Walkill Bethel Recreational Facility

by dontplaceliterature 63 Replies latest jw friends

• onemore
    onemore

People…mark my words. Those huge projects at Wallkill and Ramapo NJ are intended to be sold in the near future; either as a retirement facility, an adult community, or as a college campus. If some of you recall, some of the land was purchased from a developer that was supposed to building a college campus in that location, but the company could not complete the project. The Watchtower Construction Inc (made up name) conveniently took ownership of the land and began to build a complex that resembles a modern college campus.

I’m very familiar with this project. Some of the volunteers have served my congregation. Remember, not all of the printing is being done in the US, magazine production has been cut to half, a lot of bethelites were laid off or reassigned. If you count the number of rooms and buildings being constructed, logic will tell you that this complex is meant to house 3,500 to 5,000 people. Doesn’t that tell you something?

• blondie
    blondie

Love George Carlin....

• wasblind
    wasblind

I feel You DPL,

constantly bein' told to keep your eye simple

and bein' made to feel guilty for indulging in

life's pleasures. Only to have this revealed

makes one sick

• Millions
    Millions

Typical WT - one rule for them, another rule for us. The drones outside the HQ have to be reined in and are kept under control via guilt and fear, but the drones inside HQ have to be kept relatively happy so that they will stay and slave for the masters for free for a few more years.

Anyway, surely if the WT was building a 'Farm' it would be a human cloning farm to replenish the dwindling publisher ranks? Something like this I guess:

New Watchtower Publisher Farm

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

maybe they are doing this because the stress of living at bethel is causing so much mental illness/depression...? Maybe their doctors told them they need to treat their slaves in a more humane way...?

Well, I hope nobody is planing to have any (evil) competitions on those ball-courts. Because, you know, if things get out of hand and people start having FUN and making teams and stuff the powers that be will have to shut 'em down.

'Cause the Bible says no fun allowed!

• sir82
    sir82
    a retirement facility, an adult community, or as a college campus.

Sold, or set up as a JW-only facility for any of those purposes?

I have long suspected the WT is quite jealous of the money and prestige of the Mormon church. Imagine the $$$ that could be raked in if the WT started a BYU-like 2 or 4 year university program. JWs would pay hand over fist, ivy league comparable rates to get their kids into such a thing.

Or think of a Del Webb-style JW retirement home complex for old JWs. Maybe have a fraction of the rooms set aside for old COs or pioneers, and the majority of the rooms for old-timer JWs with wads of cash. Maybe even a "promise to donate 100% of your estate to us, and live here free the rest of your days (as long as you are in 'good standing' anyway)" type of thing.

I wonder how long before the WT leadership starts transitioning into different areas to keep the money flowing in. Printing messages of "Doom is coming soon!" in paper books & magazines was a pretty good business model for the first 120 or so years of its existence, but not even the brain-cramped GB can believe it is sustainable in the long term now.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I don't know what the available facilities in the outside community may be...but could it be a ploy to keep the boys on-site in their time off, rather than mingle with "the world"?

The facilities at Patterson and Wallkill are reputed to be good, as the grapevine extends to this part of the world..

This is part of the 'doublethink' that dubs have to perform - on the one hand:

"We are so close to the end that we should not invest in material projects" but also,

"Isn't it grand that our Society is building new factories and Bethel Homes and making them better than ever"

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hmm.

From http://www.co.ulster.ny.us/planning/ucpb/boarddocs/pb_agenda_minutes/nov2008min.pdf

f. Town of Shawangunk Planning Board -Public Hearing on November 5th @7:00PM Shawangunk Town Hall for Watchtower Farms Improvements DEIS - approval for construction of 300 multiple family dwellings in a 3-story building, 2-story parking garage, 3-story accessory building, recreation building, technical equipment building with proposed additions to existing dining room & laundry and dry cleaning buildings on a portion of 1,141 acres. Zoned RAG-4. Mr. Doyle stated that Watchtower Farms is a religious use with over 1,000 people on site. Ms. Beuf added that you don't notice the density out there.

The last sentence made me snicker!

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

I and my family gave the Watchtower our inheritance that is a fact my grandmothe (DIED BROKE WE PAYED FOR FUNERAL) gave it all to the $ociety and I gave them a bundle myself as a young adult making big bucks..

In Florida my grandparents cong was mostly elderly retires many with accumulated wealth and MANY were writing their families out of their wills and giving it all to the kingdom.

YOU MOTHER F**KERS

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

More details from http://www.timmillerassociates.com/publicreview/shawangunk/Watchtower_Farms_Improvements_FEIS.pdf

Scroll to about half to two-thirds the way down to Table III.F-1 Changes to the Recreational Facilities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit