An Old Argument.... does it hold water?

by AK - Jeff 1495 Replies latest jw experiences

• tec
    tec

actually...that is based on more evidence than you are providing tec...and that evidence is flawed too.

Because the biblical flood story has God warning and then sending a flood... all natural disasters are sent from God? What about the ones that affect absolutely no one? Natural disasters occur in places where there is no harm to any humans. Warning systems allow humans to get free of a coming natural disaster.

To me, the fact that floods and tsunamis and earthquakes and eruptions occur as a natural occurance of this moving, shifting planet, and in places where humans are not living... shows that these are natural results of this earth moving and shifting. People just also happen to get in the way of some of those events.

So are the ones that harm no one random, and the ones that harm humans acts of God?

I do not see logic in this.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

He couldn't stop it or He wouldn't stop it. Also FACTS!

Yes. These are facts.

The 'reasons why' are opinion, and based on the reasoning of beings with a limited understanding of the universe.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Yes tec...but NOT when it come to statements you make...then you seem to KNOW.

If I don't know something, I refrain from answering or state 'I don't know.'

If I think something, I state, "I think."

If I know something, I state, "I know."

Most of the time, I state, "I think, or maybe, or perhaps."

Nobody is saying that anyone 'sent' the tsunami. But sure as shit, nobody stopped it either...that's the point...tec... poopsie
    Well, that's the fact... the points being garnered from that fact are opinion. ..poopsie tec
    how is opinion saying no one stopped it? No one did...it happened...the conclusions we are making aren't being claimed as fact...just observation... still

If you read it again, Still, you will see that I agreed that it is a fact that it no one stopped it. I never said that was opinion. What is opinion are the statements being made about why no one stopped it.

Peace,

tammy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    The 'reasons why' are opinion, and based on the reasoning of beings with a limited understanding of the universe.

If you want to go head-to-head with the atheists here on what man knows and what you and they know about the start of the universe and how much really is available about why it is known to be 13.72 billion years old, then we can see who is a being with a more-limited understanding of the universe.

Fact is- we are all beings with a limited understanding of the universe.

This is a pointless debate. ALL GOOD COMES FROM GOD, ALL BAD COMES FROM ELSEWHERE. I KNOW BECAUSE CHRIST PROVES IT (somehow) TO ME PERSONALLY. At the end, that's where Tammy will be.

• tec
    tec

If you want to go head-to-head with the atheists here on what man knows and what you and they know about the start of the universe and how much really is available about why it is known to be 13.72 billion years old, then we can see who is a being with a more-limited understanding of the universe.

I think you are making an assumption about me here, and that assumption is wrong. As assumptions often are.

Fact is- we are all beings with a limited understanding of the universe.

Absolutely. Never stated otherwise. In fact, this is what I stated as soon as this thread was resurrected.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Yes tec...but the one thing you won't admit is that you don't KNOW for certain if god sent that tsunami or not...stop side stepping tec...admit you don't know....and even though you agree that no one stopped it..(pretty hard to deny that)...you are still sticking by "god didn't cause it".

You can't possibly know that as a fact.

Often you state things as though they are fact but dont literally say "I know"...it's very elusive and hard to pin down...but you do it all the time.

Stating god did not do something...is stating it as a fact...well, if its a fact ....prove it.

What is opinion are the statements being made about why no one stopped it. ....tec

What is also opinion is stating god did not cause it.

• tec
    tec

You can't possibly know that as a fact.

No, I cannot state it as a provable fact.

But it goes against what Christ showed about God. So someone would have to prove to me that God did it, for me to accept it... because it conflicts with the Truth. If something conflicts with the truth, then it tends to be a lie. So I have zero reason to think that God did it.

About proving it, however... are you of the opinion that the onus on the one making a statement? So if someone says that God sent that tsunami... who bears the burden of proof? (if you are one of the people who subscribe to this rule, that is)

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

tec...I am not claiming god sent the tsunami...I am not even claiming there is a god...I don't have to prove something I am already admitting I don't know.... what I am saying is you can't prove if he did or didn't...and you won't admit you don't know.

I am getting the impression that if you start to admit you don't know this..then what else don't you know for certain? could your reasoning all be based on guessing.

You are stating he didn't. ...and sticking to it...prove it.

• tec
    tec

I am not claiming god sent the tsunami

You did say that it made sense to you that God sent the tsunami... so in that sense, are you not at least playing devil's advocate for argument's sake?

what I am saying is you can't prove if he did or didn't...and you won't admit you don't know.

I never said I could prove that He did not. And I do know, based on Christ. I could say that I am 99.9% certain, barring some circumstance I know nothing about... but all that I think when I say this, is that this .1% is in conflict with Christ's teachings and deeds.

And since we know that tsunamis and other major events in nature occur with or without humans around, what reason is there to believe that God sent that tsunami?

You are stating he didn't. ...and sticking to it...prove it.

This is the same as saying to an atheist who is sticking to it that there is no god... that they have to prove it. If you are good with that, then fine. I cannot prove it. Never said I could. Just said I knew, based on what I know of God, through His Son. You can look at Christ and his life and deeds and teachings and determine for yourself if this is in harmony with Him, or in conflict.

So... do you think that God sent that tsunami to kill those people?

Peace,

tammy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    So... do you think that God sent that tsunami to kill those people?

OH OH, Let me answer that one.

NO, God did not send the tsunami. BUT If the God that Tec believes in did exist, HE would have stopped it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit