The Lord's Memorial Day

by lovelylil 45 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

This is Palm Sunday for me not JDub reject Christ Day. Couldn't bare to go to a KH again.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I quit,

Happy palm sunday to you! I agree that the memorial that the WT puts on IS a rejection of Christ's sacrifice. And the followers have no idea that they are actually doing this. The WT has in effect kicked christians out of the body of Christ.

When the Lord returns, they have a lot to answer to him for. Hope you have a great day today, and a Very Happy Easter next Sunday. Peace, Lilly

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

To answer Mad Sweeney, the WT purports to calculate the date of Nisan 14 every year which would correspond to the first full moon after the vernal equinox (March 21st) in Jerusalem...since the third century, Easter has been calculated as the first Sunday after the full moon (the Paschal Full Moon) following the northern hemisphere's vernal equinox. Good Friday (the Friday before Easter Sunday) would actually correspond more closely to the Lord's Evening Meal, but neither Good Friday or Easter are directly tied to Nisan 14 directly. The calculation for Easter was reported to be established by the Council Of Nicea to unify a method for celebrating Easter by all Christian churches using both the Gregorian and Julian calenders, but there is no proof that this was actually a Nicean decree. I am sure that the naysayers (such as the WTS) have embraced this as fact, proving apostasy through another one of those pesky Council of Nicea proclamations! LOL

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I just go by the Jewish Calender of the current year to figure out the Nissan 14 date. I do this observance annually with my jw, and bible student friends but also partake communion at other local churches too. I don't think there was a limit put on to how often a christian does this. We know WHEN we do it, we do it for the Lord.

Thanks tensyearsafter, for bringing that information out in greater detail.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Thanks lovelylil...and I agree with you that how often and when is not the issue, but why you do it!

It is interesting that the Jewish Passover is starting on April 19th and the Lord's Evening Meal is April 17th...somewhere along the line, the Jewish calender and the JW calculations went out of synch.

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you all have peace! In the predecessor thread, someone asked "What does the Bible say?". Since dear Lil (peace to you!) mentioned that when and how often isn't important (which is true), and if she will indulge me, I would like to share the following (from "the Bible") in the hopes of enlightening those who believe "observing dates, and times, and seasons" has some relevance.

First, WHAT is being "celebrated":

A common misunderstanding is that eating the "bread from heaven" is the same as celebrating the Passover. It is not, per se. They are actually two different celebrations, with our Lord instituting the first (eating his flesh and drinking his blood) on the day of the second (Passover). It is the second that is observed on Nisan 14, starting at "twilight"; the first has no "law" in this regard:

"JAHVEH said to Moses and Aaron in Egypt, "This month is to be for you the first month, the first month of your year. Tell the whole community of Israel that on the tenth day of this month each man is to take a lambfor his family, one for each household. If any household is too small for a whole lamb, they must share one with their nearest neighbor, having taken into account the number of people there are. You are to determine the amount of lamb needed in accordance with what each person will eat. The animals you choose must be year-old males without defect, and you may take them from the sheep or the goats. Take care of them until the fourteenth day of the month, when all the members of the community of Israel must slaughter them at twilight."

Why did he do it on that night? Because HE was to be the "Passover Lamb" whose "blood" was to be sprinkled on the "doorpost" of the "houses" of the people. Why? Because just as it "saved" Israel literally THEN... it was to save "Israel"... SPIRITUALLY now:

"Then they are to take some of the blood and put it on the sides and tops of the doorframes of the houses where they eat the lambs. That same night they are to eat the meat roasted over the fire, along with bitter herbs, and bread made without yeast. Do not eat the meat raw or boiled in water, but roast it over a fire-with the head, legs and internal organs. Do not leave any of it till morning; if some is left till morning, you must burn it. This is how you are to eat it: with your cloak tucked into your belt, your sandals on your feet and your staff in your hand. Eat it in haste; it is JAHVEH's Passover.

"On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn of both people and animals, and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am JAHVEH. The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are, and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt."

This was a precursor to the manna that would keep them alive while in the wilderness.

As the Passover Lamb, however, on the night he died, our Lord told his disciples the HE was the bread from heaven, the TRUE manna... and unlike the Israelites (who died although eating the Passover lamb in Egypt and sprinkling their houses with blood... AND eating manna in the wilderness)... any that ate HIS flesh and sprinkled their "houses" by drinking HIS blood... could live... forever. That although they may die in the FLESH... they could live forever... as a SPIRIT being (i.e., the resurrection). This... is HIS "Passover."

So he, in essence, changed the Passover celebration where a lamb was eaten with bitter greens and unleavened bread... and blood splashed on literal doorposts... to one where HIS flesh is eaten (as unleavened bread)... and HIS blood is drank (via "new" wine) representing a "sprinkling" of blood on one's "house"... the physical body/vessel that "houses" the spirit.

BUT... it was the bread and wine from the preceding MEAL... that he used to implement the new "celebration"... with his disciples. Which is why Paul recorded this MEAL:

"So then, when you come together, it is not the Lord's Supper you eat, for when you are eating, some of you go ahead with your own private suppers. As a result, one person remains hungry and another gets drunk. Don't you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God by humiliating those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? Certainly not in this matter!

"So then, my brothers and sisters, when you gather to eat, you should all eat together. Anyone who is hungry should eat something at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment."

What did he mean? That the meal has a purpose and those who gather to share it should be cognizant of that purpose and not come to overeat (due to being hungry) or reject eating at all (because of having overindulged before arriving). And certainly not come to drink the wine for the purpose of getting drunk. It is not merely a ritual: it is the observance of our Lord's death, as the Passover Lamb, and the eating of that Lamb's flesh and "sprinkling" (drinking) of his blood... that is the making for Israel's salvation.

Second, WHO should eat and drink:

The following verses show, contrary to the WTBTS' very false teachings, that ALL could, should, and can partake (note, while the Passover had some restrictions - i.e., the against uncircumcised, a temporary resident, or a hired worker - there were NONE against the vast mixed company eating the manna):

"I am the bread of life. YOUR forefathers ate the manna in the wilderness and yet died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that anyone may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven; if anyone eats of this bread he will live forever; and, for a fact, the bread that I shall give is my flesh in behalf of the life of the world."

"And the mixed crowd that was in the midst of them expressed selfish longing, and the sons of Israel too began to weep again and say: "Who will give us meat to eat? How we remember the fish that we used to eat in Egypt for nothing, the cucumbers and the watermelons and the leeks and the onions and the garlic! But now our soul is dried away. Our eyes are on nothing at all except the manna."

"I do not want YOU to be ignorant, brothers, that our forefathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea and all got baptized into Moses by means of the cloud and of the sea; and all ate the same spiritual food and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they used to drink from the spiritual rock-mass that followed them, and that rock-mass meant the Christ. Nevertheless, on most of them God did not express his approval, for they were laid low in the wilderness."

EVERYONE who attached themselves to and followed Moses, whether Israelite... or of the "great crowd" that exodused WITH Israel... lived on the manna... and the water than came forth from the rock-mass. It wasn't that Israel alone ate manna and those who went with them ate something else. By means of GOING with Israel... the mixed crowd ALSO passed through the Red Sea... ALSO entered into the Covenant... ALSO ate the manna... and also "followed" Christ.

There was to be... and was... ONE law. For Israel AND those who went with them.

Finally, WHEN should one eat and drink:

There are two "times" and they are born out by when did the Israelites eat manna while THEY were "wandering", awaiting entry into the Promised Land... and when did they celebrate the Passover and under what circumstances.

The Israelites and those who went with them ate manna... and drank from the rock-mass... every day. For the 40 years of their trek. It was what sustained them... DAILY... during their journey. Thus, the bread from heaven... or the flesh of Christ... is the DAILY BREAD that sustained fleshly Israel in the wilderness of Sinai... and SPIRITUAL Israel... in the "wilderness" that is the world we reside in today. It is what we ASK for when we ask, "Give us our BREAD... for the DAY." Or "Give us our DAILY BREAD." Because man does not live by [physical] bread alone... but by the Word... that came forth from God.

However, it is also good that we come together AS A BODY from time to time, at least annually but certainly more often if we wish... to partake TOGETHER. For some, that time corresponds with the Jewish Passover... but it does not HAVE to.

Because in BOTH ways... whether daily as an individual or family... or less frequently, even annually... WHENEVER we do it we "declare" the death of our Lord... and demonstrate our REMEMBRANCE of him. And we do so... "as OFTEN" as we do it.

If, then, our desire it to declare his death... and our remembrance of him... as well as demonstrate our UNION with him... only once per year, so be it; if it is during Passover, so be it: it is between us and him. However, if our desire is to declare his death... our remembrance of... and our UNION with him... "often"... even DAILY... then so be it. Because:

"He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me, and I in union with him."

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the cultivator. Every branch in me not bearing fruit he takes away, and every one bearing fruit he cleans, that it may bear more fruit. YOU are already clean because of the word that I have spoken to YOU. Remain in union with me, and I in union with YOU. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it remains in the vine, in the same way neither can YOU, unless YOU remain in union with me. I am the vine, YOU are the branches. He that remains in union with me, and I in union with him, this one bears much fruit; because apart from me YOU can do nothing at all."

This last statement ["apart from me you can do nothing at all"]... is another reason that many cannot perform the gifts of the spirit and/or folks don't often see them; one cannot, apart from the True Vine. If one is in union only once a year, then, one should probably look to that day as the day to try and use one's gift(s), if one so has them.

I hope this helps. I hope this helps those who are wishing and thirsting to see that you don't have to wait on others, and particularly on certain "worldwide" celebrations, etc. You don't have to go anywhere... and you don't have to be part of any ceremonial ritual or observation. You don't even have to choose a particular day, or "season". All you have to do is discern that you truly are partaking of the flesh of Christ... and drinking his blood... so as to live. Because he IS the Life... and unless you eat his flesh and drink his blood, you have no life... within yourself.

YOUR servant, as I am servant to ALL those of the Household of God, Israel, and those who go with... and fellow slave of Christ... to time indefinite,

SA

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It`s a Big Day for my Christian Friends..

I hope you All have an Enjoyable Memorial..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2212/2357354335_f3a147a047.jpg

I`ll be drinking wine tonight but not for the same reasons..LOL!!..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• anewme
    anewme

I think God cares for everyone who is truly loving of him and his creatures.

Why wouldnt he be?

If you were God, really, wouldnt you have mercy on all those who were earnest in their hearts towards you?

I truly believe this.

But I have also come to respect the part Obedience plays in his loving us. When it comes to dealing with billions of people, he must use obedience as one criteria for separating his true friends and rebels who will not work out in the long scheme of things.

Anewme

• AGuest
    AGuest

Oh, yes, dear OUTLAW (the greatest of love and peace to you!): looks JUST like the table set for our Lord in 30 C.E. and for his disciples after! Can you imagine what he would say if he were to enter a KH on their "fine" celebration night... and in light of their prohibition against eating and drinking for the "great crowd" that supposedly goes WITH "Israel"? I don't think I'd want to be sitting in the front row (wink, wink!). Thank you for thinking of us, your kind words and wishes... and your love, dear one. So many just cannot bring themselves to show such (although I'm sure most have NO problem celebrating certain "winter" festivities and drinking green beer, if you get my drift). Okay, I know this is dear Lil's thread (peace to you, dear one!), so I'll bow out, but I had to say that (both). Peace to you! YOUR servant and a slave of Christ, SA

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Morning (((Shelby)))!!..

Jesus healed the Sick..

I`m sure he could Cure Someone who was WatchTarded..LOL!!..

I can`t imagine going to Memorial and not Participating..

I`m not a Christian but..

I would participate out of Respect for the Ceremony and my Christain Friends..

I hope you have a Wonderful Evening my Friend..

Tell Jesus I said Hi!..

........................ ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit