Religious People Live Longer

by mankkeli 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

But is it worth it?

• sizemik
    sizemik

LOL FHN . . . if a study came out showing prison inmates lived longer . . . would we all become criminals?

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Hi Sizemik, I also referenced and quoted from the actual artice.

Another quote, which Mankkeli also omitted (no suprise)

Researchers face daunting problems in assessing religiousness, Kaplan says

"religiousness" means very different things to different people, and lumping all who participate in activities organised by any religion means that any conclusions must be heavily qualified.

Mankkeli's conclusion - the selective quotes should urge people back into a cult - is classic black and white thinking.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

that's just too funny!!!! sorry would not make me go back to the BS

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Nice try Manny. Another notch on your fail list.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Nice try Manny. Another notch on your fail list.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Retro . . . I saw that a bit belatedly . . .

Researchers face daunting problems in assessing religiousness, Kaplan says

I can identify with that statement . . . I find it daunting myself.

It appears these "scientists" simply collated all available data from multiple, but very limited studies . . . how very "scientific." I would like to know who these "scientists" are, and to view the actual data they used.

It's a 12 year old article. It also appears to be one of those readership-stimulating articles with an over-stated title and plenty of disclaimers. They in effect, say nothing of substance and counter every point they make to maintain deniability. Much like WTS "watching the world". Scientific tabloid journalism does exist.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Well, mankkeli basically cherry-picked the parts of the article that support his theory that we should all high-tail it back to the Kingdom Hall...

Hmmm I seem to remember the Watchtower doing the very same thing with important subjects like the cross, the Trinity, the No Blood policy, evolution...

Should we really be surprised that he's emulating the cult he so loves?

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Does not apply to Jehovah's witness since they are not a religion according to their own definition...and it is a cult according to mine....

• still thinking
    still thinking

Since the WTS is a publishing company are there any statistics on how long publishing company followers live?...I'm assuming manky is not saying that publishing books for huge profits and forcing their followers to pay for them is a religious activity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit