Victoria, Australia: The long edition (new) of Part 2 of Steven Unthank's report of molestation/rape within the Traralgon Cong.

by AndersonsInfo 79 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

Hey can anyone help me with actual newpaper articles with this as I am drawing blank....sadly friends in Australia have not even heard of it and the one who had, had little to no interest in it.

I may have missed some links already posted so my apologies but so far all I can get it Mr. Uthanks, press releases which are usually on web sites and not in the press.

This is very interesting.

Light

TS1969

• ScenicViewer
  • truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

Scenic:

Thank you, it just shocked me that so few things had been written about it and the friends I have there have no clue about the whole thing.

I did discover that 'private" prosecutions are not viewed as important as "state or federal" prosecutions but I would have thought that someone somewhere would have viewed this as important given the time that has passed since filing.

Hopefully some good will come from it.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Jehovah's Witnesses just are not newsworthy.

Newspapers are not about news, they are about advertising. That is where the money is, 'news' is the product peddled by a corporation to attract atvertising dollars. The more advertising worthy newsworthy a story is, the more papers sell, the more money is made.

The catholic church gets front page...because it sells the newspaper. JWs DONT, nobody cares, certainly not the James Packer's of this world.

Oz

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Ts1969,

Maybe more will be written if there are convictions, but if the Watchtower wiggles out of it there won't be much to report. As you say, private prosecutions are often not taken seriously; probably because most don't have enough merit. If the prosecutors take this case over from Unthank it will be a big step forward.

I think most of us on this site are hoping for convictions and news coverage eventually. The case deserves it.

Oz makes a good point, it's just Jehovah's Witnesses, a small religious group in the world. If a reporting agency could aim the story more toward the child abuse angle, maybe it would sell. For us, we are looking at how bad the Watchtower is, but for the story to get the public's interest it might need to highlight the children's safety issues.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

jwdaughter

I am a little confused as to who Unthank is and what his position is in all of this.

I am clear as to the fact that he seems to be the one exposing this and I hope he has a reward in heaven for doing this.

This doesn't surprise me, any of it, other than the fact that it is happening in 2011. I thought the org had guidelines to that this kind of pastoral abuse would no longer be afactor, even though we can have no guarantees of the action of individual JW'S.

I am naive, obviously.

jwdaughter I am just as confused as you. The most puzzling thing is why the police visited the Tralagon Congregation during the meeting? Presently I am wondering if the elders called the police thenselves because they were expecting trouble from MR Unthank and whoever was with him.

Is there any way to check with the police if they are actually doing an investigation into the congregation and if they visited the congregation during the meeting as part of this investigation.

• truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

That is an area that got me confused too. I would have assumed if Mr. Uthank was aware of a criminal investigation or cases or repeated molestation then it would have been a proverbial "hitting the fan". Alas I could not find anything on this police investigation in that area either and there seems to be nothing my friends in Australia know about any open investigation into molestation claims.

Then again the denial by the Org could reach a point where they deny any members exist in the country!

It is a game of wait and see....let's hope it is a short one!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Barbara Anderson and thank you.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I can hardly believe what I'm reading...sick.

These JW elders are criminals - the Society is criminal in its actions. Absolutely despicable.

• Heaven
    Heaven

What truthseeker said. My stomach turns over when I read these articles. And I am so very ashamed that my parents and some of my family belong to this organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit