witnesses on this board. i dont think this is an appropriate board for official learning since oppossers are allowed to post things. to all that gave me great suggestions i appreciate it but im done here. ill look toward the brothers and sisters for real information. p.s. ive heard both sides and the opposing one its crap. thanks. goodbye

Sigh. If only I had so many people trying to open my eyes to the JW cult before I wasted all of my young, fertile years.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

He's only heard the opposing viewpoint as told by The Watchtower Society.

Somehow, I seriously doubt that DylanBeam didn't already know that this site was chock-full of apostates before he joined. I detect a serious lack of testicular fortitude, or intelligence. Probably both.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit