Religious People Live Longer

by mankkeli 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• ziddina
    ziddina

Double-threads, same post...

"Religious People Live Longer..."

Mmmfmph!!

Not if they're Aztecs....

Or elderly ladies living in Salem, Massacheusetts, in the early 1600's...

Or herbal practitioners living in Europe during the Dark Ages, Middle Ages and into the Renaissance...

Or Jews living in those areas around the same times...

Or non-believers living in ancient Israel, disobedient children, practitioners of "other" religions, and various other groups targeted by the Israelite zealots...

Or people viewed as "enemies of the state", living in Germany before WWII, or in America shortly afterwards... [the 1950's Mc Carthy-era "Communist Witch Hunts"...]

• JRK
    JRK

Yes, a double thread from the IT Doctor!

JK

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

This may trigger a return to the KH. Just thinking.

That would be a negative step, going backward, for people that left the organization for good reasons, which is the majority.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Rich people live longer too. God must love the rich.

Well, a good portion of the rich are religious, dear Q (peace to you!). I mean, who the heck ya think pays for those fancy churches, temples, cathedrals, etc.? Doesn't make them close to God, though, regardless of how high the spire/steeple/nave. To the contrary, actually...

Even so... apparently "science" is saying the religious live longer. So, dear Mankkeli's (peace to you!) attempt to use this as... what... a way to convince people that if they want to live longer they need to [re]join a religion (no, thanks, though - I'll pass - 'cause 10, heck, 50 extra years of slavery just ain't worth it to ME!) aside... it's "supported" by "physical evidence," apparently. Which should make it just fine with you.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• poppers
  • charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Oh yeah........ and Bears.....

• sizemik
    sizemik
    This may trigger a return to the KH. Just thinking.

No you're not . . . that's the whole point.

Next time either post the source . . .

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_23_157/ai_63184607/

. . . or the entire article, so we get to see comments like this . . .

Religious involvement, especially the public type, showed a statistically significant relationship to higher survival rates, the scientists say. Other factors that displayed a comparable link to longer life included being relatively young [huh?], well educated, in good physical health, and part of a supportive social circle. - brackets [] mine

And this by a contributor to the studies . . .

George A. Kaplan, a social epidemiologist at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, expresses skepticism about the new report. "There are only a handful of good studies on religion and physical health," so mixing them with many inferior studies "doesn't tell us much more than we know already," he says.
    "There is absolutely no basis for recommending religiosity as a preventive strategy [in health care]," Kaplan says.

Your partially selective quote is yet another demonstration of your duplicitous nature and naivete mankelli . . .

I would suggest your try harder . . . but suspect you are already doing your best.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Religious people live longer, but probably have less total free time away from the church than their nonreligious counterparts that die sooner.

Certainly, religious women in many groups live longer to be beat by their husbands or be dominated by them.

• carla
    carla

I thought there was just another study that showed more mental illness and instability among the religious folks?

• sizemik
    sizemik

This will have them sprinting back to the KH . . .

Religious participants also exhibited less depression associated
    with job loss and other stresses that were out of their direct control but showed more depression
    linked with marital and other relationship problems.

@carla . . . there is a report which shows significantly higher levels of mental illness and suicide among high-control groups (cults). Grouping them in with mainstream is highly misleading and evidentially futile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit