New To Studying

by DylanBeam 85 Replies latest jw friends

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Speaking of the reasoning book, a good topic to ask your study conductor to look up in that book is "Mediator" Its good to know what place the JWs have for Jesus Christ.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

This is the best 15 minute guide to figuring out where to go with Jehovah's Witnesses:

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/15-minute-guide-to-truth.php

• DylanBeam
    DylanBeam

REPLY TO USER "MOUTHY" - If you are not a Jehovah's Witness please to not submit a reply! Ill believe what I think is true.

• Ding
    Ding

If you truly want to understand the Watchtower religion, then reading Ray Franz's book Crisis of Conscience is a must.

Don Cameron's book, Captives of a Concept, is also terrific. Before you conclude that the Watchtower Society is God's organization, do the same investigation that they say Jesus did in 1918. Don shows you how to do this.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Ah, hah...

Well, Dylan Beam, as a true Jehovah's Witness and one who wishes you to have the FULL and UNVARNISHED truth, here is a link to the first chapter of "The Divine Plan of the Ages"....

It is one of the earlier books put out by the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Here's a link to the entire book - note the interesting art on the cover - an illustration of the Great Pyramid of Giza...

http://www.archive.org/stream/TheDivinePlanOfTheAgesAndTheGreatPyramid/1913_The_Divine_Plan_of_the_Ages_and_the_Great_Pyramid#page/n0/mode/2up

• undercover
    undercover

REPLY TO USER "MOUTHY" - If you are not a Jehovah's Witness please to not submit a reply! Ill believe what I think is true.

You asked for suggestions... and you're getting them.

If you only want the JW viewpoint, then just ask your JW study conductor to pick the book and he/she will be more than happy to oblige.

If you want to be open-minded in order to actually have a foundation for your thinking that what you believe is true, you'll need to study the JW religion from more than one perspective.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

REPLY TO USER "MOUTHY" - If you are not a Jehovah's Witness please to not submit a reply! Ill believe what I think is true

Welcome Dylan. I think you will find that most of us here do not identify as JW's---but most of us used to. The pesky thing about a forum is everyone gets to submit a reply, so be prepared.

I recommend that when you find a quote from a scientist in any of their literature, you run it through google. I believe that you will find that when read in context, these quotes are intellectually dishonest. For that matter, any reference they make to science should be thoroughly researched. When they talk about flash frozen mammoths---look it up! Read what researchers really found. Another excellent resource that examines their literature throughout the years is http://jwfacts.com/

Keep reading! There is a lot to learn.

NC

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, Dylan Beam, speaking as a TRUE Jehovah's Witness who only wants you to have the real TRUTH of Jehovah's love, here's an even BETTER website for you to begin your study on...

Nothing BUT Watchtower publications on THIS website!!

Enjoy...

http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/archive.htm

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Welcome Dylan from Unky Punky longtime elder.

If you are not a Jehovah's Witness please to not submit a reply! Ill believe what I think is true.

If this is the case then perhaps you're better off just letting your study conductor suggest a book.

A cautionary word though, don't question any of the teachings if you get baptized. I think you'll end up believing what you are told you have to believe is currently the 'truth' or face a meeting in the back room of the kingdom hall.

'Divine Plan of the Ages' is very interesting.

The Yearbook 1934 'Declaration of Rights' is also a good read where Judge Rutherford wrote to Hitler with his comments about the Jews, the US and the UK.

I'll let you research this one for yourself.

More up to date is the 'Commentary on James' this is a really good read.

Let me know how it goes Dylan.

Thanks for listening.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

DylanBeam, have you begun studying yet? Obviously you will begin with the book, "What does the Bible really teach?"

The problem is Dylan, the Jehovah's Witnesses will not tell you upfront about their history unless you ask them.

Did you know they predicted dates where the world would come to an end? Dates such as 1914, 1925, 1975 are just some of the more prominent dates, but they set many other dates. They are not unique in date setting, the Adventists and Millerites that came before them did this as well.

They might explain what disfellowshipping is, and give you biblical precedents set, such as 1 Corinthians 5: 11-13

11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister [c] but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.” [d]

and 2 John 9-11

9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take them into your house or welcome them. 11 Anyone who welcomes them shares in their wicked work.

But they fail to mention that it is not only Bible rules that will get you disfellowshipped, they have their own rules that need to be obeyed. This practice has torn many families apart, and if you stick around on this forum, you will see what I mean.

DylanBeam, an important thing to consider as well is the teaching of the Faithful and Discreet Slave. This is something you will almost without fail hear in every meeting you attend at Kingdom Hall. It is based on Matthew 24:45-47. The problem is, there explanation of it has gotten so out of hand, that they claim the Faithful and Discreet Slave is a group of 7 or 8 men in Brooklyn that control all the big decisions for the Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide. And, the worse part is that if you disagree with what these men teach, or merely disagree that they have no basis for such authority, you will be in line for disfellowshipping, which means being cut-off from all Witnesses with a single anouncement.

I suggest you independently research shunning/disfellowshipping and the doctrine of the Faithful and Discreet Slave/Governing Body.

If you need any help, or have any specific questions, feel free to private message me at any time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit