Was the Bible forged? Author claims some New Testament books were written by 'people pretending to be apostles'

by whereami 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• whereami
    whereami

Was the Bible forged? Author claims some New Testament books were written by 'people pretending to be apostles'

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 4:34 AM on 27th March 2011

Lies: In his new book Bart D Ehrman claims several New Testament books were written by people pretending to certain apostles

A work of fiction? Bart D Ehrman claims several New Testament books were actually written by people pretending to be apostles

Parts of the Bible were written by people who lied about their identity, an author has claimed.

Bart D Ehrman claims many books of the New Testament were forged by people pretending to be the apostles Peter, Paul or James.

Writing in the Huffington Post, Professor Ehrman, best selling author of 'Misquoting Jesus' and 'Jesus, Interrupted', said religious scholars were well aware of the 'lies' of the Bible.

While some were happy to acknowledge them others refer to them as 'pseudepigrapha' - meaning a falsely attributed work -, he wrote.

In his new book , Why the Bible's Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are, Professor Ehrman claims The Second Epistle of Peter - or 2 Peter - was forged.

'...scholars everywhere - except for our friends among the fundamentalists - will tell you that there is no way on God's green earth that Peter wrote the book.

'Someone else wrote it claiming to be Peter,' he writes.

He then suggests scholars who say it was acceptable in the ancient world for someone to write a book in the name of someone else, are wrong.

'If you look at what ancient people actually said about the practice, you'll see that they invariably called it lying and condemned it as a deceitful practice, even in Christian circles,' Professor Ehrman writes.

Many scholars think six of the 13 letters allegedly written by Paul were actually authored by somebody else claiming to be Paul, Professor Ehrman claims.

St PaulSaint Peter With Key

Assumed identity: Professor Ehrman claims someone posing as St Peter, right, wrote 2 Peter, and another posing as St Paul, left, wrote six of his 13 letters

'In the ancient world, books like that were labelled as pseudoi - lies,' he writes.

Professor Ehrman also claims the author of the book of 1 Timothy claimed to be Paul but in actual fact was someone living after Paul had died.

The author then used the apostle's name to address a problem he saw in church, according to Professor Ehrman.

'Women were speaking out, exercising authority and teaching men. That had to stop,' he writes.

Oppression: Professor Erhman claims whoever wrote 1 Timothy was trying to put women in their place and cited the garden of Eden as an example of what can happen when women are in charge

Agenda: Professor Erhman claims whoever wrote 1 Timothy was trying to put women in their place by citing the garden of Eden as an example of what can happen when women are in charge

'The author told women to be silent and submissive, and reminded his readers about what happened the first time a woman was allowed to exercise authority over a man, in that little incident in the garden of Eden.

'No, the author argued, if women wanted to be saved, they were to have babies (1 Tim. 2:11-15).'

Paul is known as one of history's great misogynists, largely based on this passage from the Bible.

But Professor Ehrman argues this label is not necessarily justified because he wasn't the one to write it.

'And why does it matter? Because the passage is still used by church leaders today to oppress and silence women,' writes Professor Ehrman.

'Why are there no women priests in the Catholic Church? Why are women not allowed to preach in conservative evangelical churches? Why are there churches today that do not allow women even to speak?

'In no small measure it is because Paul allegedly taught that women had to be silent, submissive and pregnant.

'Except that the person who taught this was not Paul, but someone lying about his identity so that his readers would think he was Paul.'

Professor Ehrman then goes on to write how the Bible is actually filled with the need for 'truth' but many of its writers were telling a lie.

'It appears that some of the New Testament writers, such as the authors of 2 Peter, 1 Timothy and Ephesians, felt they were perfectly justified to lie in order to tell the truth,' he writes.

'But we today can at least evaluate their claims and realise just how human, and fallible, they were.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370206/Bart-D-Ehrman-Parts-Bibles-New-Testament-written-pretend-apostles.html#ixzz1I7BwPzAF

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

This book is on my amazon wishlist. This isn't new information, but I didn't know it.

• ssn587
    ssn587

Am presently reading it, and in the 1st Chapter right now. Very Interesting, and believeable. So far a good read.

• dgp
    dgp

I'm reading this one right now. Not finished yet, but it's very interesting.

I can say that regarding the Bible, whenever someone talks about Greek manuscripts and the like I find that I sort of have to read between the lines and find other evidence to trust a writer. Otherwise, it would feel like table tennis: your head, like the ball, would go in one direction, and then in the other, at breakneck speed.

That said, this is the second book by Ehrman that I get to read, and I like the way he writes and how he presents his arguments and his facts. You don't get the impression the man is lying to you. He does not resort to intricate reasoning to prove his points. Besides, I had heard this information before from other sources, but perhaps those sources were sort of more tedious to read.

I have read "Misquoting Jesus" and now I'm with "Forged". Now, let me take a side: not only was the Bible miscopied and misquoted; some of the books it contains were actually forged, and for the purpose forgeries are made, namely deceit. The authors knew what they were doing.

Among the forgeries, Ehrman lists 1 and 2 Timothy among the forgeries. Meaning the mysoginistic view of women in the Watchtower actually comes from a forged document.

"Among the sundry problems addressed by the author of 1 Timothy is the role of women in the church. In a strident passage, the author indicates that women are to be submissive and not exercise any authority over a man, for example, through teaching. They, instead, are "to keep silent". This, for the author, is how things simply ought to be, as seen from the very beginning in the Garden of Eden, where the first man, Adam, was deceived by his wife, Eve, and ate the forbidden fruit. But she, the woman, can still be saved, assures the author, by "bearing children". In other words. women are to be silent, submissive, and pregnant".

"It goes like this. Paul's churches were split in lots of ways, as we have seen. One of the splits involved issues of sex, sexuality, and gender. Some Pauline Christians thought that women should be treated as equals and given equal status and authority with me, since Paul did say that "in Christ there is neither male nor female" (Gal 3:28). Other Pauline Christians thought that women were equal with men only "in Christ", by which they meant "in theory", not in social reality. These Christians were keen to tone down Paul's own emphasis on women, and one of them decided to write a set of letters, the Pastorals, that authorized his view in Paul's name. He had other issues he wanted to address as well: the nature of leadership in the church, the need to suppress false teaching, the relations of slaves and masters, parents and children, and so on. He packaged all of these sundry issues in a set of letters and wrote them in the name of Paul, forging them to provide them with the authoritative voice they needed. But not everyone was convinced and not everyone accepted these letters as coming from Paul. Remember that Marcion, for example, did not have them (it is hard to know if he was aware of them). Moreover, the other side of the split over the role of women was not destroyed by the appearance of the pastoral letters. It lived on, seeing Paul as an opponent of marriage and of sex, but as a proponent of women. This other side told stories about Paul that supported their views, and these stories eventually came to center on one of Paul's key converts, Thecla. At one time in the second century both sets of documents were in wide circulation, the fabricated stories about Paul and Thecla and the forged letters of Paul that eventually came to be included in the New Testament".

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Yes, this is old news, but it can not be repeated enough.

I find it interesting that scholars are claiming these books are "forgeries", when we don't even have any evidence that the people who were supposed to have written them even existed! "No way on God's green earth that 2 Peter was written by Peter"? Well who the hell was Peter? How do we know HE existed? We can't even prove Jesus existed! And even if they weren't forgeries, how do we know they were dictated by God or even approved by God? Because of that forgery in Timothy that says "all scripture is inspired"? What a friggin' joke....

Well I guess the earth isn't going to burn up and be dissolved with a hissing noise eh? I grew up shaking in my boots every time I read that bullshit.

Bastards.....

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Nothing new. I think most people understand that the oral words were spoken years before anything was put into writting. That goes for both old and new testament. Most of the books that were chosen for the cannon were already confirmed 200 years before the councils of 392-393ad.

At least, that's my understanding.

dc

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I like Bart Ehrman, but he churns out these books that seem to say the same thing over and over again. I hope I am wrong about this one, but I read 'Misquoting Jesus' and took a look at 'Jesus, Interrupted.' I didn't need to read the same stuff again. 'Misquoting Jesus' was great, though.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WHEREAMI: I read an article about this. Well, if Paul didn't write what has been attributed to him, then some hateful bastard did, and centuries of abuse and harm to women the world over have come about. There will always be an element of doubt when it comes to interpreting or heeding the scriptures. These men lived in another time and place and it is ludicrous to think that their feelings and biases should influence people's behavior today.

• Mary
    Mary

You mean Adam didn't write Genesis??!!! OMG!!

• whereami
    whereami
    I like Bart Ehrman, but he churns out these books that seem to say the same thing over and over again. I hope I am wrong about this one, but I read 'Misquoting Jesus' and took a look at 'Jesus, Interrupted.' I didn't need to read the same stuff again. 'Misquoting Jesus' was great, though.

OTWO...you could have saved yourself some green backs. I posted his audio books here for free awhile back.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/203660/1/Anyone-interested-in-free-Bart-Ehrmans-Miquoting-Jesus-Gods-Problem-audio-books-Great-books

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit