Do you have to deal with a psychopathic person?

by moshe 58 Replies latest social family

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Wow... just spent a few hours researching psychopaths, wondering "Could a GROUP be classified as psychopathic?" I came here to post about it and see your post, Moshe.

Much has been written about the psychopathic leanings of the founders of the Watchtower religion and the resultant cost in wasted human lives.

I was thinking about the psychopathic leanings of the entire organization...the structure, the members, all of it.

I think that organizations CAN be psychopathic, though I can't find much research on it yet.

Doesn't 'psychopathic' describe Jehovah's Witnesses, both as individual members of their group and as a group?

They wear a mask of charm to get what they want: converts.

They have no empathy for people who they feel threaten the group identity.

They will cut off their own Mother or Father or child quickly and cleanly.

They will be vicious in emotionally abusing those that threaten the group or how great the group looks.

They rationalize their abuse of others.

They have a grandios vision of themselves. They believe themselves to be the best religion in the world and they believe themselves to be the most knowlegable about the Bible of any people in the world, they believe they are the most rightous people in the world, the most honest people in the world, they believe themselves to be the most pure, the most GOOD, and on and on and on. They are the BEST. Period.

They lie and manipulate to gain converts or to look good to the outside world.

They have no remorse for pain caused to outsiders.

They often appear arrogant, opinionated, domineering, and cocky.

no respect for the differing opinions of others.

It's almost like if you drop normal a person into the Witnesses, they qualify as a psychopath. You take them out, they don't.

• moshe
    moshe

Yes , the article is chilling to contemplate. The chilling part, is how probably how many psychopathic politicians have duped us. Based on the big mess they have created, I'd venture to say quite a few. As the article pointed out- liars always have the advantage over the honest person= a higer percentage of liars will get elected.

-Take, for example, the "legal argument" as explicated by Robert Canup in his work on the "Socially Adept Psychopath." The legal argument seems to be at the foundation of our society. This amounts to little more than con-artistry: the one who is the slickest at using the structure for convincing a group of people of something, is the one who is believed. Because this "legal argument" system has been slowly installed as part of our culture, when it invades our personal lives, we normally do not recognize it immediately.

Human beings have been accustomed to assume that other human beings are - at the very least - trying to "do right" and "be good" and fair and honest. And so, very often, we do not take the time to use due diligence in order to determine if a person who has entered our life is, in fact, a "good person." And when a conflict ensues, we automatically fall into the cultural assumption that in any conflict, one side is partly right one way, and the other is partly right the other, and that we can form opinions about which side is mostly right or wrong. Because of our exposure to the "legal argument" norms, when any dispute arises, we automatically think that the truth will lie somewhere between two extremes. In this case, application of a little mathematical logic to the problem of the legal argument might be helpful.

Let us assume that in a dispute, one side is innocent, honest, and tells the truth. It is obvious that lying does an innocent person no good; what lie can he tell? If he is innocent, the only lie he can tell is to falsely confess "I did it." But lying is nothing but good for the liar. He can declare that "I didn't do it," and accuse another of doing it, all the while the innocent person he has accused is saying "I didn't do it," and is actually telling the truth.

The truth - when twisted by good liars, can always make an innocent person look bad - especially if the innocent person is honest and admits his mistakes.

The basic assumption that the truth lies between the testimony of the two sides always shifts the advantage to the lying side and away from the side telling the truth. Under most circumstances, this shift put together with the fact that the truth is going to also be twisted in such a way as to bring detriment to the innocent person, results in the advantage always resting in the hands of liars - psychopaths. Even the simple act of giving testimony under oath is useless. If a person is a liar, swearing an oath means nothing to that person. However, swearing an oath acts strongly on a serious, truthful witness. Again, the advantage is placed on the side of the liar. [Robert Canup]

• Lore
    Lore
    Psychopathy is a mental disorder characterized primarily by a lack of empathy and remorse, shallow emotions, egocentricity, and deceptiveness. Psychopaths are highly prone to antisocial behavior and abusive treatment of others, and are very disproportionately responsible for violent crime.

Any experiences in dealing with these problem people would be helpful to all.

So basically, you're asking if any of us have experience in working around children?

• moshe
    moshe
    They lie and manipulate to gain converts or to look good to the outside world. They have no remorse for pain caused to outsiders. ***It's almost like if you drop normal a person into the Witnesses, they qualify as a psychopath. You take them out, they don't

That'a very scary analogy, but I have to consider it a logical viewpoint. I have often wondered, if long term faders get a secret thrill out of being fake JWs, even elders. The normal reaction is to get away from a pathological group of liars and associate with normal people. Lying about who you are inside is too hard for a normal person to keep up for very long.

• lohengren
    lohengren

The CEO of my company is a regular Patrick Bateman (american psycho). I know one day he will bring an axe into the office.

He even looks the part.

• moshe
    moshe

Lore, I once old my then 15 year old daughter- "there is a hell'uva lot more parent abuse than child abuse"- I won't go into details, but out of control teenagers can literally ruin a parent's life

We had a neighbor years ago who had an out of control step son- about 14 years old. The family was absolutely terrified of him. One day he threatened them with a harm (an axe, I think) - they locked him out- he got tired of trying to get back inside ( it was night), so he set his stepdad's car on fire. Now the police and fire dept got involved. The stepdad admitted he locked the minor child out of the house- so he was immediately guilty of child abuse- and he was the only one who went to jail. Needless to say he got a divorce.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My MIL, oh the stories I could tell about that evil woman.

• compound complex
    compound complex

PLEASE READ: GB's attitude toward suffering of foreign brothers ...

Ray Franz received letters from Branch Committee members that displayed thoughtfulness and breadth of viewpoint that were in sharp contrast to the rigidity and narrowness of several members of the Governing Body:

What was the effect of all this? Remember that any decision made would affect the life of thousands of persons. The existing policy had already resulted in imprisonments representing tens of thousands of years. Again, I believe the way the matter was handled is remarkably revealing. It illustrates the way long-standing, traditional policies can exercise overruling power on the thinking of men who have declared their determination to let God's Word be their sole and supreme authority. [ISOCF, Ray Franz, p. 266.]

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/165264/1/GBs-Attitude-Toward-Suffering-of-Foreign-Brothers

• ziddina
    ziddina

Ho, ho, I could tell some stories!!! Most would be work-related, though...

In one case, two of my co-workers happened to have had the same supervisor at a previous place of employment. They began comparing notes, having been EXTREMELY puzzled by some of the snafu's and blow-ups under this particular woman's supervision, and found that she had been lying to BOTH of them - alternately - and every time she was caught in a lie, she placed the blame on the OTHER co-worker - whomever wasn't present at the time...

Needless to say, this woman's psychopathic behavior caused a GREAT deal of problems, not only for the two co-workers, but also for the COMPANY...!

Having observed far too many of these worms over the years, I've come to realize that the typical psychopath or sociopath is - INEVITABLY - the worst BROWN-NOSER - TURD-POLISHER - in the company.

And far, far too many bosses are sucked in by these devious, dishonest, manipulative deviants...

They seem to be driven by at least two motives; an extreme fear of being "out of control" - which leads to an obsession with controlling EVERYONE ELSE [and frequently there's a substance-abuse problem involved, too...], and a small-minded, intrusive lack of boundaries - respect for others' personal boundaries, and ability to maintain some semblance of social boundaries of their own...

Never having been an elder [being female, I was disqualified at birth...], I haven't had the opportunity to observe, first-hand, the behaviors of elders, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that the same behavior patterns can be seen in many elders...

Zid

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think that starting threads warning people here to be nice to the Watchtower Society when we post is psychopathic:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/218133/1/Please-done28099t-be-guilty-of-committing-the-sins-you-have-indicted-the-WatchTower-of

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit