They caught me house-sitting in Houston this morning

by Fatfreek 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

I went outside and to the car this morning for some items and saw some walkers (very slow walkers) approaching, in pairs, a few homes away. I knew I had a little time to think. When the doorbell rang I was ready.

We've got a few more days here in Houston, just north of Braes Bayou and near Stella Link Rd. Close friends are on vacation in China and asked us to stay in their home during the time so we jumped at the chance to stay in brand new quarters that probably cost close to 1 million -- and that doesn't include the cost of the lot.

Having lived near Houston many years ago I had much catching up to do now that wife and I are retired. Museums, the zoo, a horseshoe pitching tournament-- are a few of the many items on my list. Talking with JWs was not one of those items -- but all I needed was a few minutes.

There were 4 on the front porch. A young man whose name is Jonathan Ubuntu (pronunciation and spelling), a 40ish accompanied by what may have been his mother. Then, 2 youngsters less than 7 years old. The little boy handed me a folded (closed) Awake. I welcomed them all warmly and played with the children a bit, asking their ages and other trivia.

Then I opened the folded magazine and acted as if I just discovered who they were. "You must be Jehovah's Witnesses", I said. After his startled remark, I stated that I used to study with them many years ago.

"You stopped studying?", was his comeback. "Oh, yes", I replied. "I learned that instead of the lack of contradictions in their doctrine that seems to be their constant claim, I found far too many of them to believe that they are directed by holy spirit -- which is their claim."

"What do you mean", he said.

"Take the resurrection of the Sodomites. Watchtower has taught 6 different positions on this teaching, that is, whether or not they will get a resurrection. Be mindful that I understand the Witnesses feel that new light is constantly brightening their belief system. However, they started in 1879 believing that those folks back then would be awarded a resurrection, then years later, they taught they wouldn't, and on and on - - yes, no, yes, no, yes, no -- count them (as I held my fingers up). A gradual brightening of some light doesn't happen by going on and then going off like a flashlight."

I added that my early studying motivated me to research their religion, along with a few others, in detail. That I even had the WT library on CD and asked if he had that one. He said he did. Well, I added, you can check out the Sodomite resurrection teaching for yourself. All but the first instance (the teaching back in 1879) is on CD.

He asked what their position is today. I said "no resurrection" and asked how long he has been a JW. He said since 1988.

I said that is quite ironic because it was close to that year in a span of less than 2 years where they changed their position 3 times.

He seemed visibly shaken but was feigning to take this all in stride; but I noted that his mother was very uneasy and squirming.

He asked if he could research this and call back later and talk about it. I explained what we were doing in Houston but shook hands and wished them all well, then went inside.

Len Miller

ps: this topic will probably remain fresh in my mind because of the research on my essay.

• moshe
    moshe
    He seemed visibly shaken but was feigning to take this all in stride; but I noted that his mother was very uneasy and squirming.

Great job F-F, - the Sodomite flip-flops were a great idea. She needed a restroom, fast, after you loosened her bowels up!!

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

That's funny, Moshe. When she spoke during introductions it was clear that English is not her native language. The four of them were black and may be of African heritage.

I thought the use of the child to present the folded magazine was clever, but exploitive. Who can resist being approached by someone so innocent?

Len

• garyneal
  • garyneal
    garyneal
    I said that is quite ironic because it was close to that year in a span of less than 2 years where they changed their position 3 times.

Yep, saw that in the video. You did excellent, got him thinking.

• JunkYardDog
    JunkYardDog

fatfreek, jw's just are so surprised to run into any one that knows any thing about the wt . your point about the flip flopping on the sodomities around 1988. was really good . I would have followed up on that and asked him why didn't the wts be honest with you before you joined? some NOOO LITE. I love you made the old lady squrim. even tho they didn't admitt it they kndew they were busted. and will not forget what you told them . enjoy your time off. the dog

• moshe
    moshe

Next time you house sit F-F, bring one of my doormats with you and put it out on the doorstep- when you want some peace and quiet.

-

• moshe
    moshe

Nice to see you here tonight JYD.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Thanks JYD and Gary. Hey, that's a great video which I hadn't seen before. I just verified that 1941 WT, page 367 reference -- a new one for me.

Be honest before you joined? Ha -- that's a good one. That means disclosure which they refuse to abide by and using that common human courtesy. Hey, handing a householder a folded, and closed to boot, magazine is the very beginning of lack of disclosure. It proceeds from there.

Len

• bob1999
    bob1999

They don't knock on my door.

If they did I would love to ask about the generation.

1951 to 1995 generation = the people that were alive to see the events of 1914

1995 genteration = ??? modern day unrepentent Israel.

2007 generation = the remnant

2010 = the remnant times 2. Over lapping generations.

I did have a chance to ask one JW about the 1951-1995 treaching and about how it had changed. (this was before 2007)

I said that the WTS taught that the big "A" would come before the people that saw the events of 1914 had all passed away and that now they don't teach that anymore.

His answer......."well, I never taught that".

This teaching was in most of the Awakes for many years in the masthead/statement of purpose.

So was this guy trying to tell me he had never handed out any of those Awakes?

Things that make you go Huh?

Peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit