VERY interesting (April 1, 2002 WT, p.19)

by stevieb1 30 Replies latest jw friends

• stevieb1
    stevieb1

This statement is prety interesting. It's taken from the very latest Watchtower article (April 1, 2002) The final sentence of paragraph 14 reads:

"If Jehovah's organization knowingly endorsed false teachings, advice to read the Bible would never be given to Jehovah's Witnesses and those to whom they preach."

WOW!!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Stand by for a 'We were deceived" special WT!

I can see it now: Jehovah's visible earthly organisation is of the 'Eve Class', so any deceiving done was prophesied years ago, and all this prophesying we did was because we were deceived in fulfilment of prophesy. JW's are therefore the right religion!

I expect YK will latch onto this one.

Englishman.

Truth exists;only falsehood has to be invented. -Georges Braque

• siegswife
    siegswife

Yet they have the nerve to admonish the flock that 'mature Christians' don't 'harbor or promote' private interpretation of the Bible. In other words, "We don't knowingly interpret the Bible falsely or else we wouldn't encourage you to read the Bible. Nevertheless, you damned well better agree with our interpretation and not take your personal Bible reading too serious. Especially when it becomes apparent that the Bible doesn't agree with our interpretation."

• Intuit39
    Intuit39

Thanks, stevieb1.
    Good one, Englishman!

This is a perfect example of their pompous self-serving idiocy! Faulty logic and boldly stated bullsnit like this used to give me the runs every time I had to conduct the WT study! Thank goodness I finallly realized what was going on.

AARRGGHHH!

• LDH
    LDH

Yeah, and if Jim Jones' followers knew they were gonna end up drinking the kool-aid, they wouldn't have packed all that food!

[8>]

Lisa

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

...and yet the Bethel purge in the 1980's was for EXACTLY that reason - people were reading their bibles without the "benefit" of Watchtower crock-meisters.

Such hypocracy! Don't even recent WT articles advise that the Bible cannot be understood without WTS assistance?

• mustang
    mustang

Next verse: "And above all, we are SPIRIT DIRECTED." (Because our horde of lawyers advised us that this would be proper weasel-wording to evade the 'Death to False Prophets' clause.)

This is yet another instance of the 'we are right, even when we are wrong' reasoning used by WTS.

In this evolving revelation of the way WTS 'does business', it looks like Siegswife may have made the ultimate statement. You could add 'In other words, do it our way or else'.

And I fully expect the follow-up WT/article for which this was an obvious lead-in. The question is did the 'Prophet Englishmun' get the title right!!!

Double AARRGGHHH as Snoopy, would say.

Mustang

• Francois
    Francois

As we say in cooking, "What a crock."

• Gopher
    Gopher

Putting together the quote from Stevie's post and the one from Mustang, we can conclude:

(1) The organization is admitting to (at least unknowingly) endorsing false teachings in the past

(2) They say they are spirit-directed, so

(3) Did the holy spirit direct them to teach lies?

(4) Their wording "advice to read the Bible would never be given" is constructed so as to be deliberately confusing. The obvious implication is that the Bible only SUPPLEMENTS the teachings of the Watchtower society.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

congratulations for this post.

Excellent points Stevieb1 and Gopher!

This one is for the file.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit