Walkill Bethel Recreational Facility

by dontplaceliterature 63 Replies latest jw friends

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

My wife and I just visited some friends over the weekend from another congregation. These two are both full time pioneers, and also participate in various construction projects around the country.

The husband just got back from a 3 week trip to Walkill, New York to help with construction on a new residence building at 'The Farm' (Does anyone call it that anymore?).

He showed us a map of the 'campus' which he had sketched in the locations of the new construction projects with a Sharpie Pen. As it turns out (and I think I had already read this on here somewhere), The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society is building an extremely large Recreational Center for the benefit of the Bethel Family. With a creepy gleam in his eye, this brother spoke about how the Rec-Center would have "ever ball-court imaginable" and "an olympic size swimming pool", etc.

I hadn't really given it much thought until this morning, but....WHAT A BUNCH OF FUCKING HYPOCRITES

I am fuming. This is the first time I have really been angry during my "awakening".

After just returning from a Circuit Assembly a couple of weeks ago, where we were admonished to be satisfied with the bare necessities of life, and told to stop trying to maintain our standardof living as the cost of goods increases, The Watchtower Society is taking our money and spending it on a Rec Center???!!!

Just after being told for an entire weekend that we need to simplify our life, and resisit the temptation to spend too much time on recreation; Just after being told in last weeks Watchtower (3/27) in paragraph 16 that "we must avoid needless pursuits, needless weights, that will tire us out" such as "pursu[ing] sports or other leisure activities" because "reasonableness and modesty should move all of us to recognize our limitations and keep unnecessary commitments to a minimum"; Just after being told more-or-less for an entire weekend at the Circuit Assembly that we should be preparing to exit this system of things, not planning for an extended stay ("Noah didn't build a nicer house at the same time he was building The Ark" - was the illustration used)......But The Society gets to build a new Rec-Center????!!!! With our money???!!!!

I am not opposed to Rec-Centers in general, but I find it hard to believe that after all of these years, "in the time we are living" The Branch feels the necessity to provide such a luxary to The Bethel Family.

Couldn't all of the money (Millions, no doubt) be spent on something more condusive the furthering our "urgent message" (i.e. A Super Bowl or World Cup advertising spot)?

What about all of the months (maybe years) of planning and construction? What about the man power and expense to all the volunteers that travel to New York to work on the project? Couldn't all of those resources be better allocated elsewhere?

This is a complete joke.

• finallyfree!
    finallyfree!

lolll!! wow that is a joke!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

cant see them having an Olympic sized swimming pool,what would be the use? and the costs in maintaining these things are eye watering.

• bohm
    bohm

I think the real hypocricy is that the WTS is very quick to beat their drum and tell everyone they are way better and more humble than eg. the catholics or other religions, while at the same time its really the same old story: Give us your money, even if you need them more than we do. There is a word for this, it is greed. I have more difficulty imagining jesus in that swimming pool paid by the poor than i have imagining the exodus as a historical event, and thats saying a lot :-).

Do you think this is one of the things you could mention to your wife?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

@jookbeard

The source this came from is 100% credible. He is a 'company man' all the way. He literally was at the site less than a month ago.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle
    cant see them having an Olympic sized swimming pool,what would be the use? and the costs in maintaining these things are eye watering.

Does this mean that YMCA passes are still out of the question?

Not defending it, but if they a serious about moving everyone out of Brooklyn, they are probably looking for something to keep the attention of the kids staying there.

• Podobear
    Podobear

Times have changed.... when I did my 4 year stint.. I was shacked up with two other guys, and could hardly move in our room. Our food was found, and I clothed myself out of the charity bin. There were no recreational facilities other than a small sauna. On a stipend of £19.50 (approx $35) a month I could ill afford regular trips to the local swimming pool.

I guess the mentality has changed. We did it from the heart, and accepted the poverty it brought on most of us. Little did I know that there was an underlying resentment from some in the congregations.

In hind sight, and through my ministration to members of the British Royals... I can see the same pattern. A wonderful life style with no real input financially from the people benefitting. Closed orders in all faiths benefit the same.

Some, I found, benefitted more than others... sucked up to the Rich.. and an elite class emerged.

WT is no different... and "Lifers" at Bethel know no different either.... otherwise how would the great Printing empire ever continue, without selfless devotion on the part of a few?

Just a thought.

• metatron
    metatron

Perhaps this is inevitable. As the Watchtower and its doctrines become ever more delusional, the guys at the top can't all be witless fools or the organization would collapse. The Bethel life of self denial won't work anymore. They need an Olympic sized swimming pool and more.

metatron

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

WOW! I wonder if they will let the local JW's in to use? probably not! now everyone is going to want to go to the farm. At least they will exercise?! they are a bunch of hypocrits

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

not denying that they are building a facility it just seems incredibly extravagant from an organization that has a history of such penny pinching small mindedness and one that has lavished such luxury on it's leaders and always held such cold hearted resentment to it's mass of poor workers, may be guilty conscience's are coming from the top after the way the last cull of older workforce personnel were dumped out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit