The Lord's Memorial Day

by lovelylil 45 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

* This thread is for the church and not to be used for debating christianity. I would ask that those who are non-believers please respect the beliefs of others today. Thank you in advance.

For two millenia since Christ's death, Christians all over the world have been participating in what is known as the the Last Supper. Some know this occasion by another name which is the "memorial" of Christ's death. However you shall call it, or how often you shall do it, does not really matter. What does matter is following our Lord's command to do this until he shall come again.

For those partaking at the memorial this year, some even for the first time, I want you to know you are in my thoughts today and my prayers. And I invite you all, whatever time you do partake to post a little note on this thread letting everyone know that you did it, and what your thoughts are about it. Also, if you wish to share scripture or prayers, feel free to do so. For today all christians unite, we are one part of the same body of Christ and we together fulfill our masters command to "do this in remembrance of me".

This year I am attending 2 memorial observances, one today with some bible student friends (online) and one tomarrow hosted at my home for my other christian friends. Since being out of the watchtower I have learned to embrace all my christian bothers and sisters regardless as to whether we are in total agreement on doctrine or not. For Jesus showed that understanding all doctrine was not the identifying mark of a true christian, but rather LOVE is. I have great love for all of Christ's church.

Here is my scripture post to get the ball going, so to speak.

Luke 22;

14 When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. 15 And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. 16 For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”

17 After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. 18 For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”

19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you

Peace to all, Lilly

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

A question. Why follow the WT dates instead of the Easter date the rest of the world follows? Or does the date matter at all and it is just convenient because today is Sunday?

These questions are not to challenge you. I am seriously interested in the "whys" of this. Thanks.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Mad Sweeney, the rest of the world's Easter date is for the resurrection of Jesus on the third day after his death. This observance is to commemorate his actual death, which Christians believe is the sacrifice that atones for their sins. I believe that technically, the world's date for his death would be Good Friday (I think)...but it's not really accurate.

Personally, while I'm not a Christian and will not be partaking, I will commemorate his death in my own way. While I don't believe in the divinity of Jesus, I do believe he existed and was a wonderful person whose views and teachings the world just was not ready for. I think he, as a person, is worth honoring.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I understand what Easter is. It isn't really the point of my question. Why not do it on Good Friday then, for example?

• White Dove
    White Dove

I wanna know why it's so important that the sunset and the moon be full.

That part along with the cakes and ale sound pagan.

Asked with respect, of course.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I do it annually on Nissan 14 with my friends who are Jewish Christians, this is in honor of their passover week. On the Jewish calendar Nissan 14 is tomarrow this year. But most churches do this remembrance weekly or monthly. That is when they give communion to the whole church.

The Jehovahs' Witnesses and their cousins the bible students do it only once per year to commemorate Jesus death as someone already brought out. Easter is about the resurrection of Christ, not the death of him.

I don't think it matters if we get the correct day right, do it once per year or more often, what matters is taking the time to do it and proclaim the death of the Lord. I wrote about the memorial on my blog. http://thekingstable2011.blogspot.com

Mad Sweeney, Thank you for sharing that nice thought about Jesus. Peace to you. Lilly

• White Dove
    White Dove

That's nice:)

• watersprout
    watersprout

I partake every day... I love to partake with others aswel. Any excuse for a get together really! Lol

I will commemorate his death in my own way. While I don't believe in the divinity of Jesus, I do believe he existed and was a wonderful person whose views and teachings the world just was not ready for. I think he, as a person, is worth honoring.

Thats really lovely.

Peace

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

white dove,

It has to do with the passover. The passover is a spring festival that begins on the full moon after the vernal equinox, or Nissan 14.

Lets please not get off topic. You can look up information about the Passover, the last supper and the taking of communion online. Not that I don't want to answer Q's but this link was made specifically for the church. Peace, Lilly

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think that it was very nice, Lovely:Lil.

I also congratulate you for your freedom from the other. (twice over).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit