Was the Bible forged? Author claims some New Testament books were written by 'people pretending to be apostles'

by whereami 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

i'll have to get the book, i would be very interested in reading that the people at that time viewed writing a book with a person's name attached to it like "peter" or whatever was considered lying. i would love to find a primary source that states this, that would be very interesting.

hopefully he provides this in his book. misquoting Jesus was a great read.

• moshe
    moshe

They say Obama didn't write his books either.

• dgp
    dgp

On the Way, I had the same impression.

• ssn587
    ssn587

I have read several of Ehrman's books, and have enjoyed them all, with a gusto, even though some of them go over the same things then that is okay with me, memory rote sort of thing, puts them in my mind and makes them easier to recall. Nothing like a reminder that a book (bible) that is supposedly inerrant is so chock full of holes it resembles swiss cheese. OH we read ad enjoy or not. all have a good day.

• Terry
    Terry

The worst nightmare of evangelicals is an expert evangelical who tells it like it is.

Bart Ehrman is that man.

A large contingent of apologists have mustered the courage to reply to Ehrman's claims. But, they don't do it face to face.

They can't. Those who have tried have flamed out and plummeted to earth snuffed out like a candle.

So, they write popular books aimed at the joe-holy water-six pack reader. People who would be shocked to entertain the idea

their precious inerrant bible isn't pristine.

Ehrman's books overlap in places, however, they specifically concentrate on aspects differing from book to book.

He started out an inerrantist and studied original languages only to be shocked into agnosticism and finally atheism, I believe.

You have to be really rabid as an apologist not to see the evidence clearly presented by Bart Ehrman for the elucidation it provides.

Take the time to go to YouTube and view the debates. Fascinating!

• tec
    tec

I watched a YouTube with him once. Since I was not a biblical inerrantist anyway, I wasn't shocked. I think I even shared some of his outlook.

Tammy

• FollowedMyHeart
    FollowedMyHeart

Bookmarked

• Terry
    Terry

Bart Ehrman is now being assailed by the evangelicals as APOSTATE and a radical with an agenda!

Sound familiar?

They simply MUST go after him personally because of his education credentials. After all, he gained his knowledge in the most conservative

of Bible Seminaries under the most reknown professors!

I've been hunting down rebuttal videos by conservative christians. They are really hotly excoriating him and trying undermine him as

an enemy of Christ.

We have all experienced this treatment ourselves. Not too surprising.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

This guy looks a little like Robert Englund! Imagine him with an iron claw on his hand and with an old hat on his head: "Freddy has something for Jeeezusss!".

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks for posting whereami,

some of this information was new to me, his doubt about some of the Pauline letters being so definite for instance, though he is not alone in this.

Leolaia's comments would be appreciated on this.

She kindly corrected my false view that The Gospel of Matthew was a forgery, it wasn't as such, though who "Matthew" was is in doubt, and it was more or less definately written post 70AD, so the seeming prophecy of Temple destruction was no such thing, and it seems the writer was producing a tract to give impetus to the new sect of Christians by appealing to the Jews, hence the forced application of prophecies from the O.T to Jesus.

Bart Ehrmann comes over as credible in his judgement, and as a nice guy, not someone with an over-inflated ego, and who can blame him for publicising his books ?

Amazing the AD Hominem attacks on him, once someone has to do that, they obviously have no argument to present that refutes his.

Just as "patriotism is the last resort of a scoundrel" so A.H attacks are the last resort of clueless Apologists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit