Why So Many Young People Are Leaving The Watchtower

by Jeremy C 140 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

DaCheech:

if they cared about gas, they would of terminated the school/service meeting; where people travel more miles to get to!

Or just said to forget door to door work. If they quit the door to door, they would have MORE members, and they would save countless dollars and hours.

P

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

The only other feedback I'd offer is my opinion about the length of your post. As one of my editors told me a few years ago: Halve the number of words and you'll increase the potency of your message because more people will be inclined to stick with your message to its completion.

I hope you don't find my comments audacious because my main message is how well you write.

No steve2, there’s nothing wrong with your critique. We can all use some constructive criticism from time to time. Hey look at this way: you guys can be the JWD version of theocratic ministry school conductors.

The whole point of the bookstudy meeting was that it was usually in small homes; it was the favorite meeting of every person I knew. You might get a sour location sure, but you might get that rare gem: the bookstudy where EVERY week there was snacks, treats, coffee and fellowship after.

The bookstudy was VITAL, the GB said, because it was a micro congregation; this was the group you would go to when we were persecuted.

And of course, though they never said this, the bookstudy at a private home was most similar to the early 'households' of faith, the earliest congregations of Jesus' followers.

Pistoff, you bring up a very good point. I was floored when I had heard that they dropped the home bookstudy. We were always told that this was the most important meeting of the week, and that it would be vital when the Great Tribulation broker out. (perhaps their cozy relationship with the UN makes them believe that persecution won’t be too bad after all) This truly was many people’s favorite meeting because of it’s cozy feeling; especially those where the friends enjoy desert and fellowship afterward.

The deletion of home bookstudies had nothing to do with something so temporary as gas prices! This silly explanation is similar to the kind of reasoning that they gave for changing the baptismal questions. I’m convinced that they felt the home bookstudies were one of those loose ends they needed to tie up in solidifying their control over the organization. It’s too easy for small groups of people to begin having independent discussions about the material they’ve just covered. I don’t think the past generation of GB members would have given their approval to this.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    I’m convinced that they felt the home bookstudies were one of those loose ends they needed to tie up in solidifying their control over the organization.

Agreed.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Very good post. I pray that many more will leave the mindcontrol.

Makes me feel guilty...I brought my kids up JW's
    One still there,( & her daughter my grandchild)another of mine left
    married an unbeliever...Was very happy with him,died at 42(cancer)
    I pushed her into the cult. I think of all the years I( 18ys) convinced her
    it was the truth,,,, If we could help just one see the error of our following
    any one that says they know it all.
    Wish you had written that back in 1965 >>when I was captured by a false prophet

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Frustration doesn't occur until one realizes there are options. Kids raised in a cult believe that's "just how things are" and don't question it. However, anyone with Internet access can tear apart a cult, if they are actually interested in the truth about it. This is why the growth is among the uber poor and in third-world countries.

The Society does little to empower the young. Perhaps elders and MSs are getting younger in an attempt to bolster their "faith" through perceived rewards of title and position. But for the most part, young people in the JWs have ample time to destroy the hold of the GB and WT on them before any great emotional attachment can be made.

• steve2
    steve2

It's interesting that two other religions that are (sometimes) viewed as cults and also come from the USA appear to have better youth-retention rates: Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) and Seventh-Day Adventists. It's no coincidence that both have well-thought-out youth programs and don't just pay lip service to the importance of young ones. I can only agree with an earlier poster who said that the Watchtower has known for decades that it is losing young ones; it also knows that well-regarded, long serving witnesses have expressed their concerns about the need for youth programs to the Watchtower itself - and been ignored or reprimanded for running ahead of the orgnaization or told to wait on Jehovah. meanwhile, the exodus continues...which in one way is good (who really wants them to stay?). Yet in another way sets the young ones up for a tough time in that it often leads to difficulties in families and shunning (to say the least).

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I agree and I can only imagine that the wt does not offer any youth programs because crayns and coloring books cost money.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

Makes me feel guilty...I brought my kids up JW's

One still there,( & her daughter my grandchild)another of mine left

married an unbeliever...Was very happy with him,died at 42(cancer)

I pushed her into the cult. I think of all the years I( 18ys) convinced her

it was the truth,,,, If we could help just one see the error of our following

any one that says they know it all.

Mouthy: At the time, you did what you were convinced was best for them. Back then, you simply didn’t know better. Had you known better, you would have done things differently.

Once a month, I visit the teenage residents of a live-in drug and alcohol rehab. Some of the stories are heartbreaking. I’ve heard many of them share how their parents actually gave them marijuana while they were still in grade school. Many of them had parents who were actually cooking methamphetamine in the house right in front of them. We live in a world with a lot of sick people. I’m sure you as a JW parent were doing what you truly believed would protect them from harm and protect them from a lot of the sickness that’s out there. Don’t be too hard on yourself. We humans are gullible, and put our hopes in all kinds of fantastical ideas. Some of us are just slower learners than others.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    Is it parks and recreation if you can clearly remember a skit, a song, a scripture....and it made a true, good difference in how you think of things?

I guess it is considered parks and rec because one of the megachurches (and others I am sure) in our area hold gymnastics and karate lessons or at least sponsor them. My wife is opposed to churches that are 'too worldly.' Yet witnesses are not allowed to participate in these things 'in the world' so where is their outlet? Even my wife schedules sporting events, ballet and gym lessons, and swimming lessons for our daughters simply because these things were denied to her as a child. The whole bad associations thing she would tell me. I thought it all total nonsense.

This used to bother her conscious really bad but she changed her mind when she saw a witness couple sending their son to soccer practice with our daughter one year. They were a prominant couple at that, he works for NASA and she's a high school principal. Both well educated, I am amazed that they are still witnesses. Seeing this gave my wife permission (in her head at least) to sign up our daughters for these 'worldly endeavors.' The sheer irony, all soccer practices and games were held on the lawns of a presbyterian church.

• Sargeant Pepper
    Sargeant Pepper

I was a young person in the 1980's. At that time the generation that saw 1914 were aged between 80 and 100, this fact really focussed the mind as all JWs believed that members of this generation would witness armageddon. We discussed this at every meeting and was our main argument in field service. I was convinced that I would not finish my schooling, own a car, get married etc.

Now that the 1914 generation have passed away what 'proof' do they have that armageddon is just around the corner?

Fear kept many of my generation in line, what is there to threaten todays young JWs with?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit