Why So Many Young People Are Leaving The Watchtower

by Jeremy C 140 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

The embarassment factor growing up, the flag issue, music issues, party issues , lack of school sports, forbidden to join the Boy Scouts, knocking on a school mates doors in service....................I always felt that I was playing on a losing team.

Giordano: One thing you brought up is afterschool sports. This is one area where I think born-in JWs really miss something that can be very beneficial.

There are qualities that young people can learn from afterschool sports. One of them is to build confidence and the capability to engage in healthy competition. True, sometimes the competitiveness gets way out of hand, but I think for the most part, the character traits that it can instill are important for healthy social development and the ability to compete in the market place. One trait that you learn in school sports is training to better yourself and to compete; not to mention the team bonding that one develops with their peers. The job market demands these abilities. Many born-in JWs never really developed much social confidence, and never developed the attributes of healthy competition that are so crucial today. As a result, they feel very foreign to the world around them, and feel incapable of meeting the demands that the 21 st century economy. This is not to say that all JWs are totally dysfunctional, or that all non-JWs magically have these important attributes. It’s just that the Watchtower’s model sabotages young people in so many ways.

• Ding
    Ding

One of the main benefits of competing in school sports is learning teamwork and the proper boundaries of competition.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

I wouldn't advise any young person to walk away from the Watchtower Society and all that it offers.

Run...!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Interesting, well argued and well-presented post, Jeremy. Two things, though:

When you take a look at many of the mega-churches for example, it is very impressive how much they put into creating support groups and programs for their young people.

Absolutely not in any of the mainstream churches in my area, where dwindling congregations and increasingly empty pews are leading to chruches and chapels closing in scores, and the average age of congregations heading into the sixties.

And secondly, I contrast this with the vibrant, enthusiastic and informed young people in the various JW congregations in my area.

So, speaking from my own direct personal experience, I can only say that I do not see young people (in my area anyway) leaving the Watchtower. Not en masse, though of course some are, just as some adults are.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Jeremy,

Excellent post! I really enjoyed reading it.

You are absolutely right on this issue. The Watchtower offers a dry, stale, repetitive and monotonous form of worship and as you said, it is a one size fits all. There is absolutely nothing for young people in any way, shape or form. The best the "faithful and discreet slave" can offer its young people is a lifetime of "service" and more "service" - Bethel, Gilead etc, this is the best they can do.

Any talents or gifts a young person has cannot be pursued unless, of course, it is in Kingdom service.

The advent of social media in the last five years is the final nail in the Watchtower coffin - no longer can they control information as they once could.

I see steady decline over the next few years.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Jeremy,

This is my favorite post this week. I have often considered the same topic with friends who are still Jehovah's Witnesses. It makes no sense to me that they don't do more to reach out to and hang on to young people - especially since these make up at least 60-70% of newly baptized members each year.

Why no youth programs/outings/biblestudy groups?

Our Circuit Overseer spoke to this point in his last meeting with our Body of Ministerial Servants and Elders. He said that some appointed men have taken the opportunity to shepherd young ones in the congregation who were not their children by means of association or person Bible study, rather than spending more time in Field Service. He said that if we were replacing door-to-door ministry with these types of activities that we should stop. He said, "It is not our responsibility to care for other peoples children. As Galations 6:5 says, 'each one will carry his own load.'"

I almost fell out of my chair. I wish I had had the guts to speak up about this, but I bit my tounge. These guys are totally nuts. Period.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Our Circuit Overseer spoke to this point in his last meeting with our Body of Ministerial Servants and Elders. He said that some appointed men have taken the opportunity to shepherd young ones in the congregation who were not their children by means of association or person Bible study, rather than spending more time in Field Service. He said that if we were replacing door-to-door ministry with these types of activities that we should stop. He said, "It is not our responsibility to care for other peoples children. As Galations 6:5 says, 'each one will carry his own load.'"

When an elder actually wants to give a damn, the machinery rolls over him.

Reminds me of my Bethel days.

• donny
    donny

A most excellent post Jeremy!!!! I remember my daughters telling me how friggin boring it was at the meetings after I left. Thankfully neither of them attend meetings anymore.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Great post. I agree with pretty mich everything stated.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Jeremy C, I agree with your ideas. Since the WTBTS is a printing and distribution cult disguising itself as a religion, they really don't want parents to be diverted from passing out literature to raise children. The WTBTS probably doesn't complain too much that parents raise children, because the WTBTS believe that born-ins are their easiest targets for new publishers. Even though the WTBTS doesn't care about ex-JWs, I do feel that members of this forum, should invite as many ex-JWs/JWs as they know to participate in the JWN or other forums like it. At least JWN members care a lot more then the WTBTS for ex-JWs and JWs.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit